• 69aggie
    We are now less than 2 weeks form the starting date for the new equestrian coach and we have no coach. We have no known nominees. We have no idea who has applied. It’s now way too late to recruit new players for next season, so what the heck is going on? We’ve had 60 days plus since the equestrian sport announcement for a new head coach and we’ve heard nothing from the AD about the status of this team. If this were MBB or WBB or even football we would have had a new coach by now. I just wonder what is so difficult about equestrian?
  • movielover
    Just hors-ing around.
  • 69aggie
    yeah, a bit over reacting I admit. but if we had Jennifer Gates or Eve Jobs on campus we would get this done much faster!! but, hey, we have a team and Stanford no.
  • 69aggie
    I hate to beat a dead horse (I know bad pun) but we still have no coach. He’s/she’s supposed to start next Monday. This seems to be much harder than anyone thought. I am told by my horsie friends that this should have been expected because these folks do not travel lightly. They have their own horses to consider moving. Most come form the south where horse facilities are much less expensive than in California, much less Davis CA. And they need them in place before they come. Tough job for AD Blue, but I’m optimistic still.
  • Gunrock47
    Blue hasn’t hired a Cross Country coach either and their season starts in a matter of weeks. Swirling rumors that he old head coach was fired four months ago and the new coaching search didn’t begin till last week. Expecting the equestrian and XC hires to be made soon
  • movielover
    Dr Blue waited 3 months to begin the search? Doesn't add up.
  • Gunrock47
    Job was only posted on the NCAA job market page seven days ago. The former coach has been gone since January I believe.
  • Gunrock47
    Hiring was made official today. Emma Petersen- former Pepperdine assistant coach from Florida State and wife of former UCD runner Drew Petersen. Athletic Department sure took its time on this hire.
  • Russ Bowlus
    State fiscal year just switched--may have had something to do with the timing.
  • 69aggie
    Beating a dead horse again. Where’s the equestrian coach? Either AD Blue is trying to get the next equestrian coach of the year or no body wants to come here to coach. Simple as that. I doubt the latter, but this thing is really dragging out. But does anyone care?
  • Gunrock47
    Blue needs to hurry up. Shouldn’t be hiring a coach after the school year has already started. Also, nice pun there.
  • 72Aggie

All things come to he who waits - Equestrian coach named: http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/genrel/071618aaa.html
  • 69aggie
    Interesting that we chose a Western as opposed to an English style coach. Not that it matters much in the long run, but the English riding events: hunter jumper, cross-country, dressage are all Olympic events and far more well known than Western. I guess she has to hire an English assistant coach to handle that style. She seems very young, but is also very accomplished and her record is exemplary.
    I may be way out of touch, but this is the first time I have heard of Anissa Nachman’s name as associate AD. I knew of her in Sac as a high level legislative aide to top leadership. Then she moved to UCD as a budget person. Now as the 2d in command in athletics for budget and finance. She seems to be the person who nailed down the new equestrian coach. Does anyone know her athletics qualifications? Maybe she is a horse person? She has no bio posted on the ICA site.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Kind of fun that we got an Aggie to be the newest Aggie coach. :D
  • 72Aggie
    A friend of my daughter's did a graduate ass't job at Texas A&M. Said she was pretty much "Howdy, Ma'am!"-ed out after just a few weeks.
  • 69aggie
    I’m not a Texas fan, but i will defend TAM. For what’s its worth, i served in the military with A&M grads and they were by far the best officers we had bar none. A&M has produced more officers than all of the service academies combined for all of our wars. I believe they also have the most MOH awardees. The best officer I ever had, however, was a Berkeley ROTC guy. He was jewish and The Sargents hated him. But the troops loved him to a man.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Aggies won their first meet today.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Great start for a new Aggie sport!
  • 72Aggie
    Beat the (Delaware State) Hornets!
  • DrMike
    greatest win in program history, no question!
  • 69aggie
    This meet actually got a fair amount of TV coverage in the Sac Metro area with CBS and Fox affiliates giving coverage to the program’s first ever meet in Davis. I wish i knew how to post those TV shots onto this post like so many of you do. Much still to learn. Great game by the Aggies! The Equestrian site has those TV shots.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This sport is perfect for UCD...another great development in Aggie Athletics by Kevin Blue.
  • 69aggie
    Aggies got thumped pretty good by a strong A&M team down in College Station. But they are in the learning stages at this point. A&M has 60 gals on their roster for only 15 scholarships, so Texas gals do like to ride down in the Lone Star state and they will do it for close to nothing. I guess you would expect that. I have high hopes that we will eventually do very well in this sport, but it will take some time to get there.
  • SochorField
    My 6 year old daughter is horse-crazy. We are heading to Davis for my birthday to see the Ags take on Fresno State. It will be our first Equestrian event (besides the one she participated in at horse camp).
    She can't wait, and hopes to meet some of the girls (and horses)!

Another thing that makes UCD unique!
  • 69aggie
    You are a lucky man, enjoy this time. When it’s gone you can never get it back. Horse crazy girls, I have them too at a later stage in life. They then become horse crazy women and cost more, enjoy!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hahaha...too true and too funny!
  • 69aggie
    Well we lost to Fresno 4-12 this week. Team does very well in the English events and not so well in the western style. This is a bit strange as our head coach is a former champion western event rider. I attribute that to this being our first year and our club tram probably was mostly English and coach had little time to recruit western. So this bodes very well for the Aggies. Coach W will no doubt now recruit some outstanding western riders and build on the English events. I see this team eventually as a top ranked team nationally. Will take some time.
  • 69aggie
    Lost again to Fresno at Fresno 16-3. Again very few points from the western riders. Season is now over. Expect a huge improvement next season when coach is able to actually effectively recruit able riders.
  • 69aggie
    As expected, we did not do well at the Nationals in TX this week. It was an interesting note in the ongoing “student admission fraud” case much in the news, that I noticed why the involved students (all woman) were always in the “minor sports category otherwise known as Olympic sports.” That is crew, soccer, tennis, etc. the NYT article said that these sports have become known in the TIX world as “balance point sports”. So the allegations are that these subject universities were very vulnerable to the fraud of Mr. Singer because they needed and wanted extra woman players on these teams to effectuate big rosters on woman’s teams to actually benefit the very largest men’s programs where they are all very vulnerable to TIX investigation: Football. That said, I have noted that TAM has 60 woman on its equestrian team for 12 scholarships. A bit dicey to say the least, when TAM has one of the largest collegiate ICA men’s programs in the country. Hope we don’t go down that road.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!