• Riveraggie
    it doesn’t seem Gubrud lost much time to injury in years prior. He was a walk-on in 2014 and redshirted. Held for kicks all year and played one game at QB in 2015, and played 14 games in 2016, 10 games in 2017, (EWU didn’t make playoffs in 2017), and five games in 2018.
    A number of postings on an EWU board think the 1/3 of games includes playoffs and 5 is one third of the fifteen they played, but I think “scheduled games” means scheduled games in the regular season. We’ll see. It seems the precedent would be that anyone injured in first third of a season would get a bonus year; his situation is far from rare. Maybe that policy is fine but I don’t think so.
  • AggieFinn
    If Gubrud was hurt for two years of his Big Sky days, he's going to love the Pac 12
  • CK2
    yeah the only reason it works out i guess is because they went to the title game so they had 15 games thus he qualifies under the 1/3 rule. But i dont know what the other year was that he missed?
  • DrMike
    i thought 'scheduled' meant the original schedule. that's why '4 games' was the magic number for the new redshirt rule (1/4 of 11 or 12). i don't think teams in the post-season get to take advantage of the extra game(s) but who knows.
  • CK2
    Yeah i cant find where he missed more time either? It's an interesting case for sure, intrigued as to what the NCAA will do here. and as you and Dr Mike bring up the scheduled games vs playoff games debate in getting him to the 1/3. We will see. Either way, Ags gotta deal with two more years of Barriere (next year being in the playoffs)
  • 69aggie
    I had to laugh at all the hoopla about the Clemson football team getting served burgers at the White House. As a footnote to this story is the fact that the Clemson team actually has an “Executive Performance Chef”! She sets all the team meals and is quite the strict nutritionist. Now I don’t know if any FCS teams have such a person or even a training table, but we certainly do not. You would think that with our reputation in food and nutrition science that UC Davis would b e in the forefront in making sure our players eat a correct and nutritionally proper diet. I recall many years ago eating at the old Cafe Italia when all of a sudden the UCD basketball team filed into the room. Their meal: pizza. Not something an executive chef would probably recommend as a pregame meal IMHO.
  • Riveraggie
    No wonder some of those guys looked hungry for a burger! Human nature to want what you can’t have.
    Good nutrition is not a settled science. I wrote a paper for an upper division nutrition class in the early 70s. I looked at all the research available on the relationship of various saturated fats in the diet and cholesterol. There was no evidence for the “saturated fat” relationship with cholesterol. Yet it was taken as gospel by most people giving nutritional advice. Since then I’ve been more skeptical about claims from second hand experts. What they say the science says ain’t what the science said.
  • AggieFinn

Hey, Babe Ruth did it on hot dogs and beer!
  • movielover
    ... and houses of ill repute!

And who came up with this gluten phobia!? I had a no gluten bagel once, tasted like cardboard!

A friend in the food industry said fat tastes good, and is filling / satiating.
  • AggieFinn

My sister's gluten free by choice, I guess it works for her. Helps her with energy and keeping weight down.

Does Aggie Stadium have GF options?
  • Riveraggie
    So do blueberries from South America. Key is to eat a variety of fresh food in season. Healthy food tastes good.
  • Riveraggie
    Will Martin offensive lineman in our list at start of thread is on next year’s roster as a senior. Played in 11 games in 2017 but only one in 2018. So I guess he got a medical redshirt.
    Will, plus all the freshmen we recruited in 2017/18 signing class, should provide great depth to a line that loses only one player.
    Only one other offensive position where we lost a starter is wide receiver and that will be fascinating to see who grabs playing time there.
  • CK2
    Gubrud denied eligibility by NCAA but plans to appeal. Remember how I said I read he suffered two injuries but yet a couple of us on here couldn’t find the second? Well, neither could the NCAA. Lol. So denied.
  • Gunrock47
    Injured his self-esteem perhaps
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Grubard won his appeal and is heading to wazzu to replace minshue. He’ll probably lead the nation in yards next year.
  • AggieFinn

Well, that didn't take long.
  • Riveraggie
    I guess scheduled game definition includes playoff games.... not very equitable to allow championship game participants to redshirt players who play in five games and everyone else gets four. Do teams get to round up? Is 5/13 a third?
  • DrMike
    I saw that anyone renewing their season tickets before Picnic Day will receive a replica Big Sky Championship ring. That's a nice 'thank you' to loyal fans.

Season Tickets
  • AggieFinn
    SPRING PRACTICE/SCRIMMAGE SCHEDULE 2019

LINK
  • agalum
    Received my season renewal packet yesterday. No mention of the tailgate area yet.
  • AggieFinn

Talking with the ticket office yesterday, they have no information on the tailgate situation.
  • DrMike
    i asked around last week at the signing party and its still up in the air. lots of ideas being pitched to the various parties involved (fire department, ICA, etc), and nothing definite yet.
  • AggieFinn
    EWU hires former CWU Head Coach Ian Shoemaker back to take on Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach duties. EB has a new guru.

https://goeags.com/news/2019/2/25/football-ian-shoemaker-hired-to-guide-eagle-offense.aspx

wU1srZHN_400x400.jpg
  • fugawe09
    "contingent on EWU's background check"... Really? Why bother? Since they are OK with felony beat downs in fast food parking lots and all.
  • Riveraggie
    Ex-Northern Iowa assistant Pat McCann to be named EWU receivers coach
    https://www.khq.com/news/ewu-football/ex-northern-iowa-assistant-pat-mccann-named-ewu-receivers-coach/article_b7af204a-31d1-5f55-a8a8-92ee4d306df3.html

Darn. He was good here, including recruiting.
  • BlueGoldAg
    He was an excellent coach and recruiter. I hate to see him coaching at EWU with the kind of "win at any cost and leave no doubt" culture that HC Aaron Best has created there.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here's the main reason the future of Aggie football is so bright:

j5t5kgjf50t3awm5.png

gretkodbevp3o5se.png

xdgvkl2ilx80bvv5.png
  • Riveraggie
    New names on the roster including a guy who was on 2010 roster, a self described “brick wall with feet”. https://ucdavisaggies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1504

He was in 82nd airborne hence dropped a few pounds in more than one sense of the word.
    https://www.instagram.com/bigdougied/?hl=en
    Why isn’t Doug Drakeley listed as a sophomore? I don’t think he played after the one season here.
  • AggieFinn
    Noticing that the roster also links to their LinkedIn profiles. Already creating networks through their career page outside of football as students and soon-to-be professionals, very cool.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!