• Riveraggie
    In case anyone is interested in the game notes they are in the site but not visable on the football home page. You have to go through additional links -> game notes
    I think they should be embarrassed that the notes depth chart still list Ocansey’s weight as 2345 lbs as they have done the previous 9 weeks.
  • DrMike
    I think a real key to this game is keeping it close in the first half. Defense has shown the ability to make half time adjustments and shut things down (ISU, Montana), but these guys are a level above that. Can’t try to play catch-up. Getting an early turnover and capitalizing on it would be HUGE
  • Riveraggie
    This is the best FCS offensive team we’ve faced except for possibly Idaho State.
    And probably the best FCS defense we’ve faced.
    And this is in the second most adverse environment trailing only Montana. Add those together and it’s quite a challenge.
    Possibly offsetting that, we are clearly the best offense they’ve faced and their young QB hasn’t won a game against a defense as good as ours.
    All in all a very unpredictable meeting of two potentially explosive teams. I think either team might blow out the other. I can see almost anything happening except a low scoring game. If it is low scoring I think they win. A low scoring game implies they can contain our offense and I think they are too athletic for us to shut down completely.
  • agalum
    All in all a very unpredictable meeting of two potentially explosive teams. I think either team might blow out the other. I can see almost anything happening except a low scoring game.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Very difficult to prognosticate this one.
  • DrMike
    current Weather Underground forecast shows clear skies for Saturday. Temperature 'peaks' at 39 at game time. 34 at 5:00 which should be about midway through the 4th quarter! on the plus side, there is no wind forecast.

that's cold.
  • agalum
    Between the eagles boards and their obscure little newspaper, they seem to be trying to stir up controversy.

Aggies needle Eagles on Twitter
    “Leave no doubt” has been EWU’s credo since before the season and has been widely published on marketing signs and used as a Twitter hashtag campaign.

He’s starring at a relatively obscure school in a town 15 miles west of the nearest city, Sacramento.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/nov/07/eastern-washington-notebook-uc-davis-star-receiver/
  • Riveraggie
    At least he’s not obscured by fog !
  • movielover
    I wondered about that ... what do you think he beefed up to, 255?
  • CA Forever
    "leave no doubt" is a pretty common phrase in sports, so it's kind of silly that EWU thinks that they have some sort of ownership over it.
  • Riveraggie
    He’s listed in the roster portion of the same document as 245.
    It’s not that we can’t figure out his weight, it’s that they don’t care that they have the same typo in nine iterations of game notes.
  • NCagalum
    I watched their game against Weber and Weber did a very good job containing them (maybe 1 touchdown as I recall). Of course Weber has arguably the best defense in the conference. They contained Barriere (sp?). He is a run first QB and I think the key is to perhaps shadow him or put pressure on him to get him rattled.
  • NCagalum
    and we'll have a better shot on he Fire Turf.

AKA Tampax field. I cannot claim that moniker- saw it on some other board when EWU installed it.
  • NCagalum
    good analysis. Ball security will be big. I like our chances due to Maier’s decisions and level headedness (not to mention accuracy) coupled with all the weapons UCD has. Add to that the experience under adversity. Hope that Filliam is available, but it’s not like in past years where we were thin at RB.
  • NCagalum
    just tried that and evidently you need to be in one of their “service areas” to stream their content.
  • CK2
    Worth noting the game against Weber was EB first start and against a D that is easily the best D in the conference and would be a top 5 FCS D for me. I think he was a little more limited that game facing a D that is lights out. Since that game, the offense more closely resembles their normal offense with lots of passing but I mentioned the adjustments in a previous post.

EWU D is improved but I'm not sure they are the best D UCD has faced at the FCS level. EWU is better then NAU but NAU has the best secondary the Aggies will face all season. IMO, EWU defensive talent level is very similar to that of Montana. (This is where I wish could get my hands on some advanced defensive statistics). Yeah the surface statistics show the EWU allows 50 YPG less than the Grizz but in no way does that adjust for SOS. The Grizz have played 5 teams in the top 50 in total offense and two teams from the Missouri Valley (both top 25 caliber teams)...

