• SloStang
    Fresno State has its new Athletic Director - Terry Tumey.
    His AD stops include Claremont McKenna-Harvey Mudd-Scripps, UC Davis and Dominican University. He also served as Director of Football Operations for the San Francisco 49ers. Tumey was an All Pac-10 O-Lineman at UCLA.
  • DrMike
    uh....wow.
  • Riveraggie
    Why did he leave here? I guess it wasn’t because he didn’t like the Valley.
  • zythe
    I believe they fired him, no?
  • zythe
    Sorry, that UC Davis fired him
  • Riveraggie
    Neither he nor they said he was fired, they don’t like the word.
    The chancellor announced it, which kind of implies it was her decision.
    They likely gave him a good reference as they waved goodbye.
  • movielover
    He's a job hopper. Signed a 5-year contract in Davis, and was applying at Fresno State 2 years later.

He was claiming online some large UC Davis fundraising dollars... money for the ATF? Exaggeration?

Did his wife stay in Berkeley?

Next move, UCB in 2 years.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Holy moly.....he certainly had his problems in his short stay here and was "unofficially" shown the door. He wasn't a good fit here, that's for sure, but maybe he'll do better at FSU...
  • PortlandAggie
    I was referencing the hiring, sorry about that.
  • AggieFinn
    Wish him the best, nice guy.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We hit the jackpot with Kevin Blue that's for sure!
  • movielover
    Didn't he telecommute from Piedmont some days?
  • zythe
    UCD agreed to pay Tumey $177,500 from June 2015 to June 2016 in severance.

Read more here: https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/college/mountain-west/fresno-state/article213603144.html#storylink=cpy
  • BlueGoldAg
    It sounds like the Athletics Department at FSU is a mess at the moment financially along with the former, disgruntled AD filing a claim against the school.

We paid Tumey $177,500 in severance pay and wished him well which was a courteous, politically correct way of saying you're fired and yet in the Fresno Bee article Tumey sugar-coated his departure with this comment:

“I figure why not get out while things are going well. I just see great things ahead for UC Davis, and there are some other things I’m looking to do.”

Looks like he's a fairly good spin doctor as well...
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    In fairness, wouldn't we do something like that if we were forced out from a previous job? Its not that much of a stretch.
  • movielover
    But would you take the best job of your career, a huge upgrade, sign a 5-year deal, and then start applying for other jobs after you tank the FB HC search? (2 years in.)

That was Tumey's flub, right? Took forever, and hired a nice man with no HC experience who never ran an offensive or defensive. We saw the results.
  • movielover
    How many DIII ADs have landed an AD job at an FBS program?
  • Riveraggie
    I don’t think hiring Gould caused Tumeys falling out of favor. It was too early in Gould’s tenure.
  • 69aggie
    He never delivered on the athletic training facility that was his priority coming in. And it would have taken some big contributions to get that done. He was not a happy fundraiser. But I also think it was because he had zero interest in the non revenue sports (say woman’s sports) and the lady coaches called him out on it- simple as that and KT for all her faults saw it as well. Nice guy, but. . . Probably Fresneck is a good spot for him.
  • movielover
    I believe at one time he took credit for some big FR numbers on his LinkedIn page, so did Angius. I'm sure a lot of those are aggregate numbers others helped generate.
  • 69aggie
    Speaking of Angius I only knew him at Peak during workouts. He seem too full of himself and not very personable. No wonder he never worked out as a FR. Just curious, who the hell ever hired that guy? I certainly hope we have hired a better person for this very important job!
  • movielover
    What is peak? ... I saw him maybe 20 times, and he never once introduced himself. He had his crew, his tailgate... I said hello to Tumey maybe three times, third time with his FR partner who made zero attempt to even say hello. Did GW or LS hire Angius?

I wonder if Takeda will follow Tumey to Fresno State?
  • 69aggie
    Peak Performance on 2nd street in davis. An athletic club then. Not there anymore. He was one of those guys who would answer in conversation likely with a smirk and a nod that he “really knew” what the siruatation was, but “could not possibly” tell the rest of us. Not a bad person, but a horrible guy for an FR. everybody in the gym knew he was a fraud. Why not the AD? I do not who hired him or where he is now. i do wish him luck wherever he is.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!