• Russ Bowlus
    Kenedy Lily on the left as Jen walks in?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think you are right. Wow...she looks like she could be a force in the paint.
  • oldschool
    - No, I think that is the wife of assistant coach Matt Klemin.
  • movielover
    Any chance we get a home game or two??
  • eastbayaggie

My guess is that UCD will play away at Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State or an outside chance at Gonzaga. The selection committee loves regional games for the first round.

I'm hoping away at Gonzaga.
  • Zander
    My understanding is that's impossible barring a ridiculously good seed -- like 4-seed good.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I've seen a couple of bracketology predictions having us as a 14 seed playing a 3 seed. One has us going to Iowa State and another has us going to U of Miami. It's going to be a huge challenge wherever they go.
  • eastbayaggie

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/womens-basketball-selections-101-bracket

I found this part interesting:

The committee also will attempt to assign each team to the most geographically compatible regional.

Step Five

These additional considerations also are made: If possible, rematches of regular-season games should be avoided in the preliminary rounds. Rematches of previous years’ tournament games should be avoided, as well. And after examining the previous five years’ brackets, teams or conferences will not be moved out of their natural region or geographic area an inordinate number of times.

If I interpret this correctly, then I guess it's still possible we can play at Stanford in the first round since we've played at Stanford in the preseason instead of the regular season.

I'd be surprised if UCD is sent out of the western geographic area although I wouldn't mind.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We'll have to wait until Monday at 4 pm for the Women's Selection Show on ESPN to see where they go.
  • movielover
    How many March Madness touney's have the women been to?
  • Kerberos
    just 1 in 2011 with Sandy Simpson. And that also followed a string of BWCT disappointments where we came into the tournament as #1 seed only to lose. Paige Mintun was our star then, and she too had to wait until her senior year to dance.

We played at Stanford in a 16 vs 1 pairing. Wasn’t really fair.
  • aggie08
    Latest ESPN projection has us as a 13 seed squaring off against Oregon State: http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think that would be a great draw for us. Same time zone, not a terribly long road trip and we'd probably have a decent amount of fan support including family and friends our players from the northwest: the Eatons, McKeown, and Stobbart.

We'd have to deal with their incredible height: 6'9, 6'8 and 6'7 but most of their scoring comes from their guards and I think Morgan's quickness could give them problems. It's hard to shoot over that kind of height in the paint but Morgan could stretch them out with her ability to shoot from the outside. Somehow we'd have to be able to limit their second chance points and, with their size, they can pretty much just stand there flat footed and get rebounds.
  • BlueGoldAg
    From the Associated Press: UC Davis rallies from 17 down to win Big West women's title

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Cal Davis saved its biggest comeback in nearly eight years for the perfect time.

The Aggies trailed Hawaii 39-22 with 7:18 remaining in the third quarter on Saturday before rallying to capture their first Big West Conference Women's Tournament title in eight years, defeating the Rainbow Wahine 58-50.

"To say we faced some adversity is a bit of an understatement. We either were going to stand up to them and their pressure or we were going to go home disappointed," UC Davis coach Jennifer Gross said. "We came up with some big stops and big plays to turn the momentum back."

Tournament MVP Morgan Bertsch led the Aggies (25-6) with 24 points and Cierra Hall added 14. UC Davis -- which is headed to the NCAA Women's Tournament for the first time since 2011 -- has won a program record 15 straight and 22 of its last 23.

The last time UC Davis rallied from 17 down to win was on Dec. 20, 2011. Its opponent? Hawaii.

More here: http://www.espn.com/ncw/recap?gameId=401121563
  • 69aggie
    Is there any way to watch this again?
  • Zander
    Search for it on espn.com/watch ; it should be available for replay
  • Zander
    My jaw dropped at the heights of the OSU players. Our shooters could probably still make life difficult for them, but dang, I never thought I'd see a team that had 5" on Morgan
  • 69aggie
    Thanks BGA. I think you need to see these kinds of games for your spiritual health more than once. I confess I gave up on the Ladies for awhile and did some yard work very depressed. Yet look what happened! These gals are totally winners no matter what happens down the line. I truly believe that most of them will become great successes in whatever they do after graduation.
  • movielover
    Could we run on Oregon State?
  • 69aggie
    Run? The twins can run and run and run. I am not that worried about the Oregon State size as I am about how we defend the perimeter because thats where they get their points. Hall and Nina will get the RBs.
  • movielover
    A way to negate that height is to push the pace.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here are a few excerpts from an extensive Enterprise article interviewing Jen Gross and the Aggie players:

Q. What went wrong in that first half? Then how did the Aggies turn it around in the second 20 minutes?

Gross — “It’s such a blur. Our goal was to defend and rebound. And to Hawaii’s credit, they scored on us pretty much every time to start the game. We weren’t playing with enough urgency. On the offensive side, I thought we were really stagnant.

