• BlueGoldAg
    Hahaha...I completely messed up on that...you're right...CSUN is playing in the CBI at Utah Valley. I fixed the post.

Fullerton is actually playing in the CIT and is hosting Bakersfield on Thursday.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Kevin Blue is on the CIT Selection Committee:

CIT SELECTION COMMITTEE
    The CIT Selection Committee consists of 12 current NCAA Division I Athletic Directors and Conference Commissioners.

Kevin Blue, UC Davis
    Jim Donovan, Cal State Fullerton - Committee Chairman
    Ted Gumbart, Atlantic Sun Conference
    Tim Hall, UMBC
    Kelley Hartley Hutton, Fort Wayne
    Ryan Ivey, Stephen F. Austin
    Lenny Kaplan, NJIT
    Eugene Marshall, Jr., Hampton
    Jeremy McClain. Troy
    Ed McLaughlin, VCU
    Bob Moosbrugger, Bowling Green
    Peter Pilling, Columbia
  • BlueGoldAg
    The 2019 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament
    All Times EST

First Round

MONDAY, MARCH 18
    NJIT 92, Quinnipiac 81

TUESDAY, MARCH 19
    Cornell (15-15) vs. Robert Morris (17-16) 7:00 pm

Jim Phelan Classic
    IUPUI (16-16) vs. Marshall (19-14) 7:00 pm

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 20
    Texas Southern (21-13) vs. New Orleans (19-13) 8:00 pm
    Grambling (17-16) vs. UT Rio Grande Valley (19-16) 8:00 pm
    Presbyterian (18-15) vs. Seattle (18-14) 10:00 pm

Hugh Durham Classic
    Green Bay (17-16) vs. ETSU (24-9) 7:00 pm

THURSDAY, MARCH 21
    FAU (17-15) vs. Charleston Southern (17-15) 7:00 pm

Coach John McLendon Classic
    Saint Francis Brooklyn (17-15) vs. Hampton (16-17) 7:00 pm

Riley Wallace Classic
    CSU Bakersfield (16-15) vs. Cal State Fullerton (16-17) 10:00 pm

Lou Henson Classic
    Kent State (22-10) vs. UL Monroe (18-15) 8:00 pm

FRIDAY, MARCH 22
    Drake (24-9) vs. Southern Utah (16-16) 8:30 pm

SATURDAY, MARCH 23
    FIU (19-13) vs. Texas State (24-9) 7:00 pm

Second Round
    NOTE: Top 3 seeds will get a bye after first round

Quarterfinals
    March 27-31

Semifinals
    April 2

Championship
    April 4

http://www.2019cit.com/schedule-results.php
  • BlueGoldAg
    Apparently UCSB and Hawai'i had offers to play in a post-season tournament but turned them down. Those other tournaments are pay for play with little exposure so they must have felt it's not worth it.
  • eastbayaggie
    Is it a safe bet that next year's seniors will not ask for a tough preseason schedule next year? I presume a tough preseason this year backfired.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Who knows? I would think that we won't see such a stacked schedule but I hope we don't water the schedule down to the point that the wins are essentially meaningless for our RPI and SOS and any loses to weak teams brings the RPI and SOS way down real fast.

I believe we are already scheduled to play in the Hardwood Classic again next season so we will be playing at Indiana and Arkansas again.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I agree with EBA, I can't see us scheduling a rigorous schedule as we'll be breaking in quite a few new players, along with an increase in responsibility for several players who got some minutes this year.

As part of the Hardwood Showcase, will we get to host any of the return games (not Arkansas or Indiana)? UT Arlington, Texas A&M CC and Montana State were part of the showcase, although we didn't play Montana St.? And I think i probably say this each year, but with 5 D1 schools in the Bay Area, it'd be nice to play at least a few of them each year, and actually host one or two games.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Les comments on the disappointing season:

“I’m disappointed in my ability to help this team navigate success, and all the attention that it brings; being able to stay true to ourselves and true to the characteristics that have made us a successful program,” eighth-year Aggie coach Jim Les told The Enterprise.

“I think we lost our way (in 2018-19), and as the leader of the program, that’s on me.”

Les, the author of three 20-plus-game winning seasons in the last five, pondered the ups and downs before offering his next thought …

“Probably what makes the flashback more disappointing is that we showed flashes throughout the year of the type of team we could be and the level of basketball that we could play at — which was a pretty high level.

“We just weren’t able to establish a level of consistency with that.

