• eastbayaggie
    I use this site to monitor California's real time air quality. I saw Davis went from "unhealthy for sensitive groups" to "unhealthy" this morning.

https://aqicn.org/map/california/#@g/37.7194/-121.6516/8z
  • Idaho Aggie
    Movielover, as a former wildland firefighter I can't agree that more logging would make the difference. That said, there's plenty of disagreement among firefighters on that issue. Here's an article I read this morning by an expert on the subject: https://slate.com/technology/2018/11/california-woolsey-camp-fire-trump-forest-management.html
  • BlueGoldAg
    That's a very informative article. Thanks for posting it.
  • OldAggie
    Sadly, I've witnessed this exact situation first hand during the Angora Fire. Growing up in South Lake I recall seeing piles of debris for winter burns all over Angora's fire lookout (its been a turnaround for my bike rides and trail runs for 35 years). Then it stopped. Angora burst into flames, and now I'm seeing the piles again. Fire's are required for a health forest, and we stop them before they get to do their job. We are now in tinder box all over this state. My CalFire buddies have been talking about this for years...sadly their worst case is happening. Building in heavily forested areas is downright dangerous today.
  • agalum
    Does anyone know if the team practiced today?

For some reason, the air quality maps show Vacaville having cleaner air. What about having the game at Vacaville High or maybe a JC if our air quality is bad?
  • AggieFinn
    Well, big help is on the way.

Link
  • movielover
    Great! But why don't we own one of these, ready to go, in California?
  • Riveraggie
    Because we need the money for the Governor’s pension
  • AggieFinn

I have to imagine these planes are rare...and expensive.
  • Riveraggie

California has almost 10 times the GDP of Colorado
    I now see it’s a private company
  • movielover
    I wonder what the emergency rental fee is per day?

Imagine the good it could have done starting Day 2 or 3 of the fire.
  • Idaho Aggie
    They are usually contract aircraft. Here's a good source of information on fire aviation: https://fireaviation.com/

Aircraft will cool things off but without firefighters on the ground they won't stop the fire. I doubt they would have made any difference when that fire was racing at Paradise.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Particularly since they need visibility.
  • CK2
    A couple game related notes:

-UCD opens up -24 Point fav over Sac St
    Other BIG SKY games of note w playoff implications:
    -Weber -6 vs Idaho
    -Montana -7 vs MSU
    -EWU -20.5 @ PSU

That’s a fair line on UCD. A couple things to consider:
    -We don’t know Sac st QB STATUS (prob out but see below)
    -Rivalry game, throw everything out the window
    - Sac St off a bye (with game cancelled they didn’t play, should be healthier. BUT not a normal bye as they didn’t spend week prepping for UCD as they expected to play NAU)
    -Off the big loss, do the Ags come out a little flat? (May take them a quarter or two to get going - see it all the time after a team takes a big loss in an important game esp when playing a team considered inferior)

I can’t find a lick of info on Thomson and whether he’ll be back this week. I tweeted a beat writer for their student newspaper and he had no clue either. Guessing since he’s been out all year not likely to play this week but we don’t know if he was going to play last week given the cancelation. Finding injury info is not easy.
  • Riveraggie
    This is really the biggest game of the year, in terms of what’s at stake. Doesn’t feel like it though.
  • eastbayaggie
    It's really interesting how often the real time air quality has changed at Davis. It's currently the second worst in California at 229 or "very unhealthy." Sacramento is the third worst at 226. I'm quite sure it will change significantly within two hours. Chico is the worst at 331 or "hazardous."

I'm quite sure the game will be cancelled at the current level.
  • eastbayaggie
    Apparently the 49ers are playing when the air quality is below 200. According to one site:

"At 10 a.m. the Air Quality Index for Santa Clara was at 164 — well below the maximum limit of 200 set by the league."

Perhaps if the Causeway game is below 200, then we should be fine?
  • BlueGoldAg

The air quality current in Sacramento is the worst I've ever seen. It was 227 at 7 pm. 151-200 is considered unhealthy. 201-300 is considered very unhealthy.

dk9ogwxythitv7if.png
  • eastbayaggie
    I decided to look at the worst air quality in the world.

The top four I can find are:

Elazig, Turkey: 895
    Turpan, China: 714
    A water treatment plant at Delhi, India: 685
    Schivenoglia, Italy: 622

I guess it can be significantly worse. :/
  • DrMike
    I believe NCAA rules recommend cancellation at levels over 200

http://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-institute/air-quality
  • movielover
    Rain expected in about 10 days ... is there precedent to play at an away neutral site like, say, San Diego or Reno?
  • DrMike
    Be interesting to see what happens with the (other) Big Game
  • eastbayaggie
    There's interesting detailed air quality data for Davis over here:

http://aqicn.org/city/california/yolo/davis-ucd-campus/#s:308

Apparently the range for the past 48 hours is anywhere from 25 to 236. As of this typing, it's at 200.
    If I'm reading this correctly, then the forecast is that it will get progressively worse up to Thursday. It doesn't seem to predict more than 2.5 days ahead.
  • agalum

Do they factor in fire containment in that equation? My guess is their algorithm is based on a constant input of contamination.
  • eastbayaggie

I'm quite sure they don't factor fire containment in the equation just as much as I'm quite sure Sagarin and Massey don't factor key injuries in their equation.

Edit: The forecast is way off for today anyway since it forecasted air quality of 6 to 21.
  • DavisAggie
    Maybe a neutral site, but not more than 50 miles away, which doesn't do anything for the air quality. They're not playing this game in an empty stadium
  • movielover
    Interesting article, but vague and light on facts. Between 1930 and the mid 1980s, the biggest fire in Yellowstone was 18,000 acres. This author helped write a fire plan for Yellowstone in the mid 1980s, and in 1988 the massive Yellowstone fire burned for months, burning between 800,000 and 1.2 Million acres.

Years ago I read that the size of our fires had grown dramatically, and "Super Fires" burned so hot, they killed nutrients in the soil as well as all seeds and pods.

The author also doesn't comment on forest equilibrium, the elimination of most lumber mills in California,
  • Idaho Aggie
    'super fires,' if such things exist, don't burn equally hot everywhere. Sure, there are areas that burn very hot, but it's often a patchwork. Your argument about fire sizes between 1930 and the 80s misses one of the effects of vigorous suppression. Putting out all fires as soon as wecould allowed the massive buildup of fuels. That has plenty to do with the fires we face today, though there are other factors. As for Pyne not talking about the elimination of California lumber mills, that's not a fire ecology issue, it's an economic issue.

You know what really puts out big fires? Winter. The 1988 Yellowstone fires didn't burn for months because of Pyne's fire plans. They burned forever because conditions were ripe for that.
  • CA Forever
    Well this thread got strangely political... anyway, regardless of where we play we're gonna smack J Street Tech around. Finish the season strong, rock the playoffs. Let's go Aggies!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!