• NCagalum
    18 points at half??? They look really lost with Hawaii’s man to man defense (or should that be woman to woman).
  • BlueGoldAg
    Total domination by Hawai'i. Aggies got totally outplayed. Shocking really...
  • Zander
    Down by 14 at the half. What the heck.

Hawaii's doing better against us than they did against UCR
  • cmt
    Davis laying an egg in the conference tournament? Haven't seen this story before. Hopefully they turn it around in the second.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Defense was much better in the 2nd quarter. But they are playing very tight on offense.
  • NCagalum
    The real difference in my mind is the Hawai’i defense. UCI looked like a high school defense by comparison and were in a collapsed zone. Aggie’s jave not adjust to the man-to-man defense.
  • BlueGoldAg
    As good as the Ags have been in the past 3 years they have not been able to win the Big West Tournament yet.
  • cmt
    Good start to the half. Hopefully a sign of things to come.
  • cmt
    Could have used that follow up at the end of the quarter which would have made it 4 but I'll take them only being down 6 considering it was 17 earlier in the quarter.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Going to come down to the 4th. Ags down by 6
  • cmt
    Did the hard part in coming back from 17 down. Just need to finish it now.
  • Zander
    Ags take the lead!!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Bring it home Ags!!
  • OC Aggie
    IT AIN'T OVER 'TIL IT'S OVER! AGS WIN!
  • Zander
    THEY FINALLY DID IT
  • BlueGoldAg
    An incredible, gut check comeback to win the Championship. FANTASTIC!

Congratulations to the team and the coaches. It took a few years to get to go Dancing but they derived this and made it happen.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Hall makes the All-Tournament Team, and Bertsch is the Tournament MVP. Nice!
  • agalum
    Wow, exciting finish! Congratulations lady Aggies!
  • NCagalum
    Wow. Couldn’t watch so I tuned to the Utah state game (another alma mater and Aggie’s too). Was shocked when I checked back.
    Man put those scissors away - don’t hurt yourself.
  • Zander
    As an SDSU guy, I did the opposite. Congrats to USU though, they looked really good out there
  • eastbayaggie
    Great adjustments in the second half. However, I don't have enough basketball knowledge to know what UCD has done differently. Can someone tell me why UCD dominated in the second half but not in the first half?
  • Zander
    The ESPN commentators would tell you that it was just a matter of stepping up the intensity. They argued that there wasn't much technically wrong with what the Ags were doing; they just weren't playing with enough energy to challenge Hawaii.

Also, it looked to me that shots just started dropping for the Ags, while they also were reducing the amount of easy looks for Hawaii's shooters. I don't think that explains all of it though
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I’ll take a stab. In the first half our defense,especially our perimeter defense was very soft. To uh credit they hit their open shots. Uh scored 22 in the first quarter and 28 the rest of the way. On offense we started out alright but once we missed a few we got timid and passed on good looks. Second half we were much more aggressive on defense extending way out to their shooters. And once the momentum switched we started playing with confidence. Song played a great game defensively. Also the refs started calling things a bit closer in the second half which helped because uh was really pushing us around.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Uh scored 22 in the first quarter and 28 the rest of the way.

This was pretty amazing. UH scoring by quarter: 22/10/10/8. They made one (1) FG in the 4th quarter and 5 FTs. One FG!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Oldbanduhalum summed it up nicely. I'll add a couple of my thoughts. UH came out aggressive and we didn't match that intensity. UH was setting high screens and our perimeter defense was having a lot of trouble fighting through them and Hawai'i was hot hitting 7 of 13 3's in the first half. We looked shell shocked at the end of the first quarter down 12.

Even though we were down 14 at the half we were starting to show some life but Hawai'i drained another 3 and we were down 17. The big difference when we made our run was that our defense started playing tough defense. Once we got the lead under 10 you could feel the confidence coming back and, at that point, I knew we had a good chance.

Sofia Song was huge in my opinion. Good defense and a critical 3 to take the lead which demoralized Hawai'i. Cierra Hall battled inside for a couple of buckets and was physical on the boards. She matched Hawai'i's physicality. I love how competitive she is. Although she'll still miss some gimme's she's getting better and better on offense and is beginning to knock down some 15 jumpers. Nice to see her make the All Conference team.

So I think the biggest factor between the first half and the second for us was that we stepped up and played tough defense in the second half and Hawai'i wasn't getting the wide open looks they were getting on the perimeter that they got in the first half.

Bracketology is predicting that we'll be a 15 seed which will be a travesty if that happens. This is a team that has won 3 straight Big West Titles. I think they are a legitimate 11-13.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!