• movielover
    Extremely tough loss to stomach. Tough to think of a game that is more heartbreaking. One minute to go, opponent has to move 80 yards ...

Other tough losses?
  • AggieFinn
    Bloomsburg 2000
  • AggieFinn
    PapaFinn would say Chico State '71
  • fugawe09
    Carson Newman mudbowl
  • AggieFinn
    At UND 2001...only our defense scored points:

• CK2
    Bloomsburg 2000 and there isn’t a close second IMO. 48-29 lead going into the fourth quarter. Best offense in Aggie history? Headed to national champ game with a win. (Would have won). Lost 58-48 I believe? Ags corners were out on islands and bloom just kept abusing the Ags on the outside. Watched this one in person. Just stunning.

2001 is frustrating as well bc UCD outgianed UND (JTO threw over over 300 but UCD couldn’t run the ball) Ags we’re out manned in the trenches. A mobile, NFL caliber QB helped to make up for it by moving all over and making plays (Enos Broke collarbone vs Tarleton St game before and missed this game)
    I believe the following happened:
    -pick in UND endzone from the Und 5
    -missed 25 yard field goal
    -out on downs at the UND 5
    -out on downs at the UND 1 (although if there was replay I think Holloman got in on that final dive)
  • movielover
    What could we have done differently in 2000?

And they lost in the championship.
  • AggieFinn

Finished the game strong!
  • CK2
    I believe That game on YouTube vs UND is all that remains from those great teams of 99-2001. Can’t find anything anywhere (beyond Wikipedia) as the details on the UCD FOOTBALL site starts w scores from 2002. I was covering the team for d2football.com in the 2001 season. Had done a radio show w KDVS leading up to Tarleton St game. I remember no one on the D2 site
    Thought the finesse Ags could hang w UND and we did a big article going back and forth (point/counterpoints) w the MW writer. Fun. Damn that’s a long time ago now.
  • CK2
    I wish I had the game tape to go back and look but I don’t remember a ton of adjustments to stop the guys on the outside
  • movielover
    Did you do radio for KDVS?

I sure love the look of JTs library in San Diego!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Bloomsburg in 2000 by far for me.

Carson Newman mudbowl was more frustrating than heartbreaking. That field was GARBAGE--marching band didn't end up doing our show for safety reasons. :meh:
  • CK2
    no I went on to chat with the guys who called games back then (can’t recall names) leading up to big games. They did a show during the week

When the Ags were in the Great West I did a weekly radio segment with Northern Colorado announcers called “around the great west” that aired before their games and previewed all the game for the week. (Was a quicker breakdown of my column) Those were the days of Vincent Jackson at WR for the Bears.
  • AggieFinn

Saw VJ play @ Toomey...he had 251 of their 296 yards of offense, he was incredible
  • CK2
    basically the equivalent of Doss to UCD the last couple years. He was just a beast in college
  • NCagalum
    Bloomsburg 2000 by far. I was tuning in over internet from Jordan and couldn’t Believe it.

Game against UND was disappointing but never had lead. I watched recently On YouTube. Fun to watch JT gunsling it and run.

Was surprised not to see O Brien in D2 final (pony express to Utah was slow back then). Thought they would have had a chance with him playing.
  • movielover
    So what was a possible answer against Bloomsburg? Go to a nickle package, or blitz the QB?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Or have the offense hold onto the ball for more than four downs at a time.
  • DrMike
    In the honorable mention division, 2006 #5 NDSU comes to Toomey vs 4-5 Ags. Jin Grant is on fire, we’re up 24-0 at Half. They come out and start rolling, score 3 TDS to get to 24-21. They march late in the fourth and throw TD pass in last minute and we lose 28-21. We beat USD the following game to close Toomey but this would have been a classic Toomey win
  • Riveraggie
    1973 last second loss to Boise State at Toomey field 32-31. Thanksgiving weekend. We had thought team might make playoffs but found out we were out and Boise was in so this was last game. Got out to a big lead but couldn’t get a pass rush against their much larger offensive line. boise went on in the D2 playoffs beat South Dakota, lost to Louisiana Tech. Jim Speck, true freshman from Davis High threw for 419 yards for Aggies.
  • MTBAggie
    @CK2, I remember that Bloomsburg game. That second half was really rough to watch. A group of us went to the Paragon afterward, and some older Bloomsburg fans came in bragging and badmouthing the Davis players. That didn't go over too well with the recent alumni/former players in my group.
  • CK2
    You saying the "paragon" on here and only about half the board will have a clue what you are talking about..... everyone post 2002 ish will know it as Froggy's. hahaha.
  • AggieFinn

I guess that's another UC Davis playoff history moment where the defense broke down when it mattered most... too soon?
  • MTBAggie
    @CK2, it all worked out. Cold Shot eased the tension with a great version of Free Bird.
  • AggieFinn
    Been a hell of a season, good news now is extra study time for finals!...although, I know the guys would rather be taking on Maine at the Big A.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!