Lets look at who EWU has played outside of Wazzou:
    Central Wash: D2
    NAU: Star Qb Cookus got hurt early in game, faced backup with no prep
    Cal Poly: very down year
    Montana St: 75th total Offense
    Southern Utah: highest ranked offense yardage wise on schedule at 24th. EWU faced their 2nd string QB, who made his FIRST start of the year against EWU. SUU is now on their 3rd QB this year.
    Weber St: 106th in total offense
    Idaho: awful year for the vandals, who have gone with mainly a two QB systems b/c neither are good.
    No Colorado: Another backup Qb played

Again, this is not to poo poo the EWU defense but the idea they have proven to be dramatically better than last year is a result of who they have played - bad offense and backup QB's. This will be their first real test of an offense than hum. We will find out just how good they are this week. Jury still out for me.
  • Riveraggie
    Very insightful. Hope you are right about comparable to NAU an Montana,
    It’s encouraging that we scored three first quarter touchdowns against NAU, as that seem like a defense that would match up well against us. Hopefully we saw NAU best effort. I know we saw Montana’s best effort, they were fired up.
  • quadshock
    And this is in the second most adverse environment trailing only Montana. Add those together and it’s quite a challenge.Riveraggie

Is this mainly due to the field? Or the fans The stadium looks like it's an entire league down from Montana.
  • Riveraggie
    I’m suspecting the crowd will be more into it than say Cal Poly and other teams we’ve played on the road this year.
  • CK2
    Yeah I poked fun at it earlier but they’ll get 11k and it will be loud but will pale in compare to what they saw at Wash Grizz. (Basically we shouid not see any false starts bc of noise is my guess). But the home crowd should be strong.

And as for the compare vs Montana d/similar talent/athletes — two ways to look at this. The grizz shut down UCD FH. Think it was like 100 yards. (Part of that was UM controlling ball, Part was false starts putting them in long to go distances, Part execution). Then 400 yards in second half and complete ownership was
    Just dominant.
  • quadshock
    The grizz shut down UCD FHCK2

If they can keep focusing on starting fast, I like Davis' chances.

btw, I never noticed we could quote text. Sorely missing from these boards, but maybe it's not a new feature!
  • agalum
    btw, I never noticed we could quote text. Sorely missing from these boards, but maybe it's not a new feature

For me it only works on my computer but not on mobile devices.
  • AggieFinn
    Well, with this new fire kicking up in Butte/Yuba, seems like a good time to take the show on the road.
  • agalum
    Good news from the Enterprise: https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/ucd-football-ready-for-eastern-washington-inferno/

“Notes: Ulonzo Gilliam, UCD’s leading rusher with 558 yards, is expected back Saturday after missing all but two plays last week with an undisclosed injury ”
  • NCagalum
    truly good news. Gilliam adds multidimensional facets. I think he and TT complement each other well. TT can pound it a bit more and breaks those long ones. Gilliam is a fine receiver and is shiftier. And if Modise gets a hole - man the dude is greased lightning. I suspect he is the fastest player in the 40.
  • agalum
    yep, agree on all points. Each of those backs has their unique forte.
  • DrMike
    Gilliam is a very good receiver, as is Thomas.
  • CK2
    https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-week-11-predictions-ewu-davis-cici

I chose not to comment on the first prediction (nothing to do with EWU winning, which is a very real possibility) just the other stuff in there. Gave me a good laugh.

26.5 hours. GO AGS.
  • Riveraggie
    He’s probably right about the more desperate team. I hope they feel the pressure. Both teams have played equivalent schedules. Difference is they lost one more than we did. One of the bright spots for Davis is our very young offensive line which gets better with experience,
  • CK2
    Chase is a good dude and those guys do a tremendous job covering FCS.

I dont take umbridge with the more desperate team or that they could win or even win by DD. He's making a prediction. I used to make them all the time and was wrong, alot. I think the larger issue is the as you try to break down a game and make a prediction and predicate it on "UCD doesn't have any good wins" is funny. It's one side of the story to fit the narrative. Basically ignoring the fact that EWU's resume is terrible. Who have the beaten? Anyone? Seriously?

Sure, SJSU is a bad FBS BUT the Spartans would be favored by 2 over Montana St on a neutral, whom I'm assuming he would identify as EWU's best win. How about Montana? They would be a 3 point fav right now over MSU. And that "second tier" idaho St team, well they would be a 5 point favorite over Montana St. In fact, SJSU, Montana, and Idaho St would be favored over every team that EWU has beaten this year. So if Davis has beaten nobody impressive, what does that say about EWU? (Well, we didnt get to hear about that....) WE jsut assume since they are name brand that they must be good.

I already had my commentary about the defense everyone is raving about nationally as being SO good.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!