• SochorField
    Loving every minute of the Hawkins era.
  • 69aggie
    As a vet i think that having Doug on our team will be a big asset just for the fact that dodging bullets is a lot harder than blocking in football. 82d AB pretty damn cool on your resume. He will be a leader on this team! Great recruiting by the Hawk!
  • zythe
    Joe Flaccos’s brother, no?
  • Riveraggie
    I think there is a good chance Doug gets some playing time. He looks like a very strong fit guy. Good enough at football to win a scholarship year’s ago. Airborne physical training probably pretty challenging for a big guy.
  • AggieFinn
    Looking ahead to 2019...circle the VS. MONTANA GAME 9/28/19.

I see a rivalry brewing, Hauck and Co. are coming to town, a quick week after we get back from Fargo taking on the defending champs.

Get ready for some heated football, even dirty football (all on the Montana side), dare I say old school football...
  • movielover
    I hear the bottom of a pile ain't a pretty thing.
  • AggieFinn
    Dan has some great Tweets.

I love that Aggie Game of Thrones graphic!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Holy smokes!!!

• AggieFinn
    NIce write up on 9/21. Big time FCS environment, the mountain top of regular season chances.
  • BlueGoldAg
    mflyfisacwl352oa.png

87: WES PREECE, TE (SR.) -- UC DAVIS

The UC Davis passing attack was one of the best in the FCS last year, ranking third with 322.8 passing yards per game. While Keelan Doss, who's now in the NFL, was understandably the most recognizable name on the offense, Preece was equally as valuable. The two tied for the team high with nine touchdown receptions.

Preece, the 6-foot-5 and 238-pound tight end, earned Second Team All-Big Sky Conference honors and made the STATS All-American Third Team. As a sophomore in 2017, Preece made the All-Big Sky Third Team.

In the last two season, he's caught 65 passes for 905 yards and 18 touchdowns.

Expect Preece to be a huge part of the offense again in 2019, especially with Jake Maier back at quarterback after being named the 2018 Big Sky Offensive Player of the Year.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2019-countdown-wes-preece-uc-davis-bzbz?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Link
  • movielover
    Took a brief look at Kal's team, and our matchup. Here is my quick take, tell me if I am wrong.

They were 7-6, and they claim they were a few points from going 10-3. With 4 close wins, one could also argue they easily could have been 4-9.

The Bears have an unproven Offense with an inexperienced QB who only threw for 1500 yards. Only 5 WRs on scholly. They have a transfer QB who may push for PT. Not sure they'll have a big upgrade. No knowledge on their OL. Not a strength.

Their Defense is the opposite, top-20 production with supposedly lock down DBs. They ran a 3-4, and lost 2 starting DL, so there may be some growing pains there.

Our O vs their D, strength against strength.

Have we the depth on D to replace the 5 or 6 key defensive players we lost?

Way better chance than the Stanford game. Ripe for an upset. The West Coast TV exposure should be great!

Will the Aggie Band-uh be there??!!??
  • AggieFinn

Beating Kal would be the equivalent of beating the Russians to the Moon for me. Guess I'll have to go.
  • 69aggie
    Just a suggestion, but if you have some time to spare some boring afternoon like me today, check out the videos of new QB recruit Trent Tompkins. Now I am fully aware of the false hype that Maxi-preps and others do for players, but if you go the the UC Davis Football Roster site and then go to Tompkins and go to his bio you will get a much different view (“Passportsplayas TV”). At the start this is not good for Trent. He is sacked. He is roughed up big time. But he perseveres. Definitely not the perfect player. But then as the season progresses against some very, very tough teams he show his stuff. Good footwork, deception, quickness, ability to run the football and a great passing arm, in a very unconventional form, as he does not need the balls stitches to throw the football. Which, of course, drives the coaches crazy. And, there is more good stuff about how the college player rating system is so weird, i.e. if he were 1-2” inches taller, based on his national stats he would have been a 5 star recruit. Reminds me of that short kid named Peterson. Or that short kid Kahari. Good job by the Aggies to land this kid. I think we got a true stud here.
  • agalum
    Just booked my flights for the SD game. Alaska has some dynamite deals at the moment.
  • DrMike
    Anyone heard about Cal tickets? Buy through our ticket office or down there? We’re gong to San Diego also. Great City. Terrible place to play football. That game always scares me. Start the season at Cal, then go to that little stadium on the hill. Their QB graduated as did several weapons, so they might be a little down
  • AggieFinn
    World Beater WR Michael Bandy, who is a better receiver and player than Keelan Doss (as proven by the All-American rankings) is now a senior at USD. He will score 4 touchdowns and catch for 250 yards.

As for Cal tix, haven't heard a thing - was nosing around online but am still looking for the Aggie Pack, wherever they might be.
  • agalum
    "Bringing both of these teams to Torero Stadium will be exciting for our players, our coaches and our fans," said McGillis. "We have one of the best venues for college football at San Diego and we are excited to continue competing against top-notch programs from outstanding universities."

https://usdtoreros.com/news/2019/5/30/toreros-schedule-series-against-uc-davis-cal-poly.aspx

And as Mike said, this is always a scary game. But I feel much better about it under Hawk.
  • CA Forever
    Don't get me started on the media's love for Bandy
  • agalum
    As for Cal tix, haven't heard a thing - was nosing around online but am still looking for the Aggie Pack, wherever they might be.AggieFinn

They are available on the Cal site. At some point, I am sure athletics will link it from our football schedule page.

https://www.stanza.co/event/5c0787014ee8f300258f7d09?embed=true
  • AggieFinn

I think the last time we played there was 2010. It was 38-24 by the end of the game, but felt like USD kept hanging around. Was a good Aggie team on the field, beat SJSU that year, but the atmosphere was a little different...low-key, almost like a well attended soccer game. Of course, did have a pre-game atop a downtown high rise with a bunch of Navy demolition experts who had a 5 day shore leave...the memory is slightly hazy.
  • movielover
    Are you joking? He had 3 receptions for 77 yards and 1 TD against us last year. (Unless he left early w an injury.) Their league not exactly Big Sky.
  • AggieFinn

Like I said, beating the world. Had a fantastic game vs. Harvard as well. Stetson, Butler, Marist, totally mopped up.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!