“It first and foremost starts with our mindset and that’s what made it all the more frustrating for all of us — players and coaches. We had those moments where it was all clicking. It was pretty compelling.

“We just couldn’t find that blueprint enough.”

And hints that he is still recruiting for next year:

He confirmed that his staff will remain intact and that there’s still work to do before the April 19 signing deadline.

“We’re really excited about the recruiting class we’ve already signed. There’s going to be more to come,” Les added. “It’s a talented group. The lure of coming to a world-class university in a world-class community is really exciting.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggie-mens-season-was-not-what-we-wanted/
  • DrMike
    i worry about Squire and whether we will see him next year. Odd that he missed the final game and tournament, not even in attendance.
  • BlueGoldAg
    He could have been sick and they didn't want him to spread a bug to the team. He got quite a bit of playing time this year and he showed promise with some time to develop more. Les does always recruit a lot of guards though so he would have competition for the a starting spot. I would be surprised if he wasn't back next year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Utah Valley beat Fullerton last night in the CBI Tournament 92-84 in Orem, Utah. Lamine Diane had 27 and Terrell Gomez had 22 for the Titans. The big difference in the game was Utah Valley hitting 29-37 FT's to just 13 of 20 for CSUN. The Titans forced 20 UV TO's with 16 steals. CSUN is going to be a force in the Big West next year.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Good to hear that we may see additional signings. Size is obviously a need, whether we get JC transfer Barisic, or someone else. I do wonder about the numbers. We are graduating 5, and we've already added 5 (JC transfer Johnson, and freshman Manjon, Pepper, Murphy and Gehrke). If there are more additions, do we also see some subtractions?
  • DrMike
    i'm hoping you are correct. i just remember the 'where is jackson?' discussion throughout the end of last season, and he no longer with us.

speaking of no longer with us, i see the Mike(y) Henn played a big role on Cal Baptist's first D1 team ever. they are playing Loyola in the CBI. finished 16-14, with a win over New Mexico State (in the WAC?). Lost to Irvine by 3, beat UCR, among others. Looks like he cut off the man-bun. Starter who averaged 6 pts, 4 rebounds. I had high hopes for him for the Ags.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Funny you mentioned Henn. He was at the Honda center for our game against CSUF. Don't know if he was there for the entire day/tournament, or just there to root on his former teammates. I also thought he'd be a mainstay in the lineup for the Ags.
  • 72Aggie
    Bison following our footsteps. Beat North Carolina Central in a play-in game, and for their efforts they get Duke.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Tough draw for nc central to get the playin game again
  • 72Aggie
    As I recall NC Central finished their season something like third in their conference and had to pull an upset or two in the conference tournament.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    As nice as it was to get a NCAA Tournament win...the likes of Arizona State and Ohio State, the last-in-the-field major conference at-larges, should all be in the First Four.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Irvine plays their first round game today at 10:50 a.m. against Kansas State. The game will be televised on TBS.

I think the Eaters have a good chance to win this game and advance. I could see them making it to the Sweet 16 if they play like they are capable of.

Go Anteaters!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bakersfield beat Fullerton 66-58 in the CIT at Fullerton last night.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Irvine and K State tied at the half 30-30. The Eaters are battling hard against a very tough defense by K State.
  • 72Aggie
    Way to go UCI!! 70-64 win over Kansas State!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Awesome win by Irvine 70-64! They'll play the winner of the #12 Oregon vs #5 Wisconsin.
  • aggie08
    Nice win by the Eaters! Well coached with solid D. Should have a shot at the next one too
  • Toke69
    UC Irvine just knocked off Kansas State!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I missed most of the game, but it sounds like UCI was able to handle the tough K St defense. Way to go!
  • BlueGoldAg
    It was a really good game. Irvine won the game with their defense. They held KS to 37% overall and the also made their FT's 17-19. Max Hazzard and Evan Leonard drained some critical 3's and the Eaters were able to stay with KS on the boards. Great win for the conference.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    The rest of the BW is really going to need to step up next year. Both Hazzard and Leonard are Juniors.

I know there is a financial incentive for us to root for other BW teams in the tourney, but above that, it's nice to see the big west getting some national recognition.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, it great recognition for the conference. I think the BW is making progress. Totally agree that the rest of the conference needs to step up to Irvine's level and the Aggies need that and soon. We can't afford to have another down year. That would really set back recruiting.
  • BlueGoldAg
    #12 Oregon beat #5 Wisconsin 72-54 so #13 Irvine will play Oregon on Sunday.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!