• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies (6-3) head across the Causeway for their annual battle with the Hornets (4-6) at 2 pm Sunday. I expect this to be a tough match up for the Ags. The Hornets run and gun like no other team in women's college basketball. They are quick and athletic and will use a harassing pressure defense to try and force TO's all while launching 3's and quick shots at every slight opening they get. It's an unorthodox scheme meant solely to score lots of points and run the opponent ragged. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Tha Ags will need to play smart and not get caught up in a flat out shootout. They need to set the tempo of the game to their favor and not get lured into playing too fast and out of control. They will also need to block out and rebound the ball, something that has been a struggle for them this year.

I hope we come out aggressive and play hard with Aggie Pride and bring home the Causeway Cup points.

Live video stream: http://www.bigwest.org/tv/

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies played a tremendous 1st half of basketball and lead the Hornets 56-30 at the break. The Ags exploited the Hornets' pressure defense over and over again and shot 64% overall and 50% from 3. Marly Anderson led the Aggies with 12 and Morgan Bertsch had 10.
  • PortlandAggie
    Wow, I just saw the score :-| We just went over 100 point!
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies blow out the Hornets 110-78. The Ags had 7 players in double figures lead by Morgan Bertsch with 18. All 11 of the Aggies who played got into the scoring column. For the game we shot 61% overall, 45% from 3 and 93% from the line while winning the boards by 15 rebounds 51-36.

It was total domination by the Aggies who played smart and handled the Hornets' trapping full court defense very well for most of the game. We actually exploited their pressure in the first half to build a big 26 point lead but got sloppy at times with the ball in the second half and ended up with 21 TO's for the game. TO's were the only area of the game that the Aggies did not do well in.

The Aggies made a statement today about who is the best college women's basketball team in the greater Sacramento area now that they have annihilated the Hornets and beaten Pacific.

Nice job Aggies!
  • CA Forever
    :-O Way to go Aggies!
  • Zander
    Whoa. I thought UCD could probably clutch out a gritty, close win but nothing like this. What a way to take down Sac!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Some more interesting stats from the game: It was the most points scored by the Ags in the D1 era surpassing 102 against San Jose State in 2010 and the second highest point total since 1998 when they rang up 117 at Metro State.

The Hornets were averaging 97 ppg coming into the game. As usual, they shot the ball at will but were only 27 of 84 overall for 32% and struggled from downtown putting up an amazing 42 attempts but hitting only 12 for 28%. Live by the sword, die by the sword...

The Hornets coach, Bunky Harkleroad, had this to say about the Aggies: "They played at a much higher level today and they have a very good basketball team. They hit shots, they play poised, and they are very well coached. I was proud that (our players) didn't quit. In our style of play we don't mind giving up open mid-range jumpers, but that's what they are great at."

http://hornetsports.com/sports/wbkb/2016-17/releases/20161218ug07ax

Other than the disappointing loss to Hofstra, the Aggies have only lost to Stanford and Oregon State both PAC-12 powers. When this team gets in a flow they can be very good and they have only one senior on the team so the future looks bright.

I hope Aggie fans will give this team the support they deserve once they return from the road and begin league play in January.
  • 72Aggie
    This puts the Causeway Cup standings at UCD 35, Slack State 5 out of a total of 80 points.
    Go Ags!
  • PortlandAggie
    Short Highlight

I love the SacBee headline: UC Davis women pound Sac State 110-78 in Causeway Cup
  • ucdavisaggie05
    How did that one get the a-okay from the editor? :D >:O
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's interesting that the actual physical paper edition headline on the sports page differed from the online edition headline. I was taken aback a little when I saw the full headline in the paper edition: "UCD runs up score pounding Sac State in Causeway Cup" since term "run it up" usually carries an unsportsmanlike connotation with it. However, nothing in the article indicates that that was the intent of the headline.

The online edition was as PA stated above: "UC Davis women pound Sac State 110-78 in Causeway Cup." It looks like an editor saw the paper headline and changed it for the online edition.

The headline in the paper edition was a poor choice of words especially for people who don't read past the headlines and, consequently, were left believing that the Aggies were poor sports and poured it on the poor Hornets. Oh well, maybe it will add a little fuel to the rivalry and that's a good thing.

By the Way, if the Ags can continue to play as well as they did in this game, we are in for a heck of a ride!
  • agalum
    I love the SacBee headline: UC Davis women pound Sac State 110-78 in Causeway CupPortlandAggie

That caught my eye this morning as well. You just never see the Bee saying anything positive about UC Davis, and you never see them putting Slac down.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think we're beginning to see the level of frustration that is mounting with Hornets fans. Their football forum has been pretty much dead as a door nail this year and, the few members who occasionally post, have been calling for HC Sears' head.

This year the Aggie MBB team beat Sac solidly in the Golden One and now the rout by the Lady Ags. Not much too be excited about in Hornets sports.
  • aggie6thman
    Sac has to build a new on campus facility. Hard to recruit athletes to attend a school whose gym is about 7 seats larger than the high school gym there were playing in.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!