• Davisbear
    UOP announced that they are cutting field hockey, that leaves very few programs left on the West Coast. Beach Volleyball seems like the preference in terms of sports colleges are adding (easy to install courts and you can use indoor players and they still count as athletes for beach). Field hockey requires a specialized field and it takes a lot of space.
  • 69aggie
    FH is a fairly large roster sport, so if you cut that sport TIX comes into play. So would expect 1 or more men’s sports soon to go as well. It’s been known for a long time Pacific is hurting financially. Academically they cannot compete with the UCs and a kid that cant get into say Sac or Chico can get into Pacific easily. Their law school (in Sac) is bleeding red ink all over the place and has drastically cut back its funding. Ditto dental school in SF. Very hard to recruit good faculty to those types of schools.
  • 72Aggie
    From the UOP news release:

Field hockey competes in the America East Conference, with most teams on the East Coast. It is one of four in California — the others being UC Davis, Cal Berkeley and Stanford — to make up the West Division of the America East Conference. America East notified the four California associate member institutions in field hockey this fall that this opportunity will be eliminated following the 2019-20 season. This change will put the burden on individual schools to schedule games, and for these four programs, it will eliminate automatic bids to NCAA national tournaments after winning conference tournaments.

https://www.pacifictigers.com/sports/w-fieldh/2018-19/releases/20181203nplaxi

So now there are three field hockey schools west of the Missouri River, and a year from now they will lose their already tenuous conference affiliation. Particularly tough for Davis as I think UOP was about the only conference team they defeated in the last few years, and this year they didn't even to that.
  • 69aggie
    Pacifics press release was also very vague. I cannot find any AEC press release that supports this decision; rather Pacific later adds that this was part of a $1 million cut in athletics in general. Does anyone actually believe that Stanford or Cal, not to mention UC Davis will just take this AEC “decision” without objection? Alumni and parents in these small sports (espeically women’s) (FH, beach volleyball, rowing, wrestling, fencing, equestrian, men’s baseball (Cal) are extremely devoted to their offsprings athletic endeavors) will vigorously fight this. Rumor has it that the wealthy UC Davis parent that basically funded the FH program and built the new FH field is a politically connected guy. I doubt that he will let his daughters program go down the tubes due to Pacific budget cuts without a big fight.
  • 72Aggie
    Would dropping field hockey require UOP to make cuts in some men's program? Does it leave them with Title IX problems?
  • 72Aggie
    Here is an article from the Bangor Daily News about the change in the AEC membership and divisional alignment. The article reports it will happen at the end of the 2018 season (i.e., now) rather than at the end of the 2019 season.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/07/17/sports/umaine-sports/america-east-field-hockey-adds-member-to-end-east-west-format/
  • Gunrock47
    Does this mean Cal, Stanford and UCD will compete NAIA? No playoffs and rely on an at-large bid for NCAA berth?
  • 72Aggie
    Certainly not NAIA...but I assume as a small conference without an auto-bid unless they can find another conference that will provide this membership of convenience that the AEC did. Before the AEC association they were in a conference with South Atlantic roots. The article in the Bangor paper notes that the AEC found another school to join as a field hockey member, thus keeping their auto-bid without the cross-country travel problems.
  • movielover
    No teams at UCLA and USC?
  • 72Aggie
    Nope,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_field_hockey_programs
    http://www.telluris.us/hbwave/id12.html

With UOP dropping the sport the closest D-1 field hockey schools to the east of Davis are Missouri State and Iowa. That's it on this side of the Mississippi River.

(This one always surprised me: Not only do neither USC nor UCLA have field hockey, USC doesn't even have softball.)
  • aggiblu
    So this leaves Stanford, Cal and UC Davis with field hockey to the west of the Mississippi. Seems like we could tam up with Cal and Stanford and have teams from the east come and play all 3 of us?
  • 72Aggie
    I think there's a lot of that with field hockey schedules. UCD will travel to the east once or twice a season. Play several teams, often at neutral sites....teams will travel west play the west coast teams....sometimes UCD will meet the team from the east at Cal or Stanford.
  • 69aggie
    Adopting FH over say rowing might have been Dr. Blues first real stumble as AD. It’s hard to say not knowing if there was any evidence out there to indicate Pacific was cutting that sport. But going with any sport that is so very uncommon in the West is, to say the least, going to be problematical. Someone did mention that FH was made financially feasible due to some big bucks from a athlete parent. So maybe thats the reason we got FH. Still wonder why not rowing? We had a very successful program before it was cut.
  • 72Aggie
    There are lots of factors that go into these decisions....but I have never understood why UCD added field hockey. One of the reasons, among many, the school dropped wrestling was that it was not a big west coast sport. There have always been more wrestling teams in the west than field hockey teams.

But I digress.
  • Gunrock47
    When was field hockey added at Davis?
  • 69aggie
    Very good question: 2009. So I was dead wrong to place this on AD Blue. I do not recall who was AD then. Otherwise, still an interesting decision.
  • aggiblu
    Reason Field Hockey was added? There was a donor ready to fund the Field Hockey "stadium" and program.
  • Gunrock47
    So Warzeka?
  • Davisbear
    Hopefully the funding is still in place, they’re going to have to do even more traveling to find opponents
  • 72Aggie
    $tanford is, of course, a whole 'nother story, but they list women's teams in fencing, squash and synchronized swimming. Looking at the schedules, all of their opponents in those sports are in the east.
  • 72Aggie
    Surprised in this day and age that the NCAA sanctions field hockey. It discriminates against left-handers.
  • 69aggie
    New FH coach hired by KB. Dominique Masters. So this sport is not going away any time soon. I bet that KB and Stanford will figure out a way to keep FH on the west coast.
  • 72Aggie
    One step is to grow the sport in the Pacific Time Zone. CIF does not sponsor regional or statewide championships but there are a few sections....Central Coast, Southern, San Diego and North(?) that sponsor the sport. Perhaps colleges in Southern California can pick up the sport.

At last word we no longer have a conference affiliation in the sport, travel to the other side of the Missouri River ain't cheap...
  • 69aggie
    Yes, but we have an very wealthy player parent who is apparently not used being told “no” you can’t do that. I have no idea who he/she is, but if he/she built the FH field hockey field he/she certainly can help KB figure this thing out. And then is still very plucky Stanford who also does not take “no” all that well either. I don’t think Dominque would have taken this job if she didn’t think there was a future here in FH. I think 72 made a very good point. The SoCal area needs this HS sport at another level. Lordy, there is enough wealth down there to get this figured out fast. Also, this is an Olympic sport and guess who gets the Games in 2028? LA.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!