• Goags20172
    Made it out for today's game. One of the players was nice enough to bring me a roster, so I was able to keep score. Not completely sure about all the positions though:

Blue- 5

2B Jalen Smith 0×1, 2BB, HBP, sac bunt, 2 RS
    3B Cameron Briggs 0×4 BB, RS
    OF Garrett Kelly 2×4, RBI, RS
    DH Joseph Myers 0x3 BB, sac fly, RBI
    C Jackson O'Boy 1×4, 2B, RBI
    1B Spencer Gedestad 1x4
    SS Kyler Arenado 0×4
    OF Conner Longrie 1x3 2B
    OF John Mook 2x3 BB, 2 SB, RS

Pitchers:
    Brett Erwin 4 2/3 IP, 3H, 2R, 0ER, 2BB, 3K
    Wyatt Tucker L 2/3 IP,, 0H 1R, 3BB, OK
    Joseph Torres 2 2/3 IP, 4H 4R, 4ER, 0BB, 3K
    Matt Mascio 1 IP, 2H, 1R, 0ER,0BB, 0K

Gold- 8

OF Cooper Morrison 1x4, BB, RS, RBI
    SS Tanner Murray 2x4, BB, 3B, 4RBI
    2B Caleb Van Blake 1×2, RS, sac fly, RBI
    DH- C Nathan Peng 0x5
    C- 1B Cameron Vollmer 1x5
    OF Alec Smith 1x4, BB, RS
    3B Slade Porter 2x5, 2B, RS
    OF Robbie Carling.2x5 2RS, 2B
    1B- P Steve Ouellette 0x3 2RS, RBI

Pitchers:
    Justin Smith 4 IP, 4H, 2R, 2ER, 1BB, 5K
    Ryan Sutter (W) 2IP, 2H, 0BB,0K
    Ryan Rodriguez, 1/3 IP, 1H, 3BB, 0K
    Steve Ouellette (SV) 2 2/3, 0R, 0ER, 2BB, 3K
  • Goags20172
    Some thoughts.

Clearly most of the players look a little rusty. That's to be expected in November.

Tanner Murray's bat is in mid- season form though.

Nathan Peng has some real power. He went hitless, but he smashed a foul ball that flew backwards over the press box and landed on the bathroom roof.

I think the team would probably not like me sharing the roster online but I will say that, but for a couple of players there wasn't much attrition from last year. That is to say almost all the players from last year with eligibilty remaining are back, at least for the pre- season. If I'm reading it roght it appears there are some key player injuries. You might have already guessed one of them from the lineups.

Erwin was pretty sharp. He just hit his pitch count. Justin Smith had a pretty rough first inning, but he really settled down

Kyler Arenado looked good at shortstop, made a couple nifty plays, although he did make an error that led to 2 gold runs.

What can you say about Ouellette ? He throws gas. He throws hard enough to get players to swing right through pitches out of the strike zone. Nice find by whoever the summer league coach was that let him try pitching. He bailed out Rodriguez with a double play grounder in the 7th when Blue had the bases loaded with the score 6- 5
  • SoCalDavisFan
    Thank you for the detailed write up GoAgs! It's good to hear about Ouellette, he sounds like closer material. How did the team defense look?
  • Goags20172
    Given the exhibition nature of the game it seemed relaxed but competitive at the same time. Vollmer threw a couple of blue runners out at 2nd, but the baserunning, aside from Mook, seemed a bit lackadaisical on the Blue side. I'm wondering if Denholm isn't injured again. Both middle infield pairs (Jalen Smith- Kyler Arenado and Van Blake- Murray) looked good. Whoever was playing RF for gold made a great diving catch.

Ouellette and Gedestad were at first, same as last year. Don't know if that will continue if the former pitches frequently. Wouldn't be surprised if they tried Myers or Peng there to get their bats in the lineup.

Porter looked comfortable at third, but he's a bit different from most Aggie infield recruits in that he split his time at different positions last year. Most Aggie third basemen come in as shortstops, as do many of their first basemen

I'm not sure where some of these new players fit exactly. There were about 45 players on the roster and the limit is 35 for opening day so it stands to reason some won't make the cut.

Something interesting I hadn't seen before. When the pitcher was warming up each half inning Alejandro Lara, who didn't play, stood in the batter's box + took pitches. I'm assuming this is to better simulate the strike zone. We won't see this during regular games.
  • SoCalDavisFan
    I'm so glad to hear that Jalen Smith is playing well. His glove work will really come in handy. I hope the pitching will be a strength, at least keeping us in each game.
  • Goags20172
    As far as starting pitching is concerned I think both teams are using a 4- man rotation. I only know some of the 8 options from twitter or what I've seen:Chris Brown, Blake Hannah (#1's), Jake Spillane (#2), Brett Erwin, and Justin Smith (#4's) Haven't heard about Jared Sasaki. When I go tomorrow I assume I'll see each team's #3 starter, and those I'm drawing a blank on. Trautner ? Moffitt ? Wieser ? If it goes 7 I'll know all 8.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!