• Siouxfan
    Have been on the Slac St site and others saying a that Big Sky changes are coming. But was ridiculed there because everything never changes.

In 2011 or so, a Denver U blogger said that Montana and Montana St almost went to the WAC when it needed more members. That source said they pulled out just before UTSA, Texas St and UT-Arlington joined because the Montanas didn’t want to be in a conference with such bad travel. NMSU needed Texas schools and Cal Poly and UCDavis could not go FBS then because of the then ongoing California budget crisis.

So the Montanas forced through adding North Dakota and South Dakota (who didn't accept) to the Big Sky, which also have FBS desires, and adding UCDavis and Cal Poly to the Big Sky as they wanted future FBS partners. That blog is now deleted.

UCDavis has also deleted a website that they claimed had taken massive donations for an expanded stadium. Never believed that UCDavis would be content as a lowly FCS team for long. When the budget situation was better, Davis hired former Boise St coach Hawkins who brought their program up from the depths.

A year ago the Big West invited UCSD and Cal St Bakersfield to go to 11schools. Both of those schools had asked before and were rejected, but suddenly the Big West did an about face in spite of dividing their NCAA money between more mouths. IMHO, UCDavis and Cal Poly will leave for the WAC and they told the Big West early or face financial penalties.

Dixie St and Metro St of Denver will announce their plans to move in January to DI. They claim the WAC is interested, but that is only a cover story for their intentions which is the Big Sky.

The WAC has enough schools that have wanted to be FBS for years, but it only made sense when the WAC again gets the CFP money in 2025,but they need to qualify as a new FBS conference then. The WAC can still invite schools to FBS, so if a group of schools want it, it would be so much cheaper than getting a schedule independently like Liberty has done.

The new WAC will be
    West
    UCDavis - Sac St
    Cal Poly - Cal Baptist
    NMSU - GCU
    East
    UTRGV - Sam Houston St
    McNeese St - Lamar- Incarnate Word
    FBS only for Wichita St and Mo St
    Non fb for UMKC and Oral Roberts

The Big Sky will be reduced to
    N Arizona
    S Utah
    N Colorado
    Idaho St
    Portland St
    Seattle and Utah Valley will be non fb schools
    Dixie St and Metro St will be added this year
    CWU and perhaps Azusa Pacific

Montana, Mont St, EWU, Idaho, and Weber St will all leave for the Summit which will also start fb and eventually go FBS and will partner with the WAC. The Dakotas school were just a few years from DII in 2011 but are now mature enough and have facilities and donors that could support a move up.

Denver and Omaha will be happy because they both depend on UND for their hockey rivalries, which is all three biggest sport financially.

Tarleton St has already said it wants DI with the Southland.

PUFW has already wanted the Horizon League and W Illinois will want in the OVC or Horizon.

Davis fans have brains so these thought are not beyond them. UCDavis has always had FBS plans.
  • Siouxfan
    The MWC won’t take a FCS moveup. UCDavis needs too spend time in a lower FBS league.

If UCDavis has aspirations, it needs to move soon.
  • agalum
    Sioux, thanks for stopping by. I certainly don't have a pulse on FBS and FCS politics, but i don’t see UC Davis making the big jump anytime in the near future. And I dont see any evidence that we have always had FBS plans, other than some posts on this board. Heck, weve had changes in Chancellors, ADs, and coaches. Any aspirations from previous adminitrators would be long gone.
  • Siouxfan
    UCDavis and Cal Poly would have moved up earlier in this decade, but state budgets derailed that. For a research school, playing in FCS or DII is downright embarrassing for college administrators.

What SJSU does, UCDavis should do much better.

It’s FBS or drop football altogether.
  • fugawe09
    The only thing I’ve heard May and Blue say is they want to be successful on the field and in the classroom and that they want athletics to be the “front porch” of the university. Sac State has said similar lately. I don’t know if that is really FBS speak. I mean, what gets you mileage... being a big fish in the FCS pond (and we’re not yet until we prove year over year success) but not getting much media play or being irrelevant in FBS and playing mostly irrelevant teams, and if you have a really good year go to the Dollar General Bowl that nobody’s heard of and still getting no media play? Just ask Boise State and UCF how hard it is to break into the circle of relevance. But I see your point that enrollment-wise, UCD and Sac are larger than most FCS schools.
  • Siouxfan
    Coastal Carolina moved up to FBS with under 8000 attendance and under 10k seats. They expanded their stadium to nearly 20k and went to a bowl game their first year eligible.

Except for the facility cost, FBS may be cheaper than FCS. Playing at UC or UCLA or some P5 will get you 3 times the rate of an FCS school. Tie in the CFP payment, conference TV and bowl deals and the increased media (counts as advertising), and it's cheaper at FBS if you have an FBS conference.
  • Siouxfan
    The WAC will set up its own Bowl deals. The Potatoe Boise Bowl, the new Tucson Bowl, the new Frisco Bowl and maybe a new bowl in Salt Lake can be had.
  • OC Aggie
    These projected conference shuffles are interesting to speculate upon but I rarely find them convincing, especially when there isn't solid evidence to back them up. Personally, I'd rather make some more deep runs in the playoffs before we entertain the thought of becoming perennial Salad Bowl contenders.
  • Siouxfan
    All of the,Montana's, Weber St and the Dakotas have made major improvements to their student athlete practice facilities. EWU will make some decisions this month.

