• SoCalDavisFan
    I wanted to know how the Aggie players did during summer baseball. Anyone know how they did?
  • SoCalDavisFan
    Where is GoAgs20172 when I need him??
  • Goags20172
    Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in.

I am semi- retired from social media, but I just happened to look up this information yesterday because I wondered the same thing.

Summer ball stats are a small sample + it's the trends that we can learn from. However, the most important thing is that the players get more experience. So just a quick fly- by:

Caleb van Blake has been holding his own with the bat in AK. Nothing to write home about, but he has hit a couple of bombs.

Can't find anything on Briggs. The Arroyo Seco Saints stats link brings you to a website for a different league.

Chris Brown and Alex Trautner have pitched well, mostly as starters, for the Humboldt Crabs, which are basically the small summer baseball league equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters. Jackson O'Boy is doing a decent job at the plate. Incoming transfer Wyatt Tucker is on that team as well. He's struggled a bit on the mound, but apparently he can hit a little.

Andres Lara has done well as a starting pitcher for Redding. The thing about Lara is he, like Joseph Torres, is an undersized pitcher. You don't hear about many successful 5'9 pitchers at the college level. Pitchers are usually taller. If he can get outs consistently. then that's not an issue. Pedro Martinez is barely taller than he is. Tim Collins is about 5'7 if you're being generous.

Steve Ouellette has done alright at the plate. He's also succesfully dabbled in pitching, mop- up work basically. Might as well see if he'd be any good as a reliever for the Aggies; they have plenty of infielders. Even if it's just mop- up work in blow- out games and he still plays in the infield.

Blake Hannah has been lights- out for the Chico Heat as a starter. ERA under 1.00 with a 5- 0 record last I checked.

No idea about Gedestad and Wieser. No stats on the Clarinda A's website. Clarinda lists Gedestad on the roster as "Gadastats".

Denholm has pretty much had a feast- or- famine season at the plate for Rochester (Northwoods). That was pretty much how it went last summer too- crush the ball or strike out. It's the reps that are important, not so much the batting average.

Moffitt, Myers, Sasaki, Rodriguez, and Murray were all in the Perfect Game league back east. Murray has carried over his solid hitting and has flashed some power. Moffitt has been roughed up a little, but it's a small sample. Myers was hitting very well but his season ended early- possible injury ? Sasaki has pitched well, not as well as Hannah, but it's relative to context- different leagues. Rodriguez has pitched very well as a late- inning reliever.

Garrett Kelly has played decently up in Canada. He's hit a couple of homeruns, but I'm surprised he hasn't really tried to swipe some bases.

The UCD baseball twitter references an incoming transfer named Robbie Carling who was the team MVP for the Humboldt B52's. That's encouraging because he did not hit well at Cabrillo College this year. His freshman season was better, and he spent that at San Francisco State, which is coached by Tony Schifano. I wouldn't say Schifano turned that program around because it wasn't terrible when he got there, but it has improved.
  • SoCalDavisFan
    Thank you for your thorough review; much appreciated. Glad to hear that Hannah is pitching so well. I've heard Cooper Morrison , JC transfer, is a good prospect. With returning pitching and bats, along with other Big West programs losing talent, this could be an interesting year for my Aggies.
  • Goags20172
    I was just going over how the new players did this year in hs or junior college ball. I think we have a lot of room for optimism. Here are some summaries from info I obtained from Maxpreps.com and cccbca.com.

P/IF Nolan Meredith (Atascadero HS): had a great year on the mound as a starting pitcher. His batting average was kind of pedestrian for a hs player but he still came up with plenty of big hits, as evidenced by his 24 rbi- that would be a highly productive season for most college players playing in more games. Think he will probably be pitching in relief to begin his aggie career.

P Cade Wesolowsky (La Jolla Country Day School) He received a lot more innings this year than last and gave up quite a few runs, which I think you can just chalk up to having less experience. Still racked up plenty of strikeouts. They'll probably bring him along slowly in the bullpen like Ryan Rodriguez, who also didn't pitch a lot in HS. Looks like a low- risk/high reward reliever for the Aggies. Maybe a redshirt to start. They'll see how it goes.

