• AggieFinn
    https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/sports-facilities-last-piece-of-uc-davis-athletic-puzzle/

17UCDfield1W-768x513.jpg

* UCDavis Health and athletics — Say goodbye to the name “Aggie Stadium” for football come July 1. New signage is slated and the practice field is about to break ground.

“We’re working with a number of folks from UCDavis Health … to determine what the best, mutual fit will be for in-stadium signage and other types of recognition of our naming-rights partnership,” Blue told The Enterprise.

“The project itself (as it relates to the practice field) is in its final stage of design. There are just some things that need to be finalized and the ground will break in the next few months. The project should move along from there.”
  • AggieFinn
    A little bit of a sniffle for me, some great seasons tailgating out on the grass there, but we move on and up with the new facility. Very exciting.

I remember launching bottle rockets for Fluid Dynamics on the lawn that is now the ARC, and shooting hoops where Segundo Dining Commons is now across from the ARC...little by little, the old memories are built over, and new memories are made. ha ha
  • 69aggie
    AF, so true. Old memories. I was one of the very many students who lived at Orchard Park in the late 60s early seventies. As a vet, my wife and I got by on $175 a month on the GI bill (with some UCD help). I cannot tell you how many cheese casaroles we had for dinner in our small Orchard Park apartment and sometimes shared with our neighbors. No one had any money. No one went out to eat much less to a bar. Playing catch with a football was our fun. Orchard Park is now history- a place of cleared land and I almost cried when I saw it a few months ago. My time there is as seared into my memory as my time in the Army. I loved the place and it was a great experience living there. Yes, a small monument would be very nice.
  • movielover
    What about the old watering holes!!??

What was the name of the old place that was gone by the 80s, the place near the train depot? Was it formerly housed in the brick building with the mural on it next to ACE Hardware, supposed to save the mural but someone goofed. All razed now.

The Grad soon to be gone, too.
  • AggieFinn

So it's official, the Grad is just going to be gone?...or will they relocate?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I know the place you are asking about but, for the life of me, I can't remember then either!
  • 69aggie
    I think the place you are talking about is Larry Blakes. It was an iconic old place with sawdust floors, great burgers and beer. It was right across from the railroad tracks at the curve. There is a hotel there now. My wife’s best friend worked there an d she would come home with bruises of her backside from the advances of the owners pinches and pats. Funny then. Not now. He was not a real good guy. I think he had/has a similar place in Berkeley. If not that then maybe “Mr. B’s”?
    What is the basis for the news that the Grad will close? I know the Mall wants to redevelop the site, but to close the Grad, that would be heresy. I would expect students would activively oppose this.
  • fugawe09
    The proposed plan would bulldoze the U-Mall property entirely except for Trader Joe’s and Arco, to be replaced by a 7 story complex with apartments, retail/dining and a parking structure. If all comes to fruition, it’s possible the Grad could lease a space in the new complex but the renderings look more yuppie upscale so I’m betting the rent per square foot ain’t gonna be what it is today. Maybe the Grad moves to a new location? Lots of open real estate downtown and at Davis Commons. Doubt real estate developers or city council care if students support or oppose this.

https://cityofdavis.org/city-hall/community-development-and-sustainability/development-projects/university-mall-redevelopment
  • 69aggie
    The Grad at the old Whole Foods site? Make it happen!
  • OC Aggie
    Somewhere...anywhere...The Grad's gotta be there.
  • DrMike
    Larry Blake’s was where the Hallmark now sits
  • Russ Bowlus
    Hallmark soon to be a Hilton Garden Inn, for those who want to keep track.
  • AggieFinn
    7 stories in Davis?
  • movielover
    Larry Blake's different, wasn't it downstairs? The place I heard about was next to the small parking lot, and then the lumber store? I wonder if Fluffys Donuts will also move.

City / students pinched for housing, supposedly under 1% vacancy. Prime real estate, I hope they do it well, don't go too big. Limit parking, push biking!

New 4 or 5 story hotel also going up near Covell / far East Davis.
  • DrMike
    Larry Blake’s was two stories. Brewhouse was upstairs, a little bit scale bar and restaurant. Downstairs was the Rathskeller, with sawdust on the floor. Burgers were their big thing. Roommate was a bartender downstairs before promoting upstairs
  • 69aggie
    DrMike, did Larry ever pinch your roommates butt? Great burgers and salads, but a really bad bad guy in terms of sexual predation on his workers. Is the Berkeley place still there?
  • DrMike
    Berkeley Blake’s closed about 7 years ago
  • fugawe09
    7 stories in the back butting up to Sycamore Lane Apartments, more like 3 along the Russell frontage. 894 beds plus 150,000 SF retail/restaurants. Only 694 parking spaces total, so have fun with that.

Davis seriously needs more reasonably priced housing. I’d assume this will be luxury pricing but hopefully helps take the upward pressure off the prices of dumps elsewhere in town. Plenty of slumlords getting top dollar because supply and demand are out of whack.
  • movielover
    A couple of new developments already approved, and new plans for West Village? Shocked at the prices listed for West Village - greed, poor negotiating, costly LEED energy systems?

A new $250M, 770 unit develop.ent approved bh voters on land between Highway 80 and RR, near Mrak. Some units set aside ad low income. Design seems boring. Tandem development.

Sac Bee: "By a 3-2 margin, Davis voters gave the go-ahead on Tuesday for developers to move forward with a 47-acre apartment project in an empty field near Interstate 80, which would provide 2,200 beds to UC Davis students and help ease the city's housing squeeze."

"Yes" votes for Measure J, also known as the Nishi Gateway Project, led 59.8 percent to 40.2 percent with 100 percent of precincts reporting...."
  • AggieFinn
    Looks like Bothman got it. A fence around the site is all there us thus far. They put that up about 10 days ago.

461zggttd31g0beu.jpg
  • 69aggie
    I think that Blue is correct in stating that because of all the different people who will be involved in this building it has to be perfectly planned. I am a bit confused as to how much of the UC Davis sports medicine practice is coming to this location. I know it has multiple locations in Davis and in Sac as I have sadly been there but always grateful for the result. So you have the Aggie athletes there, the public there for treatment, the big gym for many to use, and the study area. Thats a lot of divergent interests for one building. Yes, I say take the time to do this right.
  • movielover
    Anything else? Coaches offices? Classroom?
  • AggieFinn
    Survey showed up today, my guess is they're taking full advantage of the summer window and will begin grading and making a mess come the second week of June.
  • Zander
    I assumed student-athlete tutoring would be there, but actually I'm not sure how convenient that is compared to having it on campus or closer to the first-year housing.

I'm unconvinced at how many team offices would go in there. Team space took up two and a half floors at the somewhat comparable SDSU athletics center if I remember right -- that's a lot of real estate. Seems to me that football and lacross make a lot of sense at that location -- baseball, softball, and field hockey probably as well -- but I can't see how it would really add value to any of the sports that play on different parts of campus, aside from being close to the weights.
  • DrMike
    looks like they broke ground.
    Attachment
    Unknown-10 (84K)
  • BlueGoldAg
    I wonder what kind of timeline we are looking at?
  • AggieFinn
    Bothman is moving quickly, a lot of earthwork and underground progress made in about a month.
  • movielover
    Better drainage than Toomey circa 1980 - 82?
  • Zander
    I read in a recent UC Davis magazine, I think, that the field will be done this fall. Makes sense, there are already locker rooms nearby and it's relatively simple compared to the building.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Yep, that makes sense - minor grading, drainage (especially the perimeter), and grass.

Do they still have some fundraising for the building itself? I know they would not have announced it if they weren’t really close.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!