But lo and behold UCDavis just invested $40 mill in an enhanced facility to make further in roads on FBS recruiting and renamed the stadium UC Davis Health Stadium, while the AD gets naming rights.

An attempt to wrest away athletes from Fresno and,SJSU in the future.
  • Gunrock47
    I suppose we can dream.
  • Bige70
    I like to dream to but @Siouxfan' description of the WAC looks like a nightmare to me. I'm holding out hope for a great run of success at FCS over the next 3-5 years, and sliding into SJSU's spot in the MWC when they inevitably throw in the towel.
  • Siouxfan
    The MWC won’t take an FCS UCDavis. They will take a FBS UCDavis.

When the Big 12 loses Texas and Oklahoma and perhaps Kansas, the MWC will lose some schools too. Davis will almost be first to get a call if you are FBS. UTEP, Rice, and UTSA will be the others.
  • DrMike
    Big 12 loses Texas and Oklahoma to whom? i can't imagine any conference wants to go to 14 teams
  • 72Aggie
    The Big Ten is currently at 14 teams...It makes football scheduling unmanageable. I think they currently play the other 6 teams in their own division and two teams in the other. If you're in the West you might play Rutgers and Indiana....or you might play Michigan and An Ohio State University. I believe that will change in the next year or two and teams will play the six in their own division and three in the other division.

In basketball teams now interupt the non-conference early season to play two conference games in early December before finishing the month with tournaments and non-conference games.

Ironically at one time there were ten teams in the Big Twelve and twelve teams in the Big Ten.
  • Siouxfan
    Texas wants a deal like Notre Dame with the ACC. Oklahoma won’t stay in the Big 12 w/o Texas. Ideally, they want the B1G or SEC.

The Big Ten would take both as would the PAC12. Kansas may be in play too. The Big 12could be crumbs taking teams from the AAC and MWC.
  • Siouxfan
    Think of how a new WAC would open up the field for UCDavis sports other than fb.

Baseball: Davis will be the favorite.
    MBb: NMSU will be hard to overcome, but your no longer in a SOCal league.
    Soccer M&W: Davis the favorite
    W Volleyball: Davis the favorite
    Most women’s sports: Davis the favorite

Some sports that the WAC doesn’t sponsor, you’ll remain in the Big West. But that means you have to give them notice, which you did by ensuring Bake and UCSD are in.

After FBS is transitioned, you’ll shoot to the top of the MWC list.
  • Gunrock47
    Aggie baseball and WVB as conference favorites? Idk man.
  • 72Aggie
    If the B1G were to take Texas and Oklahoma the conference would have 16 members. It is already too big to manage with 14.
  • ucdboyd
    lol- take it easy DavisAggie. I'm not sure I see it happening the same way as Siouxfan envisions, but its interesting to read ideas from another perspective.
  • zythe
    I heard that Hawk has been making secret recruiting trips in the hopes of landing another great quarterback that would take him into FBS territory. It’s a recruit that no one has really heard of, some almost say that he “came out of the sky”. The kid is a 6’ 3” stud with a rocket arm and almost reddish eyes. I forget his first name but his last name is Kent and comes from a small town of Krypton located I don’t know where. Maybe some of you have more info...
  • AggieFinn

A DE named Thor, and a RB named Eron Mann, or something like that...also out there in Hawkville.

ctu7y4fwehh0cdkl.jpg
  • 72Aggie
    Siouxfan....your suggestions are interesting in a hypothetical, armchair philosopher sort of way, but I don't see any likelihood in the foreseeable future of directional and "at" teams from California playing directional and "at" teams from Texas in a common league.

Of more immediate concern to you, it looks like it may be time to take a break from gazing into the future and focus on the UND hockey team in the present. Bad weekend for the Skating Hawks.
  • DrMike
    We’ve recently added beach volleyball and equestrian to the women’s side for Title IX. What could we add to match the extra 20 FBS scholarships?
  • 72Aggie

NCAA sports: bowling, fencing, ice hockey, rifle, skiing.

Outside of the NCAA? 'Furd has sailing.

Squash? Quidditch?

A favorite from my misspent youth: 43 man squamish - https://madcoversite.com/quiz_olympics.html
  • eastbayaggie

According to this old article, we could add fencing for 22 scholarships:

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/article202014879.html

"An equestrian team would offer a roster of up to 55 students, and a rowing team could carry 55-70 students. Rugby (as many as 30), beach volleyball (20) and fencing (22) would each allow fewer participants, according to the release."
  • 72Aggie
    I imagine the gender of the horses for the equestrian team doesn't count for Title IX purposes, huh?
  • 69aggie
    72 very good! But do take note that there are also trans horses on the team. Geldings. I would argue they count towards TIX. . . But maybe they should be banned?. . . Oh, oh, in trouble- no politics allowed on this site! No!
  • movielover
    How about our polo teams?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!