• CA Forever
    With our first game being on a Thursday, today makes the season officially 1 week away!!! I think that we actually have a chance against the Spartans but it will still take a strong outing. GO AGS!
  • lucche
    Most Spartan fans think this will be an easy win for them. Some even think a 5-6 TD difference
  • Riveraggie
    I wonder what they could possibly know about our team? I haven’t seen any coverage in 10 days. Except for the happy news that we’ve had guys transfer to UCLA and ASU and win scholarships.
    So it’s going to surprise them that we have a team at all.
  • CA Forever
    About all they know is that they need to try to cover Keelan Doss and good luck with that. Doss even destroyed San Diego State's DBs. I think that this could be a good game for us.
  • Riveraggie
    Based on comparative scores last year (Sagarin) we’d have been favored by ten. This starting rating this year in that rating system has us the underdogs by about 4. Based on what I don’t know, And we’ve had competitive games with them in the past. So I don’t think a blowout is likely.
    We’re the more settled team so should be better in the first game of the season, 1st game, proven passing combinations mostly veteran line should put some points up on a team that is still figuring things out. If we get a good game from defense we should win.
  • Riveraggie
    Any news at all about our team? Real radio silence. Are they putting in the wishbone?
    So far all I have seen has been mentioned on this board. Usually we would have some position reviews other than the linebacker article in the Enterprise. I hope they put out a depth chart in the game notes
  • CA Forever
    I'm sure that a depth chart will be posted in the game notes, but there will probably be a lot of ORs on it.
  • Riveraggie
    I see the old pdf versions of the game notes from prior years are no longer linked correctly and the depth chart is not in the game notes html version
    I hope they do publish a depth chart a couple of days prior to game. I have no problem with OR
  • movielover
    WE KNOW THINGS only diehards know, I'm not telling SJ State NOTHING beyond obvious.

I'm sure they know us well... but do they know everything? Have they seen EVERY tape? I bet not.

- Their O line is reportedly very green, D line strong? Or just D looks strong bc of the former?

- QB position still sounds unsettled. But sounds like several scramble.

- They brought in a new OC from Oregon State with an average background?

- They sound young.

I'd say they're a 7-14 point advantage. Depth, home field, size, SPEED, unknown OC.
  • CA Forever
    From what I read on the SJSU fan forum is that their fans are pretty split on the QB situation. Some are saying their rumored starter looks comfortable, but others have said that he didn't look good in a scrimmage. I'm not even sure I would call them a 2 TD favorite right now. Schools last season had ample time to prepare for Doss and were not able to do anything against it. Doss even went off on SDSU and that was Maier's first game.
  • Riveraggie
    Why they should be favored by more than 4 points is a mystery to me. Only justifiable if our defense is unimproved. I don’t think that will be the case but I think we’ll know in a week
  • DavisAggie
    I don't see how SJSU can be considered a favorite from any perspective. Not talent, experience, or performance. Davis has the best player, the better quarterback, and the next best player. If Davis executes, this should not be close. After flirting with mediocrity for the last 15 seasons, this program is about to pop.
  • CA Forever
    I surely hope you are right. The only thing I think SJSU might have is more D1 talent in depth which they could use to grind us down. I agree with you that Doss will be the best player on either side and Maier is fun to watch as well.
  • 69aggie
    I am an old south peninsula guy. SPAL high school league. Cubberley HS (now gone). Most of the best players from all of our SPAL HS teams went to SJSU. I watched many Spartan teams in my HS days as they were always an “underdog” and they used that to motivate their teams and fans. They had great fans. I saw them in the late fifties defeat a very good Stanford football team. Do not underestimate the Spartans in this game. They will come out very intense and very hyped up. They are very big. Physicality may rule the day. If they get the upper hand athletically we will lose this game. I think CA is point on: if they get to grind us down we will not win this game. My RX: a good running game from Thomas. Short passes to Doss/Preece. Slow it down!!!
  • DavisAggie
    Speed it up! (And Hawkins will) They have no one to guard Doss and Preece.
  • movielover
    20 more scholarships? Talented D line? Speed?

Eleven (11) - 3 star recruits signed this past Feb.

