• SochorField
    I said it once this season: we can improve at QB. I'm not sure is Maier is 100% He also might be trying to do too much at the line of scrimmage. Putting too much on himself to "figure it out" before the snap, and not just trusting guys and flinging it.
  • agalum

Aside from Thomson, they have a really good RB who can break it open. I was at their game against PSU. They looked like a beat team out the gate. But with this rivalry, and if they take a double dose of Geritol, you never know what might happen. As Hawkins keeps saying, any given team in this conference can beat another team.
  • Riveraggie
    Share of league championship at stake. Also will cement our status as the best FCS team in California, not to mention Greater Sacramento. Can’t blow it. That was bitter disappointment last year for the team losing to these guys, I’m sure. This would be many times worse.
  • agalum
    The latest from Dr. Blue. No mention of the smoke, sounds like the plan is to march forward. Go Ags!

We are very excited about the upcoming Causeway Classic rivalry game and look forward to seeing you at Aggie Stadium on Saturday at Noon. Come cheer on the team as they attempt to clinch a share of the Big Sky Conference championship and secure a berth in the FCS Playoffs.

I wanted to write to you today with some important information about tickets for a possible home game on Saturday, November 24 in the FCS Playoffs. This game would, most likely, kick off in the late afternoon.

Selections for the FCS Playoffs will be made on Sunday, November 18 at 9:30am on ESPNU. I invite you to join the team for a selection show viewing party at the ARC Ballroom. Until then, we won’t know for sure if we’ll be selected for the playoffs, whether we’ll host any games, or when games will start. However, in preparation for selections, we wanted to send out information to make sure that you are informed about how the ticketing process will work.

We are bidding to host as many playoff games as possible at Aggie Stadium. Significant weight is given to the financial component of a bid when the NCAA decides who will host games in the opening round. Accordingly, to help increase our chances of playing an opening round game at home on November 24, we’d very much appreciate your support in purchasing tickets for it. Even if you can’t make it to the game on November 24, we’d ask you to consider purchasing tickets and allow us to redistribute them to local youth groups so they can attend the game. Revenue from ticket sales directly helps pay the financial guarantee that host teams owe to the NCAA.

Beginning today, you can place a conditional order for tickets to all FCS Playoff games that could be played at UC Davis. Please place your order by using the attached form or the online form at this link. Season ticket holders will have first rights to purchase tickets for their usual seats, as long as they are purchased by 5pm on Wednesday, November 21. You will not be charged for your conditional order for any game until the NCAA confirms that UC Davis is hosting that game. UC Davis students will be admitted for free.

If you have any questions, please reach out to the ticket office at (530)752-2471 between 10am and 4pm on weekdays, or reply to this email. The ticket office will also be open on Sunday, November 18 from 10am until 4pm, to answer your questions and take orders on the day that playoff selections are made. Complete information about the FCS Playoffs can be found on the FCS Playoffs Central website at this link.

Thanks again for your support of UC Davis Football. We are excited about the possibility of competing in the FCS Playoffs and look forward to hosting games at Aggie Stadium, should the opportunity arise.

Go Ags!

Kevin Blue
    Director of Athletics
  • AggieFinn

Based on that note from Blue, he doesn't even seem to think there's a possibility we land a Seed (1st round bye). Perhaps it's for the best to get ready for the quickest coming possibility, which would be a game 11/24.

Shoot, I might have to stay overnight to come join the guys in the ARC ballroom for the selection show Sunday morning.
  • CK2
    Of course we prob wont know if he's playing until the first snap on Saturday. Unreal finding injury info on anything Sac St related.

I'll be surprised if we dont see a flat start from the Ags on Sat for a few series - mainly last week's results and I imagine this week has been a bit of a different routine (indoor practice) which only helps distract from the focus needed in the film room/on the field. First possession will be one to watch - against a bad team, this offense, at home, should run down the field for 7.

As was already mentioned the Hornets have been AWFUL against the run - have to pound the ball against them but JM should have better success throwing it as well mostly because he should have more time. Sac St offense could be an issue if Thomson can go (i am guessing no). You also have to wonder what sort of state Sac St enter the game? It's been an awful season, well under expectations, losing their QB. Their D has been a sieve.

All this said.....Be ready for anything, its a rivalry.
  • CK2
    Blue just prepping people for the idea that "hey we might have a home game on thanksgiving weekend ( a weekend many people travel) so keep that in the back of your mind b/c they would love a full stadium."

