• BlueGoldAg
    Big West Women's Basketball Tournament Presented by MemorialCare Bracket

The bracket for the 2018 Big West Women's Basketball Tournament presented by MemorialCare is set and the action will begin Tuesday at Titan Gym on the campus of Cal State Fullerton.

The first round slate on Tuesday starts at 6pm with a matchup between #8 Hawai'i and #5 CSUN. That will be followed at 8:30 pm by defending Tournament champion #7 Long Beach State against #6 UC Riverside.

The two winners will advance to the quarterfinals to face off against #3 UC Irvine and #4 UC Santa Barbara. The lowest remaining seed will take on the Anteaters at 6:00 pm, while the highest remaining seed will square off against the Gauchos at 8:30 pm.

After a day off, the quarterfinal winners will join #1 UC Davis and #2 Cal Poly at Honda Center for the semifinal round. The regular season champion Aggies will take on the lowest remaining seed at 12:00 pm, while the Mustangs await the highest remaining seed at 2:30 pm.

All games through the semifinal round will be shown live on ESPN3.

Championship Saturday will see the semifinal winners clash at 4:00 pm on FOX #PrimeTicket for the Tournament crown and the league's automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Jen Gross is the Women's Big West Coach of the Year.

Frist team All Big West: Morgan Bertsch

Second team All Big West: Pele Gianotti and Rachel Nagel

Honorable Mention: Dani Nafekh

All Freshman Team: Cierra Hall

From the Big West website:

Gross led UC Davis to back-to-back Big West titles, the first time since 2007-09 that a program has won consecutive outright Big West titles. The Aggies equaled their program record for conference wins (14) and are one win shy of tying the school record for victories (25) set last season. The team has also won its last 14 home games against Big West foes and this season became the quickest to 20 wins in program Division I history. Under Gross, UCD has now posted back-to-back 20 win seasons for the second time in program DI history and the first since the 2009-11. The squad has also clinched its second straight postseason appearance, earning at least a bid to the WNIT. Gross is now the first coach to win back-to-back Coach of the Year awards since UC Santa Barbara legend Mark French accomplished the feat in 1999-01.

http://www.bigwest.org//assets/sports/wbball/18WBBAllConf.pdf
  • BlueGoldAg
    The women play UC Riverside today at 12 noon. Live TV coverage on ESPN3.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Riverside leads the Ags 16-13 after the 1st quarter.
  • Zander
    Down 3 at the quarter. Curry for UCR is a fantastic player
  • Zander
    Aggies down 17-23 at the half.

Defense is there now but shots aren't going down. Press seems to be working, hopefully UCR is tired after their earlier games
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags scored 4 points in the 2nd quarter. The Ags were asleep at the wheel until they turned up the defense with the press. The offense is totally out of sync though. The Ags need to regroup and play like they are capable.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags trail 33-30 after 3 quarters.
  • DrMike
    Getting close to the end? Update?
  • SoCalAggie
    45 45 with 44 seconds left. I haven’t watched a ton of women’s games this year but this is sloppy! Unforced turnovers all of the place
  • DrMike
    Who is winning?
  • SoCalAggie
    Riverside shooting 2 free throws with 21 seconds
  • SoCalAggie
    46 riv 45 davis. Davis with the ball

20 seconds left
  • SoCalAggie
    Bertch with the layup

47 Davis 46 riv with 15 seconds

Riverside has the ball with the potential last possession.
  • SoCalAggie
    Davis with the block!!!

Free throws coming to davis.

Misses 1 FT
    Makes the second

2 point Davis lead

Riv with the ball - 10.8 remaining
  • SoCalAggie
    Btw this game is on ESPN 3
  • SoCalAggie
    Davis with the steal!!!!!!
  • DrMike
    Thanks for the updates. I had some problem getting ESPN3. Need to figure it before tonight
  • SoCalAggie
    Misses 1st FT
    Makes 2nd

Davis with 3 point lead.

Riverside took it for a layup with 3 seconds instead of taking the 3.

Layup goes but after the buzzer

Davis wins

49-46
  • eastbayaggie
    So many close college basketball games lately. I'm not sure I can take this much stress every season.
  • SoCalAggie
    Sorry for any typos - tough to type quickly on my iPhone!
  • movielover
    A layup when down by 3?
  • BlueGoldAg
    This was literally the epitome of survive to play again. The Ags won this game with defense because the offense was totally out of sync the whole game. The number of unforced TO's was hard to watch. I hope we got that out of our system because we'll need to play much, much better to win another game.

Ugly game but a gritty win.
  • SoCalAggie
    Yea. Not sure why she didn’t pull up.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yep, wasn't a smart choice.
  • SoCalAggie
    Ugly is an understatement... lol

Hopefully they play better tomorrow!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Trying to draw a foul is the only thing I can think of?

At any rate, yeah--mystifying how this team starts SO COLD game after game. It's gotta drive the coaches crazy.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Well that was tough to watch. Don’t understand why ucr didn’t foul earlier on out last possession and why a layup down by 3. But we’ll take it. Hopefully that does away with any tightness we may have felt. Good Aggie support, except for one idiot who should have his Aggie sweatshirt taken away.

Go Ags!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!