• CA Forever
    Game will be on November 24th at 5 PM EST on ESPN3. I'll be tuning in for sure to scout out our possible opponents. Massey is currently giving UNI a 90% chance of winning.
  • CK2
    Lamar gonna be like a 27 Point underdog at UNI if that give you a feel for the matchup. Lamar playing better than that current rating IMO so that might be a little heavy but I’m not yet lining up to back them either: first ever playoff game, in a dome (will be very loud) vs a very physical team. IMO, these conferences don’t match up well. Don’t be fooled by records. Panthers shouid eat here.

SOS is a huge advantage for UNI. They have been tested all year.
    UNI #1
    Lamar #71
    (UCD is 15)

FWIW, Lamar lost their starting QB a few wks back vs SHSU and turned to back up (Hoy). The starter (Colbert) was available two weeks ago but Hoy still started. Both QB’s played. Yesterday Colbert was back to starting but Hoy took two series before the half. Seems like they are shifting back to Colbert but we’ll see come Saturday. Lamar started 0-3 or 0-4 I think they hit their bye and clearly figured things out. Never looked back and reeled off 6 straight wins. Impressive considering they we’re underdogs in all of them by 2 I think.

UNI lost 4 of their 5 games on the road. Their only Home Loss was to NDSU which was a great game. Final scote not indicative of the flow. I watched most of that game and it was a 1 score game into the fourth. UNI was leading At that point. They also had an impressive home win against SDSU. They were less impressive on the road. Big split in performance Home va road (will try to dive into this a little later to see what I can uncover)

Common opponent: Montana. Ags best them up there, UNI lost by 3. That was first game of the season though so much has changed. I’m speaking as of its UNI that the Ags will face bc it would be a major upset if it wasn’t tbh.

Just a few things to chew for now.

Sadly , I’m in New York that week (trip planned for months so I’m gonna to miss that game and it’s eating at me already)
  • AggieFinn

I've got folks coming out of the woodwork to make it, so we'll be yelling 10x over while you're in NY!
  • CK2
    I saw this potentially coming a few weeks back and knew if they got seed/bye I was out of luck. Lots of friends will be there and I’ll be streaming somewhere. The atmosphere shouid be amazing and I’m bummed to miss that scene.
  • eastbayaggie

Northern Iowa seems to be the second scariest 1st round team. I think James Madison is the scariest.
    Northern Iowa also seems to play very well or very badly, and I can't interpret why. As you've mentioned, they play worse on the road.
  • eastbayaggie
    I don't know much about Northern Iowa, so I spent time reading their message board.

It sounds like the fans want to fire their coach for years. UNI has lots of talent every year, but they never seem to play up to their potential. It fits a pattern of being a 7-5 team, win the first game of the playoffs, and then lose the second round. Their fans are tired of that since UNI used to perform a higher level during their glory years.

Their plays are a predictable run on first down, run on second down, then pass on third. (I don't know if that's true though.) They have a pretty good field goal kicker. UNI also has a reputation of being undisciplined with many penalties. They play very well against talented teams, and then play pretty badly against weaker teams. They're pointing this as the coach's fault.

Their fans aren't a happy bunch. Nevertheless, they seem to like their playoff drawing.
  • CA Forever
    You never quite know, we could end up playing Lamar... any given saturday and what not. Let's just enjoy the ride boys. 1st playoff run, let's make it historic.
  • AggieFinn
    Game time is at 2 pm PT today.

Come on down to The Grad and watch the game with the Aggie Coaching Staff.
  • eastbayaggie
    We're all Lamar fans today, right?
  • CA Forever
    I'm gonna be rooting for them, that's for sure.
  • NCagalum
    Lamar QB giving UNI fits.
  • CA Forever
    His ability to extend the play is REALLY hurting UNI early.
  • DrMike
    Uh, maybe we’d like to see a UNI comeback?
  • AggieFinn
    I want 4OT and no energy left
  • BlueGoldAg
    Lamar is really mouthy. They are talking animated trash on about every defensive play they make. I'm surprised the officials are allowing that much trash talking.
  • NCagalum
    UNI looks a bit out of synch and flat.
  • NCagalum
    UNI announcers sound very professional. UNI playing very conservatively, but their passing game is not very impressive.

Montana beat UNI this year and SLO should have won last year at UNidome yet they beat SDSU so hard to figure out UNI other than they are a very beatable team.
  • NCagalum
    Interception by Lamar deep in UNI territory. Tipped by lineman.
  • AggieFinn
    UNI driving now...
  • DrMike
    Lamar is pretty aggressive with blitzes. I think Jake would tear that up
  • NCagalum
    UNI kicker is very good. Game may come done to that.
  • NCagalum
    UNI QB nothing like Maier
  • movielover
    Anyone ask Hawkins about the steam engine or cow bells?
  • DrMike
    I’ve only watched second half. Pretty simple offenses. Good size on both teams lines. I think both teams will have trouble prepping for our pass game. UNI rum game is oksy
  • agalum

I chatted with him and Blue but didn’t get a chance to bring that up.
  • NCagalum
    Rather have them thinking about defensive schemes. Confident Aggies can put up points on either.
  • AggieFinn
    Throw a lot of it out the window. Playoffs after the Thanksgiving stupor are wide open.

I have no doubt both teams would open it up in Davis.
  • agalum

Absolutely, I don’t think either one of these teams have seen an O like ours
  • NCagalum
    I predict a missed FG by Lamar. Looked like horse collar and/or face mask on Lamar QB.
  • NCagalum
    Kicking, turnovers and defense win the big games.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!