• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggie softball team beat Cal 2-1 for the first time since 1978 which also ended a 15 game losing streak to PAC-12 teams. Sophomore pitcher, Brooke Yanez, who threw a perfect game against Sac State earlier this year, improved to 16-1 and has not allowed an earned run in the past 40.2 innings. Sophomore Alyse Rojas homered in the top of the 7th for the go ahead run and Yanez closed out the game.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2019/3/27/softball-aggies-outlast-golden-bears-to-claim-historic-victory.aspx
  • GoAgsSB
    Outside of one or two games this year they have played really well. Brooke's only loss was in a relief appearance in extra innings under the "international tie-breaker" rule.

Also, you would think that to beat a Pac-12 team you would have to play flawless, but the Aggies actually made 3 errors in that game yesterday (rare for them) and still out played the bears..
  • AggieFinn
    Got me watching the scoreboards... Go Softball!
  • GoAgsSB
    Currently 29-7 with 17 games left. The previous UC Davis record for wins in a season at the D-1 level was set just last year at 27.
  • PortlandAggie
    I've been following this team A LOT, shows you want winning does for a program.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Winning is contagious and, unfortunately, losing is as well. Women's basketball is a great example of this when you look at how the Aggies have dominated lately.

On the other hand, UCSB's women's basketball is an example of how badly things can go once you start losing. In a 21 year span from 1992 to 2012 the Gauchos won 14 Big West Tournament Titles and dominated the conference overall. In the past 5 years they have not had a winning season. They have won only 50 games total including only 2 games in the 2014-15 season.
  • DrMike
    Yanez tossed a no hitter today vs poly to secure a series win. She’s pretty damn good and only a sophomore!
  • 69aggie
    I cannot understand how they lost that first game with Brooke throwing. Picnic Day jitters? No Brooke is unbelievable in the circle.
  • BlueGoldAg
    A perfect game and a no hitter and the season isn't over yet. Pretty impressive!
  • DrMike
    1-0 loss; seems like more of hitter's jitters, than the pitcher.
  • GoAgsSB
    Definitely hitters jitters but that is how this team has lost several of their games this year. They just didn’t hit. Kibby looks to have worked through her early season struggles in the circle to be a great #2 but the offense has just gone to sleep on occasion. Tough to nit pick at a team that is now 31-8 though. Just crazy to think about.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The battle for the Big West title is going to be a dogfight. The Ags are currently sitting in third place 2 games behind Hawai'i. The Rainbow Wahine are on a roll having won 6 straight and the Ags will face them on the island in their final series. The current 31-8 record is impressive but I hope we take care of business in the conference and bring home the Big West title.
  • GoAgsSB
    The Big West is tough. Fullerton, Hawaii and Long Beach treat softball a little differently that the other schools in the conference and the rest are trying to catch up.
  • GoAgsSB
    Its an interesting conversation to have though considering last year at this time the program had never had a winning season in Division I
  • PortlandAggie
    Up to 34 wins with about 8 or 9 games left. Would be amazing to see 40 wins
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think they have a good chance at getting to 40 wins. They just swept a 3 game series this weekend at Riverside and are now in second place a game and a half behind Fullerton with a 3 game home series with the Titans coming up beginning on April 27th.
  • GoAgsSB
    BIG series this weekend at La Rue Field. First place Cal State Fullerton comes to town......
  • 69aggie
    Brooke wins two! Kibby one,
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies improve to 35-8 with a 9-4 win over Pacific today. The Ags will take a 6 game winning streak into the huge 3 game series with Fullerton at home this weekend.
  • 72Aggie
    I will admit to my ignorance here, an easy enough thing to do...and I don't want to jinx anything, but are there prospects for post season play?
  • DrMike
    Split with Fullerton today. Lost 9-1 behind 6 unearned runs vs Yanez in first game, won 2-1 in 9 in 2nd game. Behind by two games do tomorrow is crucial
  • GoAgsSB
    Fullerton's lead going into tomorrow is 1 game. Tomorrow is very crucial. A win for the Ags and they are tied and hold the tie breaker. Game one looked like the ladies were nervous playing in that environment but game two was an absolute battle. A 2-1 game that had a lot of great defensive plays to keep it that way.
  • DrMike
    thanks for the correction; I must have got the records after the first game. Big game today. Quite a turnaround for the program the past couple of years!
  • 69aggie
    Aggies drop 2 of 3 to Titans. 3 errors behind Brooke. Can’t do that and win against first place team at home.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yanez was 23-3 on the season before the Ags dropped this series to the frontrunners and lost 2 straight. The Aggies need some help now if they are going to have a chance to win the title.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies slim chances for winning or sharing the Big West Title took a big hit today as Long Beach swept the Ags 3-2 and 10-0 (5 inning mercy rule). The games were televised on ESPN.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies are now tied for 3rd place in the Big West Conference with Long Beach 4 games behind first place Fullerton and 2 games behind 2nd place Hawai'i. The Ags have now lost 4 straight games entering today's game at Long Beach at 2 pm.
  • 72Aggie
    ....with only 4 games to go, including three on the road, er, over the sea, at second place Hawai'i.
  • 69aggie
    Aggies halt skid and stop the Beach 4-1.
  • 72Aggie
    With Fullerton's victory the Ags are eliminated from any conference title, but they trail second place Hawai'i by two games with a three game stand at Hawai'i this weekend. A sweep would put the Ags in second, two wins would put them in a second place tie. Tall order in any event, but this has been a good year for the softball team!

Go Ags!

PS Edit: Obviously my math failed me and I only counted on my fingers, not my toes. No way the Ags and Wahine were going to tie for second place. With the split on Thursday the Ags remain two games behind Hawai'i with one to go. I THINK that with a win the Ags lock up third, but what do I know?

PPS: They locked up a tie for third, pending the results of Long Beach's game against CSUN on Saturday. A Long Beach loss would help the Aggie's cause.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!