• BlueGoldAg
    The Ags now hit the road and head to San Luis Obispo for a rivalry showdown with Cal Poly. The Mustangs will be coming off a bye week after having manhandled Sac State last week. I watched a good portion that game as Poly literally ran all over Sac. They have some very good athletes and, when they get their triple option going, they are a tough team.

Poly will be sky high for the game as the Ags will come into their house in sole possession of first place in the Big Sky and that will be added incentive for them in this rivalry game. We'll need to bring our A game to this one; there are no gimmes in the Big Sky.

Go Ags!
  • CA Forever
    Rivalry games are always a blast and filled with emotion. I thought Cal Poly's win over Sac State was impressive, but then Sac State rolled over again this week end and took a beating from a winless Southern Utah team, so Sac might not be what everyone thought that they were going to be this season. Poly still gave up almost 500 yards of offense to the Hornets and gave up well over 400 to Montana who has also shown to be slipping this season.

My money is on the Aggies, but you never quite know with these rivalry games. GO AGS!
  • CA Forever
    Here is Cal Poly's thread for this upcoming week's Battle for the Golden Horseshoe. It's the initial post, but optimism is currently not high in SLO.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/calpolymustangs/bad-year-for-cal-poly-strange-year-in-the-big-sky--t6352.html
  • cpalum
    First ...you guys should still be celebrating. Your win last night was awesome. Hell I was even pulling for Davis last night. Your offense looks better than ever. For the older guys on this board, Keelan Doss reminds me a lot of Ramses Barden....(for you younger guys that’s high praise from a Mustang fan).

Anyway....Cal Poly doesn’t have a Triple Option as alluded to above. We run the Single Option. Yes we have some athletes but we have an old tired, complacent bum as a coach. I’m pulling for Cal Poly as always and I’m sure it will be a fun game but you guys should feel pretty good going into this one.

I won’t make it to SLO this weekend but I bet they’ll have some righteous Tri Tip and cold beer at the tailgate. At least Mustang fans can be well fed before they get creamed.
  • CA Forever
    I'm a younger guy, but have been watching Davis football for my entire life. Even as a kid I remember Ramses Barden dominating the field. The guy was a freak and a total nightmare to defend against. I understand pessimism on your part though. 2 years ago, Aggie nation was decimated after the Gould era, things can turn around quickly though. Any news on if Walsh is going to be shown the door soon?
  • cpalum
    The same year he went 1-10 our genius AD penned a five year contact extension. We should suck for a while
  • CA Forever
    That's brutal. Well, you never know he could get bought out of his contract even though that seems unlikely for us FCS programs that don't have unlimited funds. I find it hard to believe that he would limit your playbook like he has when you have so many talented runners. Is the QB holding the triple option back?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I thought Poly was famous for the triple option. So you never have a FB and TB in the backfield just the FB?
  • SloStang
    Contact extension was given after the 2016 season in which Cal Poly went to the playoffs (and got dumped by USD).

We have a FB and two SBs in most of the time. CPalum is just saying the play calling lacks imagination and more often than not is a dive by the fullback.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks...I get it now...
  • cpalum
    good call on the 2016...good lord that means he's done in 2.5 years? That may be the best news of the season for me :)
  • 69aggie
    I would get on the phone to Rich Ellerson if I were CP. He’s at Jacksonville State now as an assistant coach. I bet he’d come back in a heartbeat.
  • movielover
    67, 68? ... they could try a 2-year deal with an optional year or two.
  • CA Forever
    I hope that Cal Poly can find a new coach. It's good for FCS in California when we're all successful. We know that the triple option isn't dead as Kennesaw State is running it and is one of the top teams in the country. Just got to find the right personnel.
  • cpalum
    C'mon Ags can't you guys sling some mud...kick us while we are down for gods sake! I'm kidding, its a weird rivalry. I always want to win, at the same time I like Davis. Hell I've told my 15 year old its a school I'd like him to attend....if Cal Poly turns him down :). You guys talk pretty good trash when you play Sac?!?! what gives? Rip some Mustangs. Would it help if I called you the Manure Pile? Farm Extension?
  • ucdavisaggie05
    I think we’re all well aware of how unpredictable this rivalry can be, and that a motivated Poly team will be a challenge.
  • zythe
    We respect Cal Poly a lot. It’s the best CSU in its system.
  • CA Forever
    I respect Cal Poly a whole hell of a lot more than I respect Sac. I had a lot of friends that went to Poly. If there is one thing that I can say about Poly is that I find the triple option incredibly boring.
  • Bige70
    I'd never throw mud at Cal Poly, particularly after our forgotten years during the Gould era. Both schools tend to attract very similar students. Poly was always my favorite rivalry game when I played - good hard fought games, with mutual respect. Sac State on the other hand... jerk players and a weird student body. I'm sure you'll be back very soon.
  • cpalum
    Good grief...well we tried right. Looking forward to a good game and after we get trashed on Saturday I’ll be pulling for Davis to make a deep run in the playoffs.

Best CSU? My friends CP is better than most UCs....truth
  • zythe

No. Truth.
  • Bige70
    Well, there’s a little mud.
  • movielover
    Is SLO the California town most like Davis?
  • Bige70
    slo has the ocean; so not exactly
  • zythe

They have billionaire alumni; I don't think we do.
  • movielover
    Who does Poly have.

We must have a few ... start w Riley Bechtel.
  • zythe

Don't they have the owner of the LA/San Diego Chargers?
  • SloStang
    Did. He just passed away.
  • zythe
    Does Bechtel give money to UC Davis?

We need to start rolling in those huge donations from our wealthy alumni.
  • movielover
    It gets complicated as the Bechtel's have ties to Berkeley.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!