I've seen 7 seed, 8 seed, and no seed from the hero guys. They are all projecting based on if season ended today. I still stand by statement that the Aggies will get seeded. I think Idaho St will beat Weber and that will drop them out and problem solved. Even if they don't, still think the resume is strong enough to warrant a seed.
  • SochorField
    A blowout win would sure help getting a #7 or #8 seed.
    Rock on the gas pedal until the clock runs out. Score 70 - payback for last year!
  • DrMike
    I have two tickets available for Saturday; my seat mate won't be able to make it. Seems to have gotten stuck in Oregon (work) on his way back down from EWU. Send me a message if you are interested. You get to sit next to the infamous Agalum!
  • agalum
    Ha ha, and maybe a free breakfast burrito!
  • eastbayaggie
    This might help increase the chance of the game being played on Saturday! :)

https://www.sfgate.com/california-wildfires/article/uc-davis-rocks-camp-fire-wildfires-facebook-13392272.php

Edit: I think it's working! The air quality index just dropped from 151 to 114! :)
    Edit2: Holy crap! Auburn is at 824 right now! Is this the side effect of the rock throwing?
  • Riveraggie
    Funny how students out of class exercise more than students in class. Who would have thought?
  • AggieFinn
    AQI, 1:41 PT, Wednesday 11.14.18

The AQI in the immediate Bay Area is actually worse than Davis/Vacaville.

HFJbsW3.jpg
  • DrMike
    According to the folks on the Sac boards, Thomson is out and shooting for a medical redshirt (that would allow him to come back for a 6th year). they are down to a true freshman starting. according to their game notes:

'The class could be larger if it were not for the rash of injuries that has inflicted the team this year. Quarterback Kevin Thomson, linebacker Marcus Bruce, offensive lineman Wyatt Ming, kicker Devon Medeiros and defensive end George Obinna are all listed as seniors but will have the option to return next year.'

i don't read that as a positive he won't play (he's played in 6 games so far) and the depth chart shows:

Quarterback
    5 Kevin Thomson (6-2, 205, Sr.) or
    10 Hamish McClure (6-0, 190, Fr.)
    19 Tristen Meyer (6-0, 190, Fr)

so, we'll see.
  • CK2
    Interesting, thanks! Sorta what I figured but good to hear the actual details.

What happened to Wyatt Clapper? He get hurt hurt too? He started the last few games and weird for him to not be on the 3 deep yet still list Thomson. Perhaps some gamesmanship?
  • DrMike
    maybe holding him back to redshirt. Had he played 4 games?
  • Russ Bowlus
    Davis Turkey Trot (scheduled for Saturday) postponed to early December, FWIW.
  • Riveraggie
    Big Sky stats have Wyatt playing in 6 games already.
  • DrMike
    Their game notes mentioned one qb hurt his shoulder, maybe it was clapper
  • movielover
    Ditto. Especially evident when JM couldn't lead Doss deep on at least 2-3 occassions ... but the weather was brutal, if it was 30 degrees at gametime, then add wind chill. And he had pressure. But I don't recall us going deep a lot this year, Doss has been doubled.
  • Riveraggie
    He's thrown deep on occasion, but Doss was double covered.

Not criticizing, just saying let's see what we can get on the ground. That's how we came back against them last year and Its been their weakness this year. We've showed we can run more effectively this year, although we had a struggle doing it consistently against EWU, we had some success against them and against everyone else.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Due to the Camp Fire, UC Davis Athletics is monitoring air quality for the safety and health of its student-athletes, and everyone involved with Saturday's game, and will do so throughout the week. As of the time of this release, kickoff will take place at 12 p.m. UCDavisAggies.com and football's Twitter account will provide the latest information regarding this year's Causeway Classic.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2018/11/14/football-uc-davis-hosts-sacramento-state-in-saturdays-12-pm-causeway-classic.aspx
  • agalum

Good fine and info, i’ve been watching for an announcement like this. It’s a reasonable approach considering all the variables.
  • movielover
    Will Hawkins address the unknowns tonight in the Coaches Show? 7PM, KHTK.
  • NCagalum
    from “I”ll take hindsight is 20/20 for 200 Alex”
    I asked myself whether, at the first drive of the second half, what would have eventuated if the Ags went almost exclusively to the run - at least until everyone was sucked up into the box. The passing game was shut down and the run game had been effective. I think it was probably such a foreign idea and the Ags has not been shut down in the air line that before. Easy to second guess.
  • movielover
    Run game with a 215# RB who just broke off a 65 yd TD run.
  • DrMike
    On radio show they said Thomson is back this week
  • CK2
    Well that certainly makes things a little more interesting. Hasn’t played in weeks BUT definitely the best option by far they can throw at UCD. No bogeys, need to be ready to play from the get go...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!