• BlueGoldAg
    I love to see that they are kicking off the upcoming season this way. The article that was just posted at ucdavisaggies.com says that fans who bought season tickets can pick them up at the Fan Fest. Also, the both the men and the women will be giving tours of their respective locker rooms. I'd like to see a dunking exhibition by the men and a 3 point shooting exhibition by both the men and the women. That would be lots of fun.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2018/10/17/mens-basketball-inaugural-uc-davis-basketball-fan-fest-set-for-oct-26-inside-the-pavilion.aspx
  • BlueGoldAg
    Anyone going to be able to attend the Fan Fest tonight?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I'm not going to make it. But I'll be there next week for the double header exhibition.
  • G-Man
    I'll be there with family from Indiana!!! True blue and gold Hoosiers!! treated them to Aggie Lady Volleyball last evening... toured them thru ARC, Women's BB practice, and general campus!! this evening is Aggie Fest and expect a full house!! Building should be rocking!!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Have a great time G-Man!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm from Indiana too! I grew up there in a small town and still have Hoosier Basketball in my blood. I still root for IU but I'll be an Aggie fan when the Ags travel to Bloomington to play the Hoosiers this year.

I hope you and your family have a great evening. Let us know how it was.
  • DrMike
    Anyone attend? Curious to hear how it went.
  • BlueGoldAg
    So am I. It looks like G-Man was attending with his family. I was hoping to hear about from him but nothing yet.

From a few pics I saw posted on the Aggie Athletics twitter it looked pretty sparse.
  • G-Man
    my observation was the men's and Women's teams were there... Coach Gross let the ladies introduce themselves..... Coach Les introduced the men's team... From there it was interactive with a very sparse attendance....Kevin Blue was there and his visual expression was not favorable. My family and I expected and hoped for a far better tune out.... Not sure what the lack of attendance was... My observation was there were far more people in the ARC than at the event....When I queued students in the ARC the response was.... Fan Fest... What is that... Needless to say am looking forward to the up coming season and as always getting the students to attend remains a significant challenge as well as community support for some outstanding student athletes.. On a related note the family from Indiana will be attending the Indiana game wearing Aggie Blue and Gold... Therefore we now have blue and Gold Hoosiers!! On Thursday evening took the Indiana family to the Aggie Women Volleyball game.. Outstanding performance...and Saturday Lady aggies won 3 to 1 against CSUN... holly cow.. There are some very talented and 'Tall' ladies on both sides!! I now have another team to follow!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks for the report, G-Man. It's disappointing that we struggle so much with getting the community and especially the students excited about Aggie sports. Attendance has improved for both the men and the women but, as you know, it's nothing like sports in Indiana or the midwest in general.

Coach Les and Coach Gross and their players have done their part to bring an exciting brand of good basketball to UCD. It's a shame that we just can't seem to fill the Pavilion except if ESPN is there and that's very rare. Then the students come out and have a blast but then don't show up much even after that.
  • G-Man
    First, agreed, if it is ESPN...you get lots of students...then the next game it is the same 300 folks at women's BB..With all the current ways to communicate with students via lots of social media, twitter, instant gram, texting..etc and for this old guy uses facebook that we can not generate the interest and engagement with the student population..

Second, I worked for UC Davis for 35 plus years, served on the Athletic advisory committee for 2 years(yaks spent to many hours listening to faculty who did not get the positive side of athletics) and knew Coach Sochor personally,

third, I now see a shift to a more positive vibe with chancellor May and his spouse, the hiring of Kevin Blue, hiring of coach Hawkins,along with Coach Les and Coach Gross and their staff. All have have created a culture that is positive and supportive of the student athlete..

Finally, I really enjoy watching college sports...and will be at Stanford for WBB and will travel this year to Conference BB Tournament in Anahiem in 2019...after all... I am retired and can make the time to get to the 'live' action
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Finally, I really enjoy watching college sports...and will be at Stanford for WBB and will travel this year to Conference BB Tournament in Anahiem in 2019...after all... I am retired and can make the time to get to the 'live' actionG-Man

I'll see you in Anahiem! My son (who is now a Soph at WSU) and I spend his spring break watching Big West Basketball at its finest (and maybe a trip to D-Land). Hopefully we'll get two Aggie teams playing for the championships.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!