• 72Aggie
    Off to a good start today as women's soccer defeated Slack, 2-0, in a game at Sacramento.

Running Causeway Cup score is UCD 5, CSUS 0.

Next up is volleyball on September 4 when Davis again heads east to play at Sac. In fact other than football and one men's soccer game, all games this fall will be at Sac. Even the NCAA West regional, which determines the cross country points, will be in Sac this year, or so says the posted schedule.

Wonder if we will meet in beach volleyball or women's golf come spring.
  • 72Aggie
    Great win in volleyball as Ags defeat the Hornets, 3-1 (25-23, 25-23, 13-25, 25-14).

Running score is now UCD 10, CSUS 0.

Next event by my unofficial tally is the first of two men's soccer matches on September 29 at Davis.

Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Beating suc in volleyball is always a big win. Seems like our v-ball program is moving up.

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I've watched a few sets of their games that have been live streamed and they are pretty darn good. They have a good blend of experienced and young players and they have tremendous height including with 10 players who are 6 feet and over: 2 at 6-0, 2 at 6-1, 2 at 6-2, 6-3, 2 at 6-4 and, the tallest player ever for the Ags, a 6-6 freshman.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    The addition of beach volleyball will help the overall program as some recruits are looking to play both sports and will only consider a school that offers both. BW is always a tough conference with Hawaii usually in the top 20 and CP now becoming a force. Feels like the Aggies are close to being a contender.
  • PortlandAggie
    Interesting side note to the Causeway Cup scoring system, when Sacramento State's volleyball team dominated UC Davis, the points were worth as much as football, 10 points. Now that we are on par or even better than Sacramento State, the match is now worth 5 points. Hmmmm ...
  • 72Aggie
    Everything is 5 points now....

UCD website now has a 2018-19 Causeway Cup page. As of last night Slack did not. The UCD site says there are 85 possible points this year. Last year there was no women's golf and softball was cancelled due to weather. The site shows four events yet to be scheduled; softball, men's track & field, women's track & field and men's tennis, however the Slack men's tennis page shows a match in Davis on January 19, 2019. No indication as to whether or not beach volleyball will be included.
  • 72Aggie
    Ags defeated Slack 2-1 in OT in mens' soccer. Running score is now UCD 12.5, Slack 0.

Next up is the men's soccer rematch on October 27 at Slack.
  • 72Aggie
    ...Aggie men sweep Slack State in soccer this year with a 1-0 victory today at Slack. Running score is now UCD 15, Slack 0.

Next event is men's and women's cross country at the NCAA West Regionals to be held November 9th in Sacramento.
  • 72Aggie
    Ooops, wrong thread.
  • 72Aggie
    Late update: Causeway cross country points were decided at the NCAA West Regionals in Sacramento on Nov. 9th. Aggie women finished 19th and Sac State women finished right behind them at 20th, with the 5 Causeway points going to UCD. Sac State's men finished 25th, however the UCD men did not field the required five runners so they earned no points as a team, resulting in Sac's first Causeway points this year. At that point the running score was UCD 20, CSUS 5.

WIth today's football victory the current Causeway Cup score is UCD 25, CSUS 5. With 85 available points it will take 43 to win the Cup.

Next event is men's basketball on Nov. 20th, this coming Tuesday, at the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento. Women's basketball follows on Dec. 7th at Sac, to complete the 2018 matches.

Go Ags!!
  • 72Aggie
    After the mens' basketball result the running Causeway score is UCD 25, CSUS 10.
  • 72Aggie
    ...and after the women’s basketball result the running score is UCD 30, CSUS 10. Next event is men’s tennis at Davis on January 19th. Still no word on whether beach volleyball will be part of this season’s Cup. Pending that there are still 45 points to be won, so 15 will wrap it up for UCD.
  • 72Aggie
    Ags defeated Sac in men's tennis today, 6-1. Running Causeway Cup score is now UCD 35, Sac 10.

Beach volleyball schedules are now up, but I have no idea if they will be included in Causeway Cup this year. Ags and Hornets are scheduled to play 3 or 4 times. Three times at Sac, (???) and apparently once at a tournament in So. Cal. Without beach volleyball there are 85 points at stake this year so another 10 will keep the cup, (is there a physical trophy??) where it is happiest.

Next scheduled event is gymnastics at Davis next Sunday, the 27th.
  • 72Aggie
    Ags came in 1st, (Alaska Anchorage 2nd), and Slack 3rd in a three team gymnastic meet. Davis takes 2.5 Causeway Cup points to bring the score to UCD 37.5, CSUS 10. Next cup events are a month away on February 26th when Sac travels to Davis for baseball while the Ags head east to play softball.
  • 72Aggie
    Looking at the forecast for today and tomorrow, I suspect the baseball and softball games against Slack will be postponed....and good luck rescheduling such things.
  • 72Aggie
    Softball has been rescheduled to April 30th due to rain. Baseball has been pushed back one day to Wednesday the 27th, also due to rain. I guess the baseball teams are more optimistic about the weather.

