• movielover
    Prospector Pete was seen as insensitive to indigenous peoples.

Sharks were chosen over Stingrays and GoBeach. LBSU also has a top shark lab.

49ers may stay for some related groups.
  • 72Aggie
    Probably a better name than "The 49ers." Who nicknames their mascot after the year the school was founded? Particularly given the history (good or bad) of the California gold rush, which had nothing to do with Long Beach or Southern California.

Will the baseball team still call itself the Dirt Bags?
  • zythe
    On another note - I want our double font logo to die
  • Bige70
    Here here @zythe. I can live with sharks. But let's be real - any European-based mascot is going to be insensitive to indigenous peoples. Pioneers. Cowboys. I don't think anyone is being intentionally insensitive.
  • zythe

No; this one -

u8aukjf7j0hekph6.png
  • Bige70
    Ugh. That hurts the eyes....
  • movielover
    I like these logos that are close to ours. Not sure about the squiggles under UCSB.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Y2HShCikXkijdeQE6

https://images.app.goo.gl/q8ZhVjuMBR6mApEk6

https://images.app.goo.gl/6TZidaH9s5mu1uAq9

Big70 - font too thick?

Do you folks like the blocky Invader logo?
  • Bige70
    Cal and UCLA are classic, but we don’t want to mimic. Santa Barbara’s is pretty good also. If by “blocky invader” you mean the slanty font on the football jerseys, then yes, I like that and prefer to the dopey two-font logo. This ain’t intramurals.
  • movielover
    We're part of the same system, sing similar songs, similar colors, I don't see a problem with a nod to them. Less blocky.
  • zythe
    Is there any way the double font logo can go away? It does really bug me.
  • DrMike
    Am i the only one that doesn't like the 'lemon' CA logo? just doesn't do anything for me, and a little too 'insider' (i get odd looks when i wear my shirt).
  • zythe
    I loooooove the comet tail logo.
  • Bige70
    @DrMike you are certainly the smartest man on this board, but I have to disagree with you. I love the lemon/comet tail CA logo. It's unique (ish) and has a real legacy on campus. The two-font logo screams bush league.
  • DrMike
    So, it is just me! I’ve also heard it’s a good logo for marketing. Sizes up and down really well, whereas the gunrock doesn’t look good at smaller sizes. Back in my day, baseball used the CA but I guess our ‘logo’ was the script Davis.
  • movielover
    I heard rumors Soch came up with that, based on the UCLA helmets. True?
  • Bige70
    The script Davis is also boss.
  • fugawe09
    Meh, I’m a block CA person. Comet is ok, but I was never into baseball. The 2 font word mark is maybe starting to feel dated, the Davis being too bold comparatively. But it’s taken 20+ years to standardize campus signage. With the infrequency of refurbs it would take another 20 to change it!
  • zythe
    Block CA is really nice too. I just hate the double font logo.
  • 72Aggie
    I don't flat out hate the double font, but it looks like something under construction, just waiting for a graphic artist, or some university committee, to decide what to do to complete the block "Davis." Why not just continue the UC letters in the same font. (It would be copying the UCSB logo above, but you could ag-ify it by adding a stem of wheat underneath it, like the current Milwaukee Brewers logo.)

I am neutral on the "invader" font. Looks like someone took a nail clipper to the upper left corners of most of the letters.

I like the lemon, or comet, or Cleveland Indigenous Persons "CA."

I don't have a problem with the horsehead logo that the University launched with such hooplah a few years ago other than it is too busy. As Dr. Mike noted, it does not shrink well. Too much going on to put on shirt sleeves or ball caps.
  • 69aggie
    72 it does look like the horse head logo is being phased out in favor of the lemon logo which I do very much prefer. Hard to find the horse head anymore anywhere, but maybe on some old unis still.
  • 72Aggie
    Not a fan of the Slack State font:

http://www.hornetsports.com/landing/index
  • zythe
    It looks like some high school kid that just got a hold of Microsoft Paint did it on the fly...
  • 72Aggie
    I also don't get the "S" logo that Slack has adopted. What are those little triangles to the side of the "S"? Is that some kind of martial arts weapon? Something out of a Tolkien book or "Game of Thrones"? Speaking of Tolkien, it sort of reminds me of the illustrations of the dragon in "The Hobbit" - large reptile with very small wings.

But I digress.
  • Zander
    I don't flat out hate the double font, but it looks like something under construction, just waiting for a graphic artist, or some university committee, to decide what to do to complete the block "Davis." Why not just continue the UC letters in the same font. (It would be copying the UCSB logo above, but you could ag-ify it by adding a stem of wheat underneath it, like the current Milwaukee Brewers logo.)

I am neutral on the "invader" font. Looks like someone took a nail clipper to the upper left corners of most of the letters.

I like the lemon, or comet, or Cleveland Indigenous Persons "CA."

I don't have a problem with the horsehead logo that the University launched with such hooplah a few years ago other than it is too busy. As Dr. Mike noted, it does not shrink well. Too much going on to put on shirt sleeves or ball caps.

These pretty much echo my sentiments, aside from that I'm even more lukewarm rather than negative on the double font logo. It's boring, but I think that's why they like it; very adaptable for signage and as part of department logos. I think anything with script or italics would look pretty out of place in some of the mundane situations in which the double font wordmark is currently used.

I like the horsehead, but I totally agree that it's just not feasible when it's small or from a distance. The lemon serves that purpose well enough.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment