• zythe

Berkeley, Stanford...stop stealing our money!!!!
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Darn Robber Barons....
  • DrMike
    I can honestly say that among players of my era, we despise Poly, much more than Sac. Back than Sac was bad and we were in the midst of something like 20 straight wins. Poly was our rival and it was heated. 1980 we were marching with O’Brien for a game winning score when he got sacked from the blind side and fumbled. Almost identical situation in a tied game vs Santa Clara; they kicked last second FG for win. Those two got west coast playoff bid and met in Semis; poly won it all.

For years (still) poly teams that lost to Davis didn’t get their team photo on the wall of locker room. Ellerson likened the rivalry to Army-Navy when he got the job there.

It’s a really good state school but it’s not a UC. Look at the rankings of public universities.
  • zythe
    It’s a really good state school but it’s not a UC. Look at the rankings of public universities.

I didn't want to say it...thanks!
  • NCagalum
    I do remember Ramses Braden. He was on the team that almost beat (and should of except for something like 3 missed extra points) Wisconsin. I remember listening to that game. I also drew your analogy.
  • NCagalum
    Well at least the banana slugs of UC Santa Cruz ;-). They used to have a pass/no pass grading system and was the joke of the UC System. I have some colleagues at Poly in irrigation. So irrigation, extension, manure all good.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I agree that Poly students compare more with UC Davis than those of Sac State. Poly is the best CSU and in some programs like engineering or architecture, top notch. In agriculture, I think we may have the edge, but they can manage well too. Rankings take research too heavily because if you're an undergrad, you may be forgotten.

I'd take Poly over 2-3 UCs, but depending on which ones and which majors.
  • zythe
    Poly is probably better than Merced, Riverside, and Santa Cruz.

A lot has to do with the focus of the school though. The three UCs I just listed focus on very different things.

I believe Merced is like the UC liberal arts school, Santa Cruz is top ranked in Astronomy, and Riverside...should be part of the CSU system.
  • 69aggie
    Movie, the “67, 68” comment does not resonant too much for me. That’s young for me and I’m still kicking at 70+. I always felt that Ellerson was very charismatic for CP folks at least. He sure knew how to lay the wood to the Ags. As for billionaires, we have many too. Harris Ranch, Chevron, Bechtel, CEOs and many in Silicon Valley. But we also have Kimberly Guilfoyle, Don Jr’s GF, and we all know how rich he is :“HUGE” rich. I personally am not happy about Kimberly’s choice of suitors but thats just me. And, as for funding the new sports complex, I just don’t think that Don Jr. Is our go to guy. But I wish Kimberly the best of luck in her romantic endeavors which so far have been well. . . Wasteful of her talents as we Irish like to say (but, she is half Irish which does tend to put her in my good graces).
  • SochorField
    Honestly can't wait to beat the hell outta Cal Poly
  • movielover
    No offense meant, 69 ... I know George Allen was a force late in life, so was Mr. Stagg at COP/UOP.
  • CA Forever
    The Massey match up simulator currently is giving the Aggies a 72% chance of winning. I would say that is about right. Davis is the better team this season, but Poly has home field advantage and the emotion of a rivalry game. Davis beat Poly when they shouldn't have in the Gould era, it can definitely reverse now.
  • DrMike
    Their losses are to North Dakota State, Weber, EWU (bad) and Montana. Wins over Brown (bad team) and Sac (surprisingly bad). Hard to get a great read on them. If they turn it over, they have trouble. If they don’t, they rack up yards. Got to stop the big chunk plays
  • CA Forever
    Their loss to Weber was pretty close, but Weber's defense is what keeps them in games. Statistically, outside of 1 RB, Weber's offense is pretty anemic.
  • agalum
    but Weber's defense is what keeps them in games
    They might have the best D in the league. It would have been fun to see how we matched up with them this season. Maybe the playoffs:)!
  • SochorField
    Whenever I hear Ramses Barden I think of Nacho Libre.7ldhexwhi9uhmu5b.jpg
  • Polydad
    I'm looking forward to a very good game this Saturday. I think the key for Cal Poly is to not fall way behind early like they did last year. Overcoming big deficits is not a good triple option strategy,. CP does rely heavily on the fullback dive, but the past couple of weeks De La Salle alum Drew Hernandez has been lighting it up as the pitch guy. Our young defense will be tested severely by Maier and Doss. Davis is a really good football team, but this is a rivalry and you know the best team doesn't always win a rivalry game. I would wish you luck, but you know I'd be lying. :wink: How's this, good luck the following week against Montana?
  • SochorField
    Stack the box. Make 'em throw on 3rd down. Our secondary is vastly improved.
  • SochorField
    but this is a rivalry and you know the best team doesn't always win a rivalry game.Polydad

That's for damn sure. We have beaten both Poly and Sac when we had NO business doing so. Hawkins will have these guys ready to keep the 'Shoe in Davis.
  • agalum
    Back in the day Polys triple option was scary. But as Sochor field said, this is a vastly improved defense. While I recognize anything can happen in a rivalry game, I don’t see this Aggie team falling to poly.
  • Idaho Aggie
    I remember that Santa Clara game; that was my freshman year and I was crushed. I'm sure I was at the CP game too but apparently I have excluded it from my memory and a good thing too, apparenlty. That was in the good old days when I could buy a pass for something like $5 that let me into all the games.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The following game simulator base on lots of current stats predicts:

UC Davis 47 Cal Poly 30

http://www.compughterratings.com/CFB/simulations
  • BlueGoldAg
    The following site ranks FCS teams on the basis many current stats and has us ranked #3 in the FCS. Click on any team and it will open a page with lots of interesting stats:

UCD stats page: http://www.compughterratings.com/CFB/teams/UC-Davis

All FCS teams: http://www.compughterratings.com/FCS/rankings
  • Polydad
    One thing to consider is the teams Cal Poly has lost to are quality opponents, similar to UCD losses.
  • AggieFinn
    My dad graduated with a couple of big guns from Silicon Valley - one retired director of engineering at Sun Microsystems, and the other was a high up for National Semiconductor...retired in the 80's, both of them. There are huge checks to be had out there, just gotta pick up the phone.
  • Polydad
    True student athletes on both sidelines this week, for sure.....
  • Polydad

Good point regarding big plays Dr Mike. Word on the street is that opposing coaches are trying to limit Cal Poly's big plays, figuring at 3 or 4 yards a carry the Mustangs will make enough mistakes to beat themselves.
  • AggieFinn
    Option, Option, Optioin - assignments and toughness, and a knack to sniff out the attempts to push the rock down the field.

Aggies have to grind on defense this week, get themselves ready for the non-stop pounding that will be coming at them.
  • zythe
    qkgoolru33lhbi6x.png

Looks like we had a Cal Poly student in disguise this past game checking out our game plan.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We know that the Aggie offense can light up the scoreboard. The big question in my mind, however, is whether or not the Aggie defense can prevent Poly from chewing up the clock on the ground and controlling the tempo of the game? We looked pretty porous against the run in the Idaho State game.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!