• agalum
    Just got a call from athletics. The season ticket renewals will be going out in a few days, but tailgate passes will not be part of the package. Apparently they are not sure where the new tailgate lot will be. I always assumed they would move it to the grassy area just south of the ARC (Huthcinson Field). Where ever they put it, hopefully it will be very visible from a marketing standpoint. We used to tailgate on lot 30 before they designated the current tailgate area. And I wonder where they are going to put the Team Aggie tent next year?
  • DrMike
    i suspect the Team Aggie tent will either stay in the general area (in a portion that effects the practice field minimally) or take over a portion of lot 56. I think they would like to have the tailgate and Team Aggie on Hutchinson Field but there needs to be some wheeling and dealing with ICA to accomplish that.

At Montana, the tailgating was spread along roads that ran near the stadium and on various grass areas nearby. They could use Hutchinson field and Hutchinson Road in a similar manner.
  • AggieFinn

With the builds on the north side of the Pavilion over the last 10-15 years, the ICA field space is a little sacred, however, tailgaters would be temporary. Still cars driving on grass will have an effect on the field quality for sports surface for the students.

qinAkk6.jpg
  • movielover
    How many official tailgate spots?
  • DrMike
    I meant LaRue as the street to be used for tailgating; maybe that and that Lot 48 would keep things central. Montana was spread out over a wide area, but they made it work. We can ask next week at the Signing Party but i'm pretty sure the answer will still be 'That's a good question!'. I know they are working on it, and its a priority, but lots of moving parts.
  • 69aggie
    Well the absolute best place for tailgating would be the dairy cattle facility directly across from the stadium. It is the dirty brown space to the east of the stadium in the drone video. Now for me, I don’t mind a drink or two with my bovine friends, though I do prefer horses to drink with as they seem to be more “classy” and better looking. However, I am reminded that horses have not provided any nutritional assets to us humans as do the cows. They also poop a lot and eat a lot. They also make my family buy a lot of stuff for our horsey niece. But, I am reminded that our indeared mascot, Gunrock, is a horse so we must bow to his honor. So no to the dairy facility. Sorry my dear cows.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Radical idea - block off La Rue, reduce it to one lane (the number 2 lane) in the northbound direction for access to diagonal tailgating stalls (in the number 1 lane), and set up food trucks and vendors, etc in the southbound direction. Tailgaters would just need to walk across the curb and sidewalk to toss around a football on the IM fields.

Just spitballing.
  • DrMike
    They have blocked off larue for brewfest and for some food trucks. I expect they will use that as much as possible
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Need to start working with Police and Fire to get everyone on the same page if that is the plan.
  • SochorField
    I like Finn's "unbuilt area."
  • agalum
    And as you look at Finn’s map, it’s easy to see why they do not have a solution yet, or at least are not making it public. I still think Hutchinson field is the best candidate. The area west of the stadium looks like a smaller footprint to me. If our program is going to expand, we need to be in a position to expand the pre game experience as well. I am slightly worried that we could end up somewhere away from the stadium and be bussed in for the game.
  • AggieFinn
    Going deeper, there is actually an unbuilt area SE of Lot 56A, where the hammer and discus throwers practice away from Toomey. This is a prime spot to park some vehicles, though access may need to be enhanced.

l8P36bK.jpg
  • AggieFinn
    Well, by now the notice about the new tailgating arrangements should be out to everybody.

Alum and I are set on center stage on La Rue, hope y'all get a good spot. See you out there.
  • AggieHex08
    For those of us that don't have passes, what did they arrange?
  • AggieFinn
    I don't have any paperwork showing the actual plan, but it looks like they're shutting down the shoulder and lane 2 on La Rue headed South (East side of the stadium) and letting people park directly on the closed off street. That was the section Alum and I got into. Now I know the south parking lot is of course going to be open still, and the Rec Pool Lot...but what I described is the "new" area.
  • agalum

And what's cool about this is each tailgate spot is 30' long and additionally you get the real estate next to your spot on the stadium side. Finn and I have the premier location with lawn and shade trees included in our spot. But wait, there's more. Each tailgate spot will include (drum roll please) a first of its kind UC Davis Aggie shade structure!! Since Finn and I are sharing the same spot, we will be arm wrestling to see who keeps the shade structure. Finn, you better start lifting iron!
  • AggieFinn

That would imply I stopped lifting at some point!
  • DrMike
    I’m assuming the Team Aggie tent is moving over to Lot 56. It won’t be consolidated as before, but it will work
  • agalum
    I’m assuming the Team Aggie tent is moving over to Lot 56. It won’t be consolidated as before, but it will work

That’s what I was told, lot 56. Seems like parking is going to be tighter.
  • AggieFinn

Tighter and more exclusive...so Davis.
  • 69aggie
    We may be a bit behind the times. SEC just approved the general sale of alcohol at all league events. TAM to sell alcohol to the general public next football season; I guess just like going to a 49er game. League says this will be a benefit and will prevent “binge drinking” before games. OK, I guess so. . . . Only in Texas?
  • DrMike
    Here’s the link to the announcement. Pretty much as expected, except location of hospitality. I thought it would be at far end of lot 56. Should work out

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2019/6/20/general-2019-football-season-features-expanded-tailgating-options.aspx
  • agalum

I think athletics did a good job utilizing the available footprint. I hope they have a plan for a gathering place for the students, which i did not see addressed in the press release.
  • DrMike
    It would be nice to have a food/beer truck area with music; maybe that will be part of the corridor. Lot 53 could be a good tailgate area; nice and shady over there and short walk to the stadium
  • DrMike
    i wonder where they will locate Brewfest, since that's been over at LaRue the past couple of years. one of the first years, it was located in the back of lot 56 in the eastern edge of the lot. i'm not sure there will be available space there this year, unless they held back some of the parking spaces for this purpose.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!