• SoCalAggie
    no one can score. Four offense possessions there and nothing. This is brutal to watch.
  • agalum
    Cant buy a bucket
  • SoCalAggie
    Especially because this is a winnable game.. we are down 9 and playing horrible basketball...
  • SoCalAggie
    Look, we have TJ who runs the point and our big men are doing their thing. Our shooters are going to be the difference maker and they aren’t in the gym tonight.
  • agalum
    Arkansa appying full court pressure, we aren’t
  • SoCalAggie
    I think we are doing a fantastic job breaking the press. It’s actually been a highlight.
  • SoCalAggie
    Our D has been fairly solid too. We. Can’t. Score.
  • madcityscott
    Ball security. Ugh.
  • SoCalAggie
    We’ve had this game in single digits multiple time even with how poorly we’ve played. It’s a bummer we can’t score.
  • agalum
    Announcer said 3 pointers have not been kind to us. 2 pointers haven’t either, lol.
  • madcityscott
    24 turnovers. Ouch.
  • aggie08
    There were stretches where D looked pretty solid, but turnovers really hurt us. Arkansas utilized their size and depth to wear us down. This team still has the potential to put it together, but unfortunately lots of work to do (and a really challenging schedule)
  • BlueGoldAg
    Jim Les was subdued in his post-game interview. He said the locker room is very quiet and the players are disappointed. He liked the fight we had tonight but feels like we made just too many mistakes on both end of the floor.

I thought we played pretty good D most of the time and were very physical against a bigger, more athletic team. We handled the press well but threw the ball away way too often after we got it into the forecourt.

Our shooting continues to be miserable. We are 13 for 71 on 3 point shooting so far this year. If you can believe it, we actually raised our 3 point % from 14.7% to 18.3%. and Our overall shooting is only 32.5%.

Les likes to build his teams around defense but, man, I wish he'd go out and bring in at least a couple of players that can flat out put the ball in the basket.

TJ is a very special PG. You won't find a PG anywhere who works any harder than him.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Comments from Coach Les:

"I told the guys in the locker room afterwards that I appreciated their fight. There were a couple instances where we could have folded, but we continued to battle and keep making runs," said head coach Jim Les.

"There are too many good people in that locker room … this will motivate us, bring us closer together and work on the things that made Aggie basketball successful: playing hard, playing together, not beating ourselves and working hard on defense all game long," added Les, regarding his team's start, albeit against a tough non-conference slate.

"I love the character in that room, we are going to fight our way through this."

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2018/11/12/mens-basketball-shorts-ii-mooney-lead-aggies-at-arkansas.aspx
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I'm all for the defense first philosophy, but we had quite a few open 3 opportunities, with the ball with our "best" shooters, and couldn't convert. I don't care how great your defense is, you have to make open shots.

I thought our best lineup last night included Neufeld on the court. He gives us a little inside presence that we don't normally have. And John, though better, is clearly still getting back into b-ball shape.

It'd be nice to win 2 of the next 3 games (UT-CC, UTA, SucSt) just to get some confidence going, both for the players and fans!.
  • DrMike
    I kind of think that if Silar hits his first shot in a game, that will release the pressure he's putting on himself. if he starts to go off, i think the rest will follow. again, personnel-wise, this is essentially the same starters as the end of the season. Stefan and Neufield are both solid additions. Michael O's defense was huge for us last year, so we have to find a replacement, but offensively we should be better than we were.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I think you're right about Michael's defense. We haven't found the right combination, yet, to replace his defensive effort. I'm guessing we might see Mooney there for a while. He might not have Michael's man on abilities, but I think he plays a good team defense (knowing the right rotation).

On a side note, it sure was nice listening to professional announcers yesterday. Of course they were siding with Arkansas, but I thought they very fair and even in their announcing. They even went into a little detail about Printup and how the team adapts to playing with a deaf teammate, and Aggie EVO got a little airtime. It was nice to hear a quality broadcast after having to turn off the last few Big Sky announcers.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I took a look at our final stats last year and was surprised to see that Siler had the lowest 3 point shooting percentage on the team at 32%. The highest 3 point percentage on the team was none other than Michael Onybalu at 45%. I think we lost more than most of us appreciate with the graduation of Michael.

As a team last year we shot 46.5% from the field overall and 37.2% from 3 compared to 32.5% overall and 18.3% from 3 so far this year. That is a dramatic decline...
  • BlueGoldAg
    I thought the announcers were very good and very fair also. They liked that the Ags never folded and were amazed with TJ flying around as the littlest guy on the floor. They also said that the Ags will certainly be battle tested by the time that Big West play begins. I sure hope iron sharpens iron...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah I hope these beatings help push the team to higher levels and not destroy any remaining confidence.
  • SoCalAggie
    on a side note. What do we have to do to get UCD to put the radio broadcast on our online video stream... Scott is a fantastic announcer and I hate that I have to open separate audio and video links and match the broadcast myself...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I’m with you. Scott is very good and it’s tough listening to some other announcers
  • agalum

Regarding the radio broadcast, there is a huge delay between live action and the broadcast. I enjoy listening to the commentary as i watch the game live, especially for football. KDVS’s coverage was very close to play action. I realize for call in radio they need to have a delay - wish 1140 would decrease it for live sports action.
  • SoCalAggie
    I was actually talking about our home broadcasts but away ones would be a bonus too!

Currently the big west UCD home streams have no audio which is terrible...
  • SoCalAggie
    I realize there is a delay but I’m able to mess around with the play/pause of the two broadcasts to align them myself. Surely UCD has the ability to time the delay and overlay the timed audio on the video stream...
  • agalum

Thanks. But i am mainly referring to the broadcast being aligned with live action, and mainly football, for those who enjoy listening while attending the event.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    ah got you. Upgrading our home video/audio is absolutely needed
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!