C/P Nathan Peng (Saratoga HS). I thought he was a good recruit, but he had a monster season both on the mound and at the plate (batted over .500 with 12 homeruns according to Maxpreps). They are going to have a hard time deciding where he should play, but it's a good problem to have. Catcher is kind of crowded with Denholm and O'Boy, but there are opportunities at 1B/LF/DH. Maybe if he earns some starting pitching opportunities he'll bat for himself. They will find a spot for him in the lineup sooner than later.

P Jake Jordan (Elk Grove HS). He still did well as a reliever but didn't pitch as much this year. According to Maxpreps he also played football so maybe a football injury delayed his season ?

IF Jalen Smith (Stockdale HS). He continued to excel at hitting and baserunning, but what most impresses me was his defense. According to Maxpreps he only made 2 errors in 2018, which is outstanding for a middle infielder !

P Justin Smith (Yuba College). As I predicted last year Smith had a much better sophomore season, basically serving as Yuba's primary closer. Had more walks than you'd like but he was tough to hit. According to cccbca.com Smith only allowed 17 hits in 33 1/3 innings. Maybe Connor Loar's replacement ? Loar didn't have outstanding JC pitching stats either, and look what he did

P Wyatt Tucker (College of San Mateo). CSM moved him to the rotation full- time, but he only wound up with 2 decisions, as it looks like the starting pitchers may have been on fairly strict pitch counts. Even their top starting pitcher barely averaged 5 innings a start. Still did well, maybe a long reliever for the Aggies.

OF Cooper Morrison (Reedley College). He duplicated his outstanding freshman season. Not a big basestealer though. I see him possibly starting in right field (though he played center at Reedley) as I'd want to entrust center field at Dobbins stadium to the player with the most experience there- Garrett Kelly.

IF/OF Robbie Carling (Cabrillo College). Didn't have a great year at the plate for Cabrillo, but did very well in summer ball. As one of Tony Scifano's (and Tyler La Torre's as well for that matter) former players at SF State you know he's well- coached. Will probably be a super- utility player.

P Jake Spillane (Mission Viejo HS). A very successful starting pitcher through HS, he apparently threw a 70 pitch perfect game this year, amazing even for a 7 inning game. Sometimes I don't really know what to think about Aggie pitching recruits that get no mention in UCD baseball press releases. Some of them never even throw a pitch for UCD (Diego Fisher last year) Are they mainly late signs or walk- ons or does our sports info dept just not stay on top of it ? I don't know the answer, but he sounds like a great find for the program either way.

OF/IF John Mook (Folsom Lake College). He's not a power hitter, but Mook destroyed opposing pitching this year, hitting over .400 in a tough hitter's league according to cccbca.com . He is a basestealer as well. He could be a similar player to Brett Morgan (Think his name was Brett Anyway) who was here 2010- 12. I could see the Aggies some days employing an outfield of Mook- Kelly- Morrison. from left to right and you would have above- average defense.

According to Bayareaworldseries.com and prepbaseballreports.com the Aggies have added 4 more HS players for this year that I missed:

IF Porter Slate from Petaluma HS. Looks like he has a lot of defensive experience all over the infield.

OF/1B Caleb Vice from Cardinal Newman HS. There was an online scouting report (don't see many available without a subscription service) praised his defense at first and his hitting potential.

P/1B Noah Pyles from Christian Brothers High School. A big (at least 6'7) right hander. They'll probably let him try both positions. If it doesn't work out on the pitching mound he's a big target for other infielders' throws. Funny thing. There's another Noah Pyles out there from Texas who pitches and plays first, and is similarly very tall.

P/1B Ryan Sutter from Serra HS. Serra is a really big name in HS baseball. Looks like Sutter primarily worked as a reliever, but he did start a few games. Given that's usually a very competitive team he probably would have had a bigger role with another team.One thing that really stood out in the Maxpreps stats was that he threw ONLYONE wild pitch in three years of varsity baseball combined. Must have excellent command. He'll be a Vaughn favorite.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!