• CA Forever
    Weber State 10 @ Utah 41 - Weber ended the game with 59 yards of offense...

Western Illinois 23 @ Montana State 26 - Not an impressive outing for MSU's offense, relied on 4 FGs to win this one.

UC Davis 44 @ San Jose State 38 - Great start to the season.

Western State Colorado 10 @ Idaho State 45 - ISU beats up on a D2 team that went 1-10 last season.

Portland State 19 @ Nevada 72 - PSU kept it close for a half, but got demolished in the 2nd half.

Cal Poly 3 @ North Dakota State 49 - CP took a beating and their starting QB went down with an injury.

McNeese 17 @ Northern Colorado 14 - Northern Colorado made a late push, but came up short.

Central Washington 13 @ Eastern Washington 58 - Nothing to see here, EWU dominated as expected.

Northern Arizona 30 @ UTEP 10 - UTEP was ranked as THE WORST FBS team last season, looks like they haven't improved.

North Alabama 34 @ Southern Utah 30 - North Alabama comes out swinging and wins it's first ever FCS game.

St. Francis 7 @ Sac State 55 - The Hornets beat up on a NAIA team, congratulations.

Northern Iowa 23 @ Montana 26 - At one point Montana was up 26-0 and apparently let the foot off the gas.

Idaho 13 @ Fresno State 79 - Idaho proving that the move to FCS was probably appropriate.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bob Dunning mentioned the following about Sac State's, brutal opener against the the Saint Francis of Illinois Fighting Saints:

"EVEN MORE FOOTBALL … an attractive and very large ad in a nearby newspaper featured an excellent 2-for-1 ticket offer for Sac State’s season football opener Saturday night without a mention of where the game will be played or who the opponent is …

Because I am an ace investigative journalist with sources all over the country, I was able to determine that Saturday’s opponent is St. Francis of Illinois, known as the “Fighting Saints,” which is a bit of an oxymoron in my book … the Hornets were very good last year and may be even better this year, but an ad like this doesn’t do anything to help the cause …"

https://www.davisenterprise.com/local-news/dunning/bob-dunning-have-a-seat/
  • BlueGoldAg
    Davis Enterprise: Minefield of a schedule ahead for UC Davis football

Excerpt: "...fasten your seatbelt, coach, because the 2018 schedule at least is equally as daunting, starting with two Football Bowl Subdivision opponents in the first three weeks and finishing with a murderer’s row of Montana, Northern Arizona, Eastern Washington and Sacramento State.

“There is no different (preparation) based on opponent since this is a talented conference from top to bottom,” Hawkins notes. “There are no easy weeks. We just focus on our upcoming opponent and playing the best football. In this conference, every game is decided by a few plays. The team that makes those plays, more often than not, earns the win.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/minefield-of-a-schedule-ahead-for-uc-davis-football/
  • CA Forever
    Cal Poly down 28-3 in the 2nd quarter

Northern Colorado down 17-0 in the 2nd quarter

Eastern Washington up 20-7 in the 2nd quarter
  • CA Forever
    Cal Poly getting brutalized 3-42 in 3rd quarter

Northern Colorado still down 17-0 in 3rd quarter

Eastern Washington up 34-13 at halftime
  • movielover
    NDSU averaged 10.2 yards per carry.
  • BlueGoldAg
    NDSU 49 Cal Poly 3 Final
    McNeese State 17 Northern Colorado 14 Final
    EWU 58 Central Washington 13 Final
    NAU 17 UTEP 7 with 15 seconds to go in the half
    SUU 10 North Alabama 10 with 6:47 to go in the 2nd
  • AggieFinn
    NAU is up 20 on UTEP, 4th qtr
  • AggieFinn

Sorry to say, but feels like Poly program needs a change.

