• fugawe09
    Maybe this has already been mentioned somewhere, but came across some information on Design & Construction Mgmt page that the new beach volleyball facility is in design to be placed on a portion of Howard Field. Not clear what amenities the facility will have but looks like the intent is four courts. My hypothesis is they are trying to take advantage of the existing terrace berm on the side of the parking garage for spectators (modeled off Stanford facility perhaps?) No mention of any support buildings, so it would seem they would be using Hickey locker rooms. Not sure if it will be its own fenced compound or attached to the Toomey Field perimeter.
    beachvolley.png
  • Russ Bowlus
    There's fencing and orange cones up already--happened to see it as I drove past over the weekend. Looked like they were using the full width of the parking garage, though. Plans may have changed when the football team got the new facility over next to the stadium?
  • 69aggie
    I love this project. I know that Toomey’s stands have been removed. But I also know that the longest home run ever hit in Aggie history or in the FWC was hit over this field by Sam Viney in 1971 and I don’t think it has been recorded on the ground there. I was there, it was a ball hit so hard it went for at least 500 ft from a point that is now the parking structure’s northeast corner to a point that is now the eastern most end of the Toomey track. Oregon center fielder never even turned around. It was gone. Willy Mac would have loved it! We should enshrine such great events with some permanent marker IMHO.
  • Davisbear
    Looks like they changed the layout of the courts
  • Gunrock47
    Hard to tell how close to the street it is. Looks like they’ll be practicing mud volleyball for the time being :)
  • 72Aggie
    We'll have a campus site. Slack used to play at the Sacramento Softball Complex and now plays at a park in Folsom. http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/sandvball/facility

"spectators are encouraged to bring their own chairs and blankets"
  • fugawe09
    Laying out four courts in a row along the side of the garage actually works well. Spectators can sit on the berm/terraces without having to look through another game. I feel like this has to be tied to the new football practice field (I'm assuming the team still practiced on Howard?)

I was involved in building a beach volleyball facility last year, and the funny thing is, that crowd kind of prefers the bring your own chair/tent/blanket scenario to stadium seating. On the Twitter posting, I'm surprised the university doesn't require at least class 2 safety vests for the equipment operator. My legal wouldn't have let me publish a photo like that!

With Howard Field becoming less than a fullsize field at this point, I hope it doesn't lead to the balance getting paved over.
  • 72Aggie
    Beach volleyball schedule has been posted, but there is not an accompanying news release. https://ucdavisaggies.com/schedule.aspx?path=wbvball

Earlier article says first matches at the new on-campus facility will be Picnic Day weekend. Several matches with our neighbors to the east. Open with an apparent DH (double-hitter?) "at" Sac. Also another match later in the season. Looks like we play some "home" matches at the same public park in Folsom which Sac is using for a home court.

I would have thought there were more opponents, but that might be problems scheduling in your inaugaral season with your home site still under construction.

Go Ags!
  • 72Aggie
    (I knew that, I was just being a wise*ss.) In fact the schedule just lists a match at 11:00 and one at 1:00. I threw in the DH.
  • 72Aggie
    I’ll go to my room now and not come out until dinner.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Beach volleyball first practice in the new sand courts:

c6gmccmywz4acwnx.png
  • fugawe09
    I guess they don’t practice in swimsuits...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Haha...give it couple of months....
  • zythe
    I’m glad that the eye vision of our board members is working fine and dandy...
  • 69aggie
    Berkeley is also building a new beach volley ball facility. Might be a slightly larger project due to it being built on the Clark Kerr campus which is not close to other athletic facilities and much closer to Berkeley’s residential district. And the NIMBY neighbors are not happy. They filed suit this week to block the project for not following the campus LRDP.
  • SochorField
    Ya, where are the bikinis?!
  • SochorField
    Clark Kerr campus is beautiful. I drive by it all the time. Cal should utilize it more.
  • 72Aggie
    According to both websites the beach volleyball games set for tomorrow, March 2nd, will be played at the new facility at Howard Field rather than at the park in Folsom which is Slack's home court.

Of course with the current weather forecast it may not matter where the matches are scheduled if they are likely to be postponed.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Aside from the obvious difference between outdoor beach volleyball and the traditional indoor form, are there different rules? Do the indoor and beach teams share the same scholarship players? Are some players better at beach than indoor?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Different court size (beach is smaller), different game/scoring rules, the balls are actually different (beach is lighter), and some other more esoteric changes.

There's a good list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_volleyball#Differences_with_the_indoor_game
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies swept Sac State today in a DH 4-1 and 3-2 in their first ever Beach Volleyball competition.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2019/3/2/womens-beach-volleyball-beach-volleyball-sweeps-inaugural-matches.aspx
  • 72Aggie
    Just saw that. To borrow a line, I think from Dr. Mike, after the equestrian team started with a victory over Delaware State, "these were the greatest wins in program history, no question!"
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!