• smarterray
    Millennials, who knows what will make them happy?
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Just got home from the game. What a nailbiter. Great game. Run D was exceptional. Pass D making critical PBUs and creating turnovers when needed. Need to button up the RZ offense - can't leave that many points on the board against a team like Eastern.

I want revenge.
  • quadshock
    good idea, I contacted one of the newspapers
  • CK2
    GOOOOOOOOO AGS. just home. Was able to stream most of it but not able to comment/post much. Great win. Lots to break down with EWU. The fundamental question is can the Ags d get enough stops? I think offensively they’ll be better prepared. EWU offense is just another animal.
  • DrMike
    I think Hawk was pointing to his head to acknowledge Maier dancing around for 2-3 seconds before the first kneel down. Those seconds were just enough so we didn’t have to give them back the ball
  • agalum
    Wow, what a really fun day of Aggie football. Great tailgate with Finn and his dad/uncle, Dr. Mike and some former players, 05 and son, Sochorfield and son, and a visit by Mike Bellotti!

UNI was tough and just wouldnt go away, especially when they are gifted 3 extra points they didnt earn. Ive never seen that before and was not aware of the fact that FGs are not reviewable. Give the game ball to the defense.

The student tailgate area didnt get the turnout i was expecting. Athletics went all out to provide a fun gameday experience for them. But ultimately, the pack did show up and it looked like the students had a blast. Their timing on when to make noise seemed improved.

Tough road game up next. I’m not making that trip. The Ags have it in them to pull off an upset, but regardless of the outcome, we are 10-2 and playing in the quarter finals of the playoffs. Let that sink in!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I guess I was so tired from all the excitement from the game that I posted the my thoughts in the wrong thread last night so I just now moved it over here (maybe I'm getting too old for that much excitement and a beer or two!):

We just got home after going to dinner after the game and we're worn out and have practically lost our voices. What a hard fought, tough game that was with lots of ups and downs. We almost had them on their heels when that pass went through our reciever's hands and they nearly returned the pick for 6. Then we intercept them in the red zone and a brawl nearly breaks out. I still don't know quite what happened that got several players all riled up and eventually got one of their players ejected.

Lots of big hits and outstanding play by the Aggie defense and a couple of sensational catches by Doss and Harrell. They put a lot of pressure on Jake and we had a tough time getting to their QB. It was an intensely physical game and hope we aren't too beat up.

It was a great atmosphere in the stadium with the fans really vocally supporting the team. I'm a bit bummed that we didn't get a sell out. You can't fault the athletics department for that though. They promoted the hell out of this game and tried about everything they could to get the students to show up. It was a good showing by the students but it could have been a lot better.

The intensity of playoff football is up a whole level. It was so much fun to finally be with a crowd of Aggie fans that really got into the game and made a lot of noise. This is the way it should be all season long.

Super proud of the Aggies. Time for some payback at EWU!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Davis Enterprise: UCD holds off UNI in defensive battle to win first DI playoff game

UC Davis linebacker Mason Moe broke up a fourth-and-10 Northern Iowa pass attempt with a little over two minutes remaining as the Aggies advanced to the third round of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs with a hard-fought 23-16 win over the UNI Panthers Saturday at Aggie Stadium.

“We knew they would be looking for No. 86 (Briley Moore), so we were ready for it,” explained the 6-0, 210-pound Moe, who batted the pass away from the 6-3, 242-pound Moore with an assist from Aggie teammate Isiah Olave.

“I am so proud of our defense,” said Aggie head coach Dan Hawkins. “This might not have been our norm this season when people pay so much attention to our offense, but the defense was just outstanding. We stopped them in the red zone a couple of times and really had some big plays.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/ucd-holds-off-uni-in-defensive-battle-to-win-first-di-playoff-game/
  • BlueGoldAg
    Davis Enterprise: Doss, Aggies made adjustments to win

UCD coach Dan Hawkins weighed in:

“In that second half they started playing a lot more outside the box, and I don’t want to say daring us to run — but they were saying ‘OK we’re going to take away (the passing) part of your game: the fly sweep, the top receivers, the slant routes…’ ”

Hawkins rethought his previous observation and pointed out that Farley probably thought, “OK let’s see if you can run it inside.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/was-playoff-win-a-home-farewell-to-all-american-doss/
  • NCagalum
    the first pick was on Preece. Really should of had it, and had he been paying attention might have helped stop the runaway freight train return deep in UNI territory. Second pick was very perplexing. Seems like the Aggie left takle had a difficult time. The UNI guy (right DE?) was really bringing the heat and Jake is not the most mobile if QBs so threw him off a bit.

The throw that Preece should have caught for TD would of put the game away pretty much. Bottom line is D came through and I think in a way giving D a chance to step up and using running game at critical time were good experiences. Playoff games are different beasts and you have to really step it up.
  • OC Aggie

Great photo of Doss. Kind of reminds me of Bakari Grant's famous catch in roughly the same part of the field ten years ago.

Also nice to get two mentions in that Top 10 Plays video.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Is there a link for those Top 10 Plays video?
  • AggieFinn

It's the third video in my post above
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks! I somehow missed that one...
  • Russ Bowlus
    That looks like his reaction after the non-FG?
  • BlueGoldAg
    That drop by Preece was a big momentum shift but those things happen. We see some of the best receivers in the NFL drop a pass every now and then that hits them in the hands. I really liked how the defense just stiffened up and made a pick after the big, rumbling return of the pick though.

I think the teaching moment that can come from a play like that is to never hang your head and stop playing until you see the play blown dead by the refs. Preece was disappointed that the ball went through his hands and thought the ball had hit the ground. He's normally very sure handed. I think he has something like 9 TD's in 28 catches and he would have had another one there. We'll keep pitching the ball to him. He's a great TE.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think that might have been his reaction to the questionable FG. I don't think I've ever heard the Aggie fans voice their displeasure at the refs so loudly after the replay showed the the FG was probably wide. It was an awesome job by the Aggie faithful giving the refs a long and loud earful of boos and other more explicit remarks. Awesome!
  • eastbayaggie
    For those who want to replay the whole game:

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=c69a1740-fb12-4e50-9664-466702c18975

I particularly enjoyed replaying the last 2 1/2 minutes of the game. :)
  • OC Aggie

Exactly what I was doing earlier! I'd video-capture those last few minutes if I knew how.
  • eastbayaggie

I'm quite sure someone here will eventually capture those last few minutes. :)
  • movielover
    Have watched almost half of the ESPN broadcast b4 the feed froze ... crowd sounded good, stadium looks great, unis awesome, Doss shining. The department went all out for the game, hats off to them ...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!