• BlueGoldAg
    Excerpts from the Davis Enterprise:

In regards to the Aggie blowout loss to Stanford to start the season:

“We were barely getting our (game) together,” Song told The Enterprise. “We love the matchup. We’re very comfortable playing there (at Maples Pavilion). We’ve played there almost every year. But they’re not to be taken lightly. They are a very good team. We’re ready. We’re super-excited to be playing in the tournament.”

About ESPN leaking the bracket:

Big West Conference Player of the Year Morgan Bertsch recalled when the cat got out of the bag:

“I had just gotten out of my ethics in general engineering final. I looked at my phone and it said, ‘Brackets got leaked, come to the coaches’ office.’ So, yeah, we had known for a while.”

An appreciative Jen Gross:

“As you know, it’s been crazy and little bit of an anti-climactic day for us,” the Cal Aggie Athletics Hall of Fame guard told the throng. “Although this won’t be (us) sitting on the edge of our seats, awaiting our seed, I just wanted to thank … all of the amazing fans and community that are part of our family here at UC Davis.

“I know a lot of people were down in Anaheim — and whether you were there or here at Woodstock’s watching and supporting and believing in us — that entire game, even when things weren’t going our way, your energy, your positivity helped get (that comeback) done for us.

“I know our players said every score that we got during that run, they ran back on defense, feeling tired for a second. But then they looked up at our crowd — going crazy and standing on their feet — and (the players) said it willed them to get that next defensive stop.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/so-much-for-a-surprise-aggie-women-heading-to-stanford/
  • Zander
    So... just get a blank page when I click on the ticket link on the aggies website.

Does anyone know if they sold out? Or am I encountering the usual problems?
  • 69aggie
    The gym I go to in Sonoma is very Stanford oriented. Yet, they know and do love Morgan. Not yet real keen on UC Davis, but some few alums there too. In the obscure locker/steam room world where the so called and very obnoxious experts deliver their opinions it is this: Stanford will play zone and try and lock down Morgan with doubles or even triples low. They will then hope/dare that the Aggies will not shoot well from the 3. Very simple plan. It might just work. But if we knock down some 3s and Morgan gets inside for shots or fouls this plan will not work IMHO. We can actually win this game!
  • DrMike
    i would be surprised our allotment is sold out. Call the ticket office; looks like the normal web page problems
  • BlueGoldAg
    From today's Sacramento Bee:

Morgan the Conqueror – UC Davis basketball star has lineage and game

Bertsch wasn’t recruited as much as she was discovered out of Santa Rosa High School.

She was long and lanky at 6-feet-4-inches. Her red face then was evidence of how much effort she put into crashing the boards, scoring inside and defending as a centerpiece to a playoff program.

The UCD coaching staff in 2014 was reviewing game film of a potential recruit playing against Santa Rosa when Bertsch caught their eye. They didn’t focus on her shot or tenacity. They saw her stride. Aggies coach Jennifer Gross wondered, “who is that gazelle?”

The UCD coaches scouted Bertsch in person. They were underwhelmed. Bertsch was battling a flu, but the potential was there. She was worth another look, and then, ultimately, a scholarship offer.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/article228227434.html#storylink=cpy
  • 72Aggie
    Iowa is my back-up power five team....and right now #15 Mercer is giving the #2 Hawkeye women a game in Iowa City. This is NOT the 15 over 2 upset I want in this tournament.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Iowa pulled it out, 66-61. Saves the upset spotlight solely for UCD
  • Zander
    Called and apparently they did in fact sell out. I learned I have a friend going to the game sitting in general admission anyway, so it's not a concern.

Hopefully this means there's a big Aggie contingent!
  • agalum
    This game is going to be on espn2. According to the guide, espn2 is going to be “whip around” coverage which means they’re covering multiple games during the broadcast. Is there a way to catch just the UC Davis game?
  • Zander
    Maybe the whole game will be on ESPN3? In fact, I imagine it will, seeing as ESPN will already have to have camera crews and everything
  • abridge
    I believe you'll be able to stream individual games using the ESPN app on a mobile device, Apple TV or via your laptop.
  • eastcoastag
    For those of you that live in California, I believe you should be able to watch the entire game on espn2. Here in central Pa espn2 showed the whole Bucknell game.
  • 72Aggie
    Thanks...I watched the end of that game and then switched to watch the end of the UCI-KSU game. A cousin in Iowa City was at the game. I did not hear from her until late in the evening indicating she was finally able to breathe. Mercer came to play. Iowa better wake up.

