• BlueGoldAg
    Can you imagine if we were able to host a second round playoff game in Aggie Stadium. Damn! The place would be bursting at the seams!
  • CA Forever
    It would be an incredible moment in Aggie history! I'm really hoping that this season gives us a huge boost to recruiting. Hawkins is already improving our talent, but making the playoffs and getting to the 2nd or 3rd round would be huge for this program.
  • Zander
    I wonder if extra bleachers could go up in the end zones behind the grass? I imagine it would require some sort of permit or fire marshal inspection, but I know Aggie Soccer Field has done that before.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I don't think extra bleachers would be practical or feasible for one game. I think a lot of fans love to sit in the grass areas too. However, if it was raining, sitting in the grass would not be fun.

I've heard there is a capacity restriction by the Fire Marshal but I don't get it especially compared to how we used to pack The Toom to the point that the bleachers were bending and the crowd standing 6-10 deep around the track. For one, there's nothing to burn or break or fall on the fans at Aggie Stadium. Exiting the stadium in some unforeseen emergency (earthquake or bomb scare etc) would be swift and easy given the open layout of the stadium. There are lots of exits and some fans could even exit onto the field and through the tunnel easily as well.

I think it would be easy to get 12,000+ safely in the stadium. If the safety officials think that's a problem they need to visit a lot of other stadiums in the country that seat thousands more and are much more difficult to exit in an emergency and they are considered safe.

Heck, we were packed in like sardines when I was at the Big house in Michigan a few weeks ago (over 111,000). They pack the fans in so tight that you are shoulder to shoulder but it's all good and the fans love it. Our Athletic Department needs to look into allowing more fans into Aggie Stadium if we have the demand.
  • movielover
    Agreed 100%. I can easily see another 2 - 3,000 more in attendance. Remember, it is designed to be expandable. How many exits did Toomey have, 3, 4? AS has multiple large capacity exits, modern amenities, etc.

My guess / hope is Dr. Blue proactively planning and working w the fire marshall, etc. for maximum use of our modern facility. If its gonna be cold, allow people to bring in coffee, staff up concessions, etc. The wildcard is the calendar and school schedule. If its a holiday weekend, or school is out, we won't see a huge turnout.

Do we have some highlight clips of the stadium / fans up?
  • DrMike
    We have had to evacuate the stadium once before in 2010 vs Sac. That was a near capacity and getting folks out for lightening took little time. That being said I can’t imagine temporary seating but there was plenty of space available last night
  • movielover
    Good memory. Agreed. There was one section of completely open bleachers in the corner, and a second sparsely filled.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    It’s darn near impossible for me to get up to campus with the little ones right now...but I’m already proactively hoping that I need to find a way, with maybe the eldest, one of the two weekends immediately following Thanksgiving, knock on wood.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!