In other Causeway Cup news, beach volleyball has been added. There are three matches scheduled this year, all at the park in Folsom which serves as Slack's home sand court; two on March 2nd and one on April 5th. Our new courts will not be used in competition until late April. This year each beach volleyball match will count 1.67 pts. Next season will go to a home and away with each match counting for 2.5 points. Guess that means that there are 90.01 points at stake this year. Ags have 37.5 points thus far and will need 7.51 to clinch. Next scheduled event is gymnastics at Sacramento this Friday evening for a triangular meet with Slack and Cal.
  • 72Aggie
    UCD gymnastics 195.450 - Slack 192.625 tonight giving the Ags another Causeway victory. Running score is now UCD 40, Slack 10. This was a triangular meet and Cal was the over all winner. Next schedule are two beach volleyball matches tomorrow, followed by softball at Davis and baseball at Sac 10 days later.

Go Ags.
  • 72Aggie
    WIth today's sweep of the beach volleyball games, Ags pick up 3.34 points to take a 43.4-10 lead in the running Causeway Cup score. A victory in any sport assures the Ags will win yet another Cup. And it's barely March. Life is good.
  • eastbayaggie
    I'm curious on the rounding error for the beach volleyball games. If UCD sweeps all three games, are we rewarded 5.01 points total?

It would be awesome if we beat Sac by 0.01 at the end of the year.
  • 72Aggie
    I am also curious, but the UCD athletic site, adding two victories at 1.67 points each to a previous score of 40 points, has the cumulative score as 43.33 points for UCD. 1.67+1.67= 3.33. Must be new math.

"50 years (and a little...) since I graduated from high school and I have yet to use the quadratic formula in my life."

So to revise my earlier comment....a victory in beach volley ball will assure a tie...a victory in any other sport assures a win.
  • 72Aggie
    Which isn’t to say that it wouldn’t be awesome to run the table and beat them by 70.01.
  • 72Aggie
    Based on the UCD Causeway Cup site, women's golf added an event last week. Sac came in first and UCD fourth at the Gunrock Invitational to move the current score to UCD 43.33, CSUS 12.5.

Also, the website is listing 5 points for the UCD at CSUS baseball game on March 12th, suggesting that the earlier rain-out game has gone from "postponed" to "cancelled."
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies clinched the Causeway Cup today when the Aggies beat Sac State 4-0 in softball behind a perfect game pitched by sophomore Brooke Yanez. It was the first perfect game in nearly 25 years for the Aggies.
  • 72Aggie
    More new math. Yesterdary the UCD Causeway website showed UCD with 43.33 points. Add 2.5 for the softball win and this morning the score is 45.84. We need to win the third and final beach volleyball match with its 1.33 points to resolve my inner obsessive-compulsive disorder...I hope.

And the site is inconsistent on whether the postponed baseball game from the last week of February will be made up. As of this morning it is showing 2.5 pts for yesterday's game with a game to be made up. Yesterday morning it was showing 5 pts for yesterday's game.

"Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."
  • DrMike
    story on the website said the baseball game was the first of a home-and-home series with Sac.
  • 72Aggie
    I pulled the entry below from the baseball thread. Goags20172 noted the confusion. I imagine both teams are running around trying to find games and blanks in their schedules to make up for missed games in a rainy winter.

As I recall, last year's softball game was never made up after a weather "postponement."

"Goags20172
    That was the impression I got as well. When Sac State added a Sunday game against Marge Simpson College the press release said it was to replace the rained out game against UCD. Then they cancelled that game due to rain that never happened. UCD may not make up the Santa Clara game either. They made it difficult to do sp by adding extra games against UOP and USF."
  • 72Aggie
    (...though I am not sure we ought to be wondering about a second game after the results of the first one...)
  • 72Aggie
    Aggie women defeated Sac, 5-2, in tennis today at Sac. That's nice because since UCD clinched this year's Cup three weeks ago the Hornets have won in baseball and in women's golf. Current score is 50.83 - 17.5. Next up is beach volleyball at Sac's "home" court in Folsom this coming Friday, the 5th. It would be nice to win that and clear up some of this annoying decimal point mess. Over the weekend Davis defeated Sac in beach volleyball in a non-Causeway event at the Big West Challenge in San Luis Obispo.
  • Zander
    Didn't realize Sac also had a beach volleyball team. Great to have the rivalry (and presumably, dominance) extend to more sports!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!