Now onto even more important games, Go Ags!
  • agalum

Thanks fellas. This morning the guide still shows whip around coverage on espn2, but also said to check ECEHD for individual games. Sure enough, the ladies will be on 791, Directv, at 2:45 PM, pst. Go Ags! Wish i could see it live!
  • NCagalum
    Looks like start of Hawaii game. Need to regain poise.
  • agalum
    Brutal first quarter, 29-9 Stanford
  • NCagalum
    Yah, can’t afford a start like this. Game is over. Need to play for pride at this point.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Wow...the Aggies came out with the "deer in the headlights look" and are totally psyched out...
  • agalum
    49-26 Stanford at half.
  • agalum
    We had the big come back against Hawaii. Stanford will not fold like Hawaii did.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies have been out of it mentally since the tipoff. Everyone is playing timid and tight...making mistakes, standing around on offense and defense...mentally not ready to compete today.
  • agalum

Blue, are you at the game? Hard for me to assess their effort watching on tv, other then the score, lol.
  • MTBAggie
    Ouch. I'm at the game with my son. Tough to watch.
  • aggie08
    Impressed by Stanford. They always seem to provide a humbling experience. But still a phenomenal season overall. All the best to our outstanding seniors. And Sage Stobbart showed flashes of what she can provide on both ends. With Bertsch graduating, she has big shoes to fill. Definitely a step in the right direction for our program- we just played an elite team.
  • abridge
    The Ags played three competitive quarters after the first - but that was enough. The Stanford defense played a very tough game: they were faster and bigger and confident. It showed. Our shooting was terrible that first quarter - but the shots weren't there and then there were forced shots. It carried over to the defensive side where the Ags were a step slower most of the time.

I was pleased with Stobbard's performance. She was in the middle of things and did some fine 3 point shooting.

CC had a terrible game - she had a very difficult defensive assignment (when doesn't she?) and was over matched. She carries a very high expectation for herself, I think, and let it get into her head.

It's too bad we couldn't have played BYU or Auburn. I watched that game and felt we could have been VERY competitive with either team. I liked the BYU team a lot and I'll be cheering for them. But I think they'll have to play a nearly perfect game to be in the contest with Stanford.
  • abridge
    The NCAA tournament is structured in favor of the elite teams. I think we'd see a better tournament if we gave byes to the top 8 seeds and required neutral court contests. Now I know that won't happen for reasons of $$$$. But I can still scream into the wind.

I'm writing mostly about the women's tournament here but the same is true for the men's tournament as well the stratification just isn't as severe on the men's side.
  • movielover
    Buried in the first quarter. When following men's games in contests where there is a mismatch, when successful (not nec a win) - its often the star players who kept us close. Hawkins, Payne, Rivers, others. Bertsch had a tough first quarter, maybe the physicality got in her head.

Could we really stay with them if we didn't spot them 20? They're deeper, bigger, crisper. Curious when Bertsch got rolling if it was against starters or subs. Stobbart great. The team shooting 29% won't cut it. Need more players scoring, can't have 95% of points come from just 3 players.

Great season. Graduate 3 key players. Go Ags.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Well, rough ending to a wonderful season. Yesterday's game just shows you the difference in size and athleticism between mid-majors and the top tier teams. I know that in quarters 2-4 we played them within about 10 points, but honestly, I think Stanford could have won by whatever point total they wanted. They have a classy coaching staff and clearly didn't want to embarrass the Ags. Nice to see a little glimpse of next year with Stobbart. And it was a pretty good showing by the Aggie fan base.

Congratulations to the 3 great seniors. I will miss watching them play!
  • abridge
    Here are some shots from the Aggie game: <https://bit.ly/2TXleDu>

and from the Auburn v BYU game: <https://bit.ly/2HENSme>

Stanford didn't drop deep into their lineup until the 4th quarter although Tara did chose to rest her very best players for several periods during the game. But so did we. We never made it closer than 20 but we played them close to even.

BYU will have their hands full but I'll be rooting for them. Their cheer squad, and in particular their mascot, demonstrated all the best qualities helping a person they didn't know, couldn't have known, reach her seat. The president of BYU will get a letter of appreciation from me as will their AD. Totally class act in all respects. I hope Gunrock and our cheer squad will be as supportive!
  • 69aggie
    Looking ahead to next year; a team led by Cierra, Nina, Sophia and Sage is a lot to build around. We lost 3 starters last year and did very well and a great coach like Jen can get much done with this group as well. Sanders had flashes of talent, but needs to hit the training table to add some quickness. If Sage could develope her footwork a bit she would be much better and she is very good now. Disappointed that McKweon never got her shot going. Konrad may be the Aggie star of the future. Figure that Lily will RS. The firery Trpcic could be the wildcard that ignites the offense. The big Scottish gal could add some needed muscle on the boards, but that is a Sage strength wall. Overall, the Aggies look very good for next year.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!