• movielover
    NCAA: FCS football: 2018 Walter Payton Award watch list

(STATS) - "The Heisman of the FCS, it's a revered award that's worth striking a pose over.

"On Wednesday, the preseason watch list of 25 players was announced for the 2018 STATS FCS Walter Payton Award."

I added a few of the top QBs to show who Maier's competition might be.

Keelan Doss, UC Davis, WR, Sr., 6-3, 210

2017: 115 receptions, 1,499 yards, 7 TDs; Big Sky Offensive Player of Year; Walter Payton Award third place; STATS FCS All-America first team

Jake Maier, UC Davis, QB, Jr., 6-0, 200

2017: 306 of 446, 3,669 yards, 26 TDs, 10 INTs; All-Big Sky third team

-----------------------------------------

Devlin Hodges, Samford, QB, Sr., 6-1, 205

2017: 347 of 528, 3,983 yards, 31 TDs, 11 INTs; SoCon Offensive Player of the Year

Case Cookus, Northern Arizona, QB, Jr., 6-4, 200

2017: 275 of 474, 3,413 passing yards, 22 TDs, 6 INTs; All-Big Sky first team

Brad Mayes, Lehigh, QB, Sr., 6-2, 220

2017: 292 of 455, 3,886 yards, 31 TDs, 12 INT; All-Patriot League first team

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-08-01/fcs-football-2018-walter-payton-award-watch-list
  • movielover
    Vacaville Reporter article

"Our stated goal going into games this year is to throw it to him 20 times a game." - Coach Dan Hawkins

http://www.thereporter.com/general-news/20180801/college-football-uc-davis-receiver-keelan-doss-on-why-he-chose-to-return-to-school-rather-than-go-to-nfl
  • Thetoe

I want to put this Dan Hawkins comment in to proper context as I read it because I have it before. Back in February I attended a coaching clinic in Reno with many of our current high school staff. One of the keynote speakers was Dan Hawkins. In attendance were other college coaches who presented at the cllnic. Coach Plough, Speckman and Tucker also presented. In his session, Dan was vintage Dan, telling stories of the things he has learn from coaching football. He went full circle from his days at Cristian Brothers HS to Willamette to Colorado. A lot of self deprecating humor. He had the entire room in tears laughing. During one story that focused on recognizing talent, he showed a few clips of Doss. He said when you have talent you have to get the ball into your talent's hands. He said, "We are going to throw the ball to this guys 20 times a game." He than said is again, louder. He said it a third time, even louder, walking towards and directing that comment to a fellow head coach, Brent Brennan, San Jose St. So reading that quote brought back Dan's session in Reno this past February. It was awesome.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!