• 69aggie
    Cal poly fraternity lambda chi alpha’s gangster and blackface activities not good for its image says NY Times article. But actually somewhat more disturbing is that the report says cal poly has only 166 black students in its entire 22,000 student body! Also states that of cal poly’s white student most come from the top 10% in terms of family income.
  • 69aggie
    Sorry to follow, but in comparison UC Davis has 700+/- black undergrads in the 2016-17 time line.
  • movielover
    The "blackface" student appears to be naive, not racist. He was on the "black" team, wore black clothing, etc. He penned a sincere, lengthy apology, and claimed he knew nothing about blackface.

The students who dressed like Latino gang members seems to fall into a different area. Black students have been known to dress like nerdy white students. Seems more like stupid or inappropriate, not "racist".

I believe Davis is much larger than SLO.
  • movielover
    The writer doesn't look at who applies to SLO.
  • 69aggie
    Compare- undergraduate enrollment: At UC Davis 29,546. Black students: 4.0%

At Cal Poly 22,500. Black students: 0.8%

All numbers are for 2016 school year. Nearest date I could find. Anyway a big difference for two very similar universities.
  • movielover
    But who applied? We have free choice. Maybe black students prefer to go to Irvine, San Diego State or Howard.
  • 69aggie
    I get the point, but CP is getting hammered in the national media because of the above stats; and to add, in its own student newspaper as being the quintessional “white school” of California public education. Why would a black student want to go to UC Davis rather than CP? It’s in a relatively “white town” in the relatively “white” sacramento region just like SLO is. Both have extensive ag programs (not a big African American interest, at least in california) and a lot off other similarities you all know. Even sac state has a far better percentage of black students? Look, i think CP is a great school and some of the criticism is frankly unfair, but the huge negative stats state the case and the CP administration has to accept the blame for CPs non inclusive reputation. This is a must fix now situation for CP.
  • movielover
    Sacramento white? What?

2010 census 14.6% African American.
  • 69aggie
    Good point didn’t know that.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Don't forget that UC Riverside does a great job with recruiting African-Americans and supporting them once they are enrolled. One of my hs classmates loved her time at UCR. We give UCR some flack, but they serve the I.E. well. Also, here at Davis we have to improve before we can call out Poly. I'm not advocating for AA by any means. I feel like the current holistic system is ideal and a good compromise. Just saying that there is always room for improvement in any area, admissions included, at every university.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!