• BlueGoldAg
    It's been a rough week for Aggie fans: the MBB got lit up twice, the WBB lost big at Stanford, the football team got run out of Cheney and the Men's Soccer team lost the Big West Tournament and the auto-bid to the NCAA Tournament on penalty kicks for the second year in a row. Maybe the WBB can bring us a little ray of sunshine with a good performance against the Pacific Tigers today in the Pavilion at 2 pm.

The Ags are coming off a lackluster performance at Stanford. Sure, it was Stanford, but I don't think that Coach Gross and the team are very happy with how they played overall. We've got a lot of new pieces to put in place and it showed but our experienced players need to set an example and play with poise. We didn't do that at Stanford. We rushed our shots and looked discombobulated in the second half particularly.

Pacific was 15-17 last year and come into today's game with a an 89-41 exhibition win over San Francisco State. They are a good shooting team and they averaged 75.8 ppg last year. The Ags lead the all time series 15-13.

Live online stream: http://www.bigwest.org/tv/
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags are off to a horrible start...they have 8 turnovers in the first 5 minutes of the game and all of them have been unforced. This team is not mentally ready to play.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags turn the ball over 10 times in the first quarter and trail 18-13 after the first. Morgan Bertsch is 1-5 missing wide open looks. Hard to know what's wrong with this team but it looks like they are simply not focused.
  • Russ Bowlus
    McKeown 4-4 from long range in the second quarter. :love:
  • BlueGoldAg
    McKeown is the reason we are ahead 40-35 at the half despite 14 turnovers and Morgan Bertsch struggling to hit anything. She's totally out of sync.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Yup, "saw" that in the stats. Pressing a little too much, you think?

8 assists and 14 TO; coach will have a little something to say about that at halftime.
  • BlueGoldAg
    They just seem really unfocused...don't have their heads in the game. Way too many lackadaisical passes.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Pacific is on a 16-0 run and from the closing minutes of the first half until the 7:47 mark of the 3rd. The Aggie starters have come out and turned the ball over 6 more times.

20 turnovers now. If I was Jen Gross I would start subbing profusely and see who wants to play.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Tigers roar out of the half and hit their first 9 shots and put up 30 points in the 3rd and take the lead 65-57
  • Russ Bowlus
    Bertsch making her mark on the game... let's see if it's enough.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Not quite. Good to see some fight in the team, though. Now to fix the reasons they needed to display it...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Crazy ball game. The Aggies played poorly most of the game and were down 19 points 81-62 with just 3:24 to go in the game. Then they on a tear and outscored Pacific 18-2 but fall 83-80. The Ags had a great chance to tie it but turned the ball over with 10 seconds to go. Morgan Bertsch scored 31 points and broke the all-time scoring record and became the leading scorer in Aggie basketball history.

However, the real story of this game was the unfocused, sloppy play by the Aggies resulting in 26 turnovers, many of which were simply poor passes, and a very porous defense. The Ags beat the Tigers last year in Pacific 90-58 to put things in perspective.

Jen Gross has some serious problems to clean up with this team. It was nice to see the Ags come to life in the final 3 minutes but the game is 40 minutes long and the Aggies were not present mentally for most of it.
  • 69aggie
    Poor passes are lazy passes and are therefore selfish. That player hurts her team mates. Who are the players most at fault? I did not see the game. Jen is a good coach. She must have been going crazy from the bench. Kourtney is not a rookie and is very good, but if she or others responsible cant get the team under control on the floor they should be benched. This is not 2017-18. We have to start all over again.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We saw the turnover problem rear it's ugly head last year at times too but today's game was particularly troublesome. The Ags came out very unfocused and lackadaisical. We had something like 5 turnovers in first 6 possessions and they weren't due to pressure by the Tiger defense; it was just throwing the ball away.

The Aggies were not mentally ready to play hard and smart. The starters are just not on the same page with each other and some of our experienced players that need to step up and be the leaders of this team are struggling. The way we rallied at the end of the game is encouraging but I think Jen Gross and the team must be very disappointed so far.
  • 69aggie
    Well, i think Jen has to just jump down their throats and kick some ass. Acting like some spoiled kids it seems.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Jen Gross pays tribute to Morgan Bertsch:

Head Coach Jennifer Gross added, "The fact that record has stood for decades just shows you what an incredible record it was and what a great player Carol was. For Morgan to break it in only the second game of her senior season is pretty remarkable. I think it speaks to the kind of player she is and, the best part, is that she's all about the team and she's extremely humble. She's a special player, she's a special person, and I'm really happy for her."

...and comments on the loss to Pacific:

"I was really proud of the team for the way we showed fight at the end of the game, but there were just too many stretches where we just made a lot of mistakes, turned the ball over, didn't get matched up defensively, and gave up transition buckets," Gross said. "We felt like there were a lot of points that we could have had better control over that we allowed them to have. We just can't do that. We know better than that."

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2018/11/11/womens-basketball-bertsch-breaks-school-scoring-record-in-tussle-with-tigers.aspx
  • oldschool
    The team came out in the 1st and 3rd quarters of the game very sloppily and seemed not to value the ball. Morgan, for as good as she is, had a couple of moments where she gave up on the play because she didn't get the ball in the post as quickly as she would have liked. The sulkiness wasn't long-lasting, but it resulted in TOs and a coast-to-coast by the girl who was guarding her. I hope they can turn it around quick.
  • BlueGoldAg
    You made some good observations but the turnovers stats you quoted are for the first two games combined. We did not have 44 turnovers in the game against Pacific.

Morgan Bertsch and Kourtney Eaton each had 6 turnovers in the Pacific game and the Aggies had 26 TO's total for the game. The team also had 18 TO's at Stanford and which gives them 44 TO's for both games.
  • 69aggie
    That’s not the Kourtney we know. Head not in the game. New boyfriend?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Oh, come on. :roll:
  • oldschool
    Yeah, I caught that right after I posted it. It FELT like a 44-turnover game, but we "only" had 26. :D
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!