Credit, to NDSU though, they run a Big 10 level football team. (but what do these guys study? Ice Rink Management?)
  • DrMike
    in my youth, there was a weekly feature in the paper ‘the bottom ten’, a humorous take on the worst teams in the NCAA. UTEP was a staple and referred to as ‘University of Texas El Intercepted Passo’
  • BlueGoldAg
    NAU 30 UTEP 10
    North Alabama 34 SUU 30
    Sac State 55 Saint Francis IL 7
    Fresno State 79 Idaho 13
    Montana 26 Northern Iowa 23
  • CA Forever
    Updated. Now time to get ready for week 2!
  • DrMike
    Don’t forget Idaho . List to Fresno 79-13
  • DrMike
    That was Northern Alabama first game as a FCS team. That one is a big surprise
  • SloStang
    Cal Poly has never matched up well with NDSU. Back in 2006 Cal Poly was 7-4 on the season with a win over San Diego State and a last minute 9-10 defeat on the road to #2 ranked Montana. That team went to Fargo and lost 51-14. I am not throwing in the towel just yet. I am hoping we can bounce back next weekend at home against a very good Weber State team.
  • CA Forever
    Any word on Jenkins?
  • SloStang
    Walsh said in post game he may be done for the season. If so I really feel for the kid. He had the talent to be a 3 year starter. He burned his redshirt year his true Freshman season to start one game that Brown was hurt (thus allowing Dano Graves to redshirt and start the following year ahead of him). He then get the starting job last year to only missed the last 6 games to injury. He battled back and and may now only plays one game his senior season. I am hoping it is not as bad as it sounds.

We are better shape to replace him this year than last. Jake Jeffrey has 6 starts under his belt and I think he will have to fend off Rfr Kyle Reid who I think will get the call if Jenkins is out for the year. The most talented QB on the team may be true freshman Jalen Hamler. I do not think we would have seen him play last year, but with the new rule allowing him to play 4 games and still keep his redshirt we may see him some this year.
  • CA Forever
    That's brutal, never like seeing this guys getting injured to that extent... even on a rival team. Best of luck to him. As long as you guys can keep Joe P healthy, you will be a threat in Big Sky play.
  • AggieFinn
    Injuries suck, they just suck.

Wish the kid a strong recovery.

So, of note this week:

NC A&T beat East Carolina
    NAU throttles Texas El Intercepted Passo
    Villanova beat Temple (huge in town upset)
    Nichols State beat Kansas
    Howard played Ohio tough
    Penn State needed OT to beat Appy
    South Dakota took Kansas State to the wire

...and UC Davis dropped 44 on SJSU aka TTU...could've been a Fifty Burger with some made field goals.

Now, no sleeping on San Diego, well coached, well funded, nothing to lose, smart bunch who play sound.
  • DrMike
    I was watching some game Saturday and they were talking about App State, and it was pretty obvious they thought they were still FCS
  • 69aggie
    Maybe I missed it last year, but the new uniforms are a great improvement; especially the use of the old “CA” helmet logo somewhat modernized. The I love the Gunrock idea, but the logo is just way too complex to be part of a sports uniform in this day and age where simplicity rules the day. Bet that Hawk was in on that change.
  • zythe
    I absolutely love this new uniform. Classic is the way to go!
  • AggieFinn

I am totally guilty of that assumption as well.

Okay, so when do NDSU and Montana move up?
  • BlueGoldAg
    NDSU is like the Alabama of FCS currently . They know they're the big fish in a small pond and, if they move up, then they're a small fish in a big pond.
  • NCagalum
    throwingSloStang

NDSU leads the series 4-3 including a 31-28 victory in the last meeting Nov. 10, 2007, in San Luis Obispo, Calif. The Bison scored 22 straight points in the final 10 minutes of the game to erase a 28-9 deficit and won it with Kole Heckendorf's 80-yard touchdown reception from Steve Walker with 38 seconds to go.

Matches up ok in 2007. Nobody has matched up well with NDSU lately except for JMU. Recently, the 2 programs have been going in opposite directions. Line of scrimmage was dominated by NDSU - didn’t need to pass.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!