They would be instantly better if they cut down on turnovers. Two or three QBs with reps has its advantages, esp when mobile. If one struggles, try another.

I'm hoping for the best, I hope our defense comes along. With a decent defense we could make some noise.

Players to watch:

RB Nevens a 1,000 yd rusher.
    TE Josh Oliver, 6'5", 250#s, had 35 catches.
    LB Ginda, 240#s had 94 unassisted tackles, 175 total.
    DT Bryson Bridges a stud and leader.
    DT Sailosi Latu a load at 6'2", 327#s.
    DBs - recruited 4 from the JCs.
    Freshmen Barth (OL) and Togia (LB) had Pac-12 offers.
  • eastbayaggie
    I was reading their forum, and they said that we're the favorites on 5dimes.

https://www.5dimes.eu/livelines/livelines.aspx#al_31

Edit: We're currently the favorites by 1 1/2.
    :)
  • movielover
    FWIW:

New York Giants watched practice tonight.

Dallas Cowboys watched practice 2 days ago.
  • CA Forever
    In terms of Nevens rushing are you talking about high school because he only had a net 670 yards rushing last season, which is still decent but not the same as a 1000 yard rusher. Looking at perspective again, yes Oliver had 35 catches but only averaged 8.5 yards per catch and had a long of 21 yards on the season. Doesn't seem like a huge deep threat or anything although players can develop season to season. I don't know, I still have a good feeling about this game. I think the will struggle to stop our passing attack but our defense is going to have to step up from where it was last season.
  • Riveraggie

Ginda turned pro.
    So they lost their leading tackler on a team where they ranked 129 out of 130 defending the run.

They seem to be replacing their entire back 7. I think we'll be a little more sophisticated than what they've practiced against.

We've got to be improved on defense though. That's the big question in this game. We are experienced on D but need an infusion of talent from our freshmen and redshirts.
    We've got some tall fast prospects as DBs, and talented linemen and linebackers, recruited over the last two years. If we get a few of the younger players winning spots by merit, it can make a big difference.
  • Bige70
    I think radio silence from the team and limited media coverage makes absolute sense. This is the first winnable FBS game we've had in some time. It would be huge for SoS later in the year if the team is in the playoff hunt. I'm sure our veteran coaches have been scheming this game for a very long time and are sharp enough not to tip our hand at all. This is a big one and I am very optimistic.
  • movielover
    Came on late, Freshman. Average it out, he's at 1,000 yds or better.
  • movielover
    Yes. Every little bit helps. Fans like the LB article, Hawk probably not. I wouldn't say jack, talk in generalities. "We need to execute better".
  • CA Forever
    I get trends throughout the season, but I disagree with crediting someone with stats that they didn't get.

Here's his stats by game:
    DNP
    DNP
    6-12/0
    5-21/0
    10-35/0
    17-94/0
    21-99/0
    22-84/0
    26-112/0
    15-46/0
    21-118/1
    4-11/0
    16-38/0

He missed a couple games and had a stretch of games in the middle of the season where he was putting up yards... He had 1 TD on the season though. 163 carries and 1 TD.

Just for reference... Justin Williams, Namane Modise, and Tehran Thomas all had higher avg yards per rush than Nevens did for SJSU of course he was going up against FBS defenses, but still.
  • Riveraggie
    which was Poly. ? 6-12 ? Anyway he looks consistent.
  • CA Forever
    Poly was their 2nd game of the season. Nevens did not play in that game.
  • Riveraggie
    I think in statistics you should round up and convert to one significant figure so he’s a thousand yard runner by that method.
  • CA Forever
    Those are his raw stats... rushing attempts, rushing yards, and touchdowns. Sure he didn't play in 2 games but I still disagree. He netted 670 yards, you just can't call that a 1000 yard rusher. His avg yards per game was 60. Add 120 yards for the 2 games he missed and that is still only 800 yards.
  • CA Forever
    And I'm not saying the kid is a bad RB by any means. We will definitely have to be on top of him and make sure he doesn't get in rhythm. I just disagree with crediting players with something they didn't get.
  • Riveraggie
    Just my twisted sense of humor. He’s not a thousand yard runner unless he gains a thousand yards
  • CA Forever
    haha tough to tell on the internet sometimes.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!