“We talked about getting the ball moving, but (Hawaii) was doing a really good job with the pressure and we were being passive, quite frankly.

“As a group, we came into this game telling ourselves, ‘We’re not going to let ourselves get stagnant,’ and we did.

“I thought in the second half, when we can get stops, when can get going in transition, put a little pressure on their defense and play a little faster, we got a couple of buckets that way.

“I thought (Cierra Hall) really did a tremendous job. They were sagging off her — they were helping and trying to double-team and cross things up for Morgan — (Hall) made a number of really nice plays for us, whether that was passing plays or scoring plays.

“We told our guards we have to try to be more aggressive. We can’t be passive in our offense. We have to try to kick it, then drive it again and then look inside.

“That was planned. We tried to get people in the right positions so Morgan could have a little more space attacking the basket — and she did a tremendous job finishing…

“I think our defense really did fuel our offense. We were able to finally get some stops. For a lot of teams, I think when they score, then they feel good and then they play harder on defense. For our team, all year long, we hung our hats on our defense.

“Just a tremendous job of focus through our (second-half) multiple possessions.”[/quote]

Q. Cierra, Hawaii is a physical team, but it seemed like your physicality in the second half had a big impact in making them a little less physical. How did you feel about your game and the physical aspect of the game?

Cierra Hall — “They came out and like punched us in the face with their physicality.

“We had to react to that. Being physical, to me, is the best part of the game — getting in there and banging with the big dogs. I’ve been an undersized post my whole life, so to me there’s nothing better than going out there, and the refs letting us play, being able to give it right back to them.

“If that’s how I can help my team — get the boards and help to be physical — then that’s what I’ll do every single time. It was blast, being in there and banging.”

Sofia Song's father has been in a coma for 2 years after a heart attack:

Q. Sophia, can you describe your emotions during the celebration? Was that relief, joy? What can you describe?

Song — “I’m getting emotional just thinking about it again. Maybe because …

(Long pause as a tearful Song tries to collect herself)

“I’m so, so happy. These are happy tears. This woman right here (Gross) helped me get through the hardest years of my life. I really wanted to stop playing basketball last year — but she and my teammates really got me to this point where I am out there competing and performing.

“To be of this much help to the team and to win this whole thing is just an unbelievable feeling. This is a huge win for the program, but it is a really big personal one for me as well.

(As Song’s emotions again got the better of her, there was another long pause as Gross, Bertsch and Hall consoled their sister.)

“Thanks to all these people for not letting me give up.

“I can’t describe how I am feeling right now. To be where I am, even mentally, it’s just a crazy feeling.

“I am so grateful and blessed to be a part of this program and there were too many emotions that hit me when we won that I can’t even describe it.

“I’m just very thankful for all these people. I’m very, very happy.”[/quote]

Much more here: https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/whew-take-a-breath-aggie-women-here-ya-go-again/
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Regardless of who we play, be it Oregon St or Oregon or any other high seed (realtimeRPI.com has us as at NC State...we'll know for sure in a couple of hours), we'll be faced with big athletic opponents. What we'll need to do is use our strengths, Morgan's and Hall's quickness getting to the rim, good outside shooting, and smart aggressive defense. We are an opportunistic team so I'm sure we'll run when we have the chance. Otherwise, we'll run the clock down a bit, try to get Morgan or Hall working in space so they can use their quickness, and set up plenty of screens to free up our shooters.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Fingers crossing for a date in Corvallis or Eugene--we fortuitously have a spring break trip to Seattle already booked.
  • Russ Bowlus
    According to the bracket that ESPN leaked, UCD is headed back to Stanford as a 15. :meh:
  • AggieOutcast
    With the success of the football and women's basketball teams, I say IT'S A GOOD DAY TO BE AN AGGIE! I checked in over the weekend on the Aggie women in the Big West Tournament and was pleased that they didn't break against Hawaii. Yes, I know Stanford has always been one of women's college basketball's toughest programs, but getting to the NCAA tournament is what it's all about. I hope Jennifer Gross resists the idea of joining a Pac 12 program. She has a great thing going in Davis and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the good fortunes keep coming the Aggie women's way.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!