• BlueGoldAg
    The Sac State Hornet published this controversial article about the current slide of Sac State Football alleging that the football culture is driving players away and some players are speaking out:

28 football players left Sac State after 2016 — here’s why

Thomas Frey, Sport editor
    October 3, 2018

Since 2014, 72 players have left the program

Since Jody Sears arrived at Sacramento State in 2014, 72 players have left the Sac State football program — with most leaving after the 2016 season.

A total of 28 players who were underclassmen in 2016 were not on the roster in 2017. Some said they left for medical reasons, some for unknown reasons, and some for other issues like having a disagreement with Sears.

After the 2014 season, 18 players left. Following the 2015 season, 13 left, and following the 2017 season, 13 left. During the 2014 season, the Hornets went 7-5 before recording back-to-back 2-9 season in 2015 and 2016.

“We all left because we wanted something better,” former defensive back Joey Banks said.

Full article here: https://statehornet.com/2018/10/28-football-players-left-sac-state-after-2016-heres-why/
  • Riveraggie
    perhaps it’s relevant that they were better after those guys left in 2016?
    Sac State has always seemed to have large recruiting classes. Can’t keep that up unless players leave..
  • AggieFinn
    Seems like a bit of stirring up s*** to no avail.
  • Riveraggie
    Maybe they should just recommend that recruits look elsewhere. Seems reasonable.
  • 72Aggie
    Back in the dark ages when a handful of Slack fans still wrote on the fan site, they had this to say about the article:

https://www.bigskyfans.com/hornets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2789

Essentially that it is a quickly written, thinly researched hit piece. There are lots of reasons people leave teams, and a new coaching regime usually spurs an uptick in departures.
  • 72Aggie
    And as luck would have it, one of the departures was a QB who went to North Dakota and came back to Sacramento this past weekend to defeat Slack.
  • agalum
    Maybe they should just recommend that recruits look elsewhere. Seems reasonable.

If they can meet the academic requirements, lol.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I have no way to determine the validity of the research that went into this article. It does seem to be a very high number of defections but, given that Sac is largely a commuter school with lower academic admission requirements, the number of players leaving the team may not be overly high by comparison to other schools with similar demographics and admission standards.

Some of the players quoted in the article say they felt like Sears "shamed" them and, if it is accurate, then I think Sac has a coaching problem:

“Jody embarrassed me in front of the whole team,” Johnson said. “He pulled up this play and ripped me for it, not really what went wrong, he just said I got dominated and destroyed and that this is film of terrible football and I should be ashamed.”
  • movielover
    How many of these players landed elsewhere?

Has their graduation rate suffered?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I don't know about their graduation rates. Quite a few of the players they note in the article went on to play elsewhere. Several to FBS programs where a few have become starters.
  • 72Aggie
    It is hard to blame this year's performance on players who left two years ago. They had a good season last year after those departures and were at least thinking playoffs as they played the Causeway game. Did he have similar problems at EWU and WSU? Then again, looking at Sear's overall W-L record, last year's success may have been the blip rather than this year's anemic performance.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!