• AggieFinn
    That school across the Causeway is coming to Davis next week. Nothing to lose, and they won a shootout against us last year despite a furious comeback attempt by Davis.

After yesterday's pulverizing, and playoff position on the horizon, there couldn't be any more motivation to stomp the Hornet's guts out.
  • zythe
    We need to take them to the woodshed...
  • DrMike
    My weather app shows a good air quality index of 30 in Davis, unhealthy 160 in Sac. Is that right? Also show a sunny 69 for next Saturday. Curious what the status of Thomson is.
  • agalum

For what ever reason, air quality in the Davis/Woodland area is often better then Sac. Maybe the delta breeze?
  • DrMike
    Maybe all that hot air coming from the capital creates its own ecosystem
  • BlueGoldAg
    I live in the Land Park area of Sac and the air quality has been horrible. As bad as when Mt St Helens erupted but without all the ash falling from the sky.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Winds are from the north today, so it's not the Delta breeze. Just a quirk of Davis being slightly far enough west to be out of the main smoke plume at the moment. It's still really nasty in Davis, even with that.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Hypothetically if the fires were still raging, would they actually cancel a causeway classic? Particularly one that matters for the playoffs?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes they would cancel the game if the air quality was very unhealthy for the players and the fans alike. It would create a mess but they would not put anyone's health at risk no matter how important the game was.
  • movielover
    Play it elsewhere. St Marys, Berkeley, UOP ... err, scratch that last one.
  • DrMike
    Right now the index is 80 which is ‘moderate’. Sac yesterday (and today) has been around 180 which is unhealthy. Moving it would be a real challenge both logically and practically
    -> both Berkeley and Moraga have unhealthy indices.
  • Russ Bowlus
    A bunch of local athletic events are being cancelled. If smoke is still an issue on Saturday, I don't see the CC being special enough to go on.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The fire is currently only 25% contained.
  • BlueGoldAg
    If the game is cancelled it could have a lot of consequences for the Ags. Not playing means that there's no chance for a loss but I think the Ags need to make a statement in this game to get the selection committees attention. The magnitude of our loss at EWU has raised questions about just where the Ags stand in relation to good playoff caliber teams.I think ultimately a cancelled game will work against us as far as the playoff picture is concerned.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I just walked outside in Sacramento...the air is practically choking!

ougmont6e913tmds.png
  • movielover
    Given the implications, I politely disagree. This is where campus leadership comes in, and lawyers. Dr. Blue should already be looking at contingency plans, options, and obstacles.

Cal is out due to the Big Game. San Jose State plays Reno at 2 PM, and odds are it will be lightly attended.

So SJ State and Reno may be options. Not ideal, but Hawk is always touting we can play anywhere, anytime.

Play at 7 PM following the Spartan game. Let San Jose reap the parking and concession gate.

Time for the athletic leaders to step up. We may have to sign some legal waivers in case someone gets hurt in San Jose, but we just played there 2 months ago. Heck, even Humboldt.
  • 69aggie
    I don’t know if any weather guy has commented on it, but the weird thing I see about this fire is the direction of the wind- from the northeast! Usually the wind is from the straight north or from the prevailing northwestern winds we see in Sonoma and on the coast. So in this case Santa Rosa and SF got. More smoke than Sac. Or Davis. It almost like the Santa Ana winds are coming to the North State. But I know. Not possible that climate change has anything to do with it, just “poor forest management’” as stated by our esteemed leader.
  • agalum
    Having a playing field is one issue, practicing for the game is another factor.
  • Russ Bowlus
    UNR is probably a better alternate location than any place in the Bay Area. Niner game tomorrow might get smoked out.

agalum's point regarding practice is an excellent one.
  • agalum
    I just got home from Spokane. The amount of smoke in the valley, extending to the bay as seen from the air is daunting. I’m a pilot and am accustom to flying around forest fires, its something you need to learn if you want to get from point A to B in California. But this fire is unreal, i have never seen this amount of particulates and poor visibility.
  • movielover

- When you don't thin forests for decades
    - Drive most lumber mills out of business
    - Don't cut fire trails
    - Don't harvest millions of trees killed by beetle infestation
    - Don't clear underbrush with small burns
    - Build thousands of homes in former forest areas
    - Put out small fires that used to thin the forest and smaller trees, keeping the forests healthy (even Native Americans used small fires)

... the forests get out of "equilibrium". A forester in Calaveras County said they had 20x the number of trees of the previous, normal state.

Even Governor Moonbeam has agreed we need to change our management practices.

These "super fires" started before the modern hypothesis of so called Global Warming.
  • movielover
    Hickey Gym walk throughs?

Or we could play a virtual game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    With wind gusts up to 35 mph the fires could get worse tomorrow and spread. I think there is a very real possibility that we won't be playing on Saturday. I can't ever remember air quality this bad and could get worse. California burning....
  • movielover
    I drove through parts of Sonoma County twice a month after our super rainy season 2 years ago, and never saw a single fire trail, thinning project, or controlled burn.
  • DrMike
    We practice early in the morning when the air quality has been decent in Davis. More of a problem for Sac based on the numbers I’ve been seeing
  • 69aggie
    Movie, my brother was a ranger in calaveras big trees state park when they did those very effective controlled forest burns and much of what you stated it worked. I loved it when he came back black head to toe. He was so happy to be doing something that worked. Guess what happened with this USFS land. The U.S. government stopped the program in the early ‘80s due to “high costs”. I won’t say who was in charge in DC at that time, but I think we all know.
  • movielover
    A former forest expert also said many agencies quadrupled the number of attorneys on staff, and reduced the number of knowledgable forest rangers / etc.

He, along with an expert outdoorsman in Montana I know, always remind me certain species of trees only drop their pods after fires!

Lotta time since this supposed occurence in the 80s, brother (no time to confirm right now), Clinton or Obama could have restored the alleged removed funds.

I recall reading years ago Mt. Tam is a tinder box ready to go, some say Tahoe, too. Those vacationers don't want their pretty view messed up by logging or fire breaks, do they? But we could use the lumber, jobs, and ecosystem in balance. Driving to Tahoe last time it looks like a thick wall of mature trees, same for the drive to Santa Cruz.

I guess our CA government officials were spending all their time fixing roads, bridges, and dams. s/
  • Riveraggie
    Our big fire last year in Santa Rosa had N Easterly winds. Minutes before the Camp fire started I was waiting for the bus in Santa Rosa and thought this is fire wind.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!