• 69aggie
    I know this has been previously reported. The Graduate will be closed for the demolition of University Mall sometime this year. The question is will it permanently be closed? I and I know many others are intensely interested in the future of the Grad. I Just think we need a link started to keep this development in full view. Any news?
  • DrMike
    Article from Aggie with a link within it to the redevelopment plan description

https://theaggie.org/2018/11/20/brixmor-properties-proposes-new-plans-for-university-mall/

The whole Russell corridor is going to look much different. Sounds like more student housing on that side of Russell, down the way
  • fugawe09
    Up until a few months ago the wife of the owner of the Grad was on city council, so I doubt they’re getting screwed over.
  • Zander
    I want to believe that everything will work out but I'm skeptical that the new UMall will better serve the customers that currently frequent it.

The Grad is the highlight but the donut shop also has a fair amount of history, and Ohana Hawaiian BBQ and Old Teahouse both have a dedicated customer base. I can't see any of the "bang-for-the-buck" food places surviving with the same business model in what appears to be a luxury development.
  • 69aggie
    One of our more local guys could go in and ask the person behind the bar what’s going on? They would probably know given their jobs on the line.
  • DrMike
    i sat at the basketball game last week with Sam Young (football guru, former grad bartender). He said he eats lunch there almost daily and that he had heard its to be torn down in 2 years. He didn't say anything about what the future might be after the teardown/rebuild.
  • movielover
    I believe they are divorced. FYI.

Student body has changed, but I sure hope it stays around, even if 25% smaller. I think the owner owns 1-2 other restaurants, incl a place near the train depot called The House?
  • Russ Bowlus
    "Our House," next to Village Pizza. Eaten there a couple times, enjoyed the food.
  • agalum
    The three biggies in real estate, location location location. I assume the Grad is in leased space at the moment. I don't see anyway they could build something in Davis, especially close to campus, and balance the budget. If they relocate into leased space, my hunch is that they will need to downsize, which means loose part of their business model. My guess is once they are out of the U mall, that's the end.
  • 72Aggie
    Out of the mall and out of Davis, like Nation's Giant Hamburger.

Didn't the Grad try to run a place just across the river from Sac State many, many years ago? As I recall is was at the eastern end of the Baby Golden Gate pedestrian bridge in Campus Commons...a residential condominium community...combine that with a commuter campus and it was a long shot at best.
  • DrMike
    the owner is apparently looking at other spaces, probably smaller. i'm not sure how full the place gets on their various dance nights, so not sure how big they need to be. seems like a space that's about the size of the current space up to the big screen (drop the pool table space) might be sufficient?
  • 69aggie
    I have posted before why not break up the Whole Foods space into some smaller units? Or use the Gap space that is leaving? Joel Friedman is a tireless worker for his projects there and he is a UC Davis supporter. He would get it done. But I know a divorce can really screw up a good business like the Grad.
  • agalum

The dance nights, especially the line dancing, is very popular from what ive heard. If the owner is shopping for other space, i hope it works out. He has the premiere site now. The chemistry with close proximity to campus and visibility will be hard to duplicate IMO.
  • 69aggie
    I have heard that Bob Dunning is on this. Good news!
  • movielover
    70% of the space would still be great.

Radical idea. On campus?!!

We lost the Pub when it moved towards Mrak.
  • movielover
    Oh no, the memories! Tough business.
  • 69aggie
    The divorce? The lease? Can’t be that they weren’t making money. Is there any hope someone else could take it over. So sad. Bob D. Never got on this. Bet he will new.
  • AggieFinn
    It's being sold to put in a medium rise building for apartments/student housing?
  • CA Forever
    From what I've heard they were losing money and with the new development coming in they just decided to not deal with the hassle of opening again. Not sure of the accuracy on that statement, just what I've heard from folks in Davis.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    yeah I’ve also heard that it’s been years since they made any profits. Going to miss the old place. Lots of good memories.
  • 69aggie
    The only person who could find out why this actually happened is Bob Dunning and he seems not to be real interested. Actually, the lease could be why they were not making money and maybe was a way the present ownership could force them out. If so, very bad PR for the ownership people. Also, didn’t they have another place in Chico? Or am I confusing them with someone else. In any case, this is a very bad development for Davis and the student population. “The Grad” was an only in Davis type institution. I dearly hope someone will step up with a replacement; but the location was such a major part of its popularity and I guess that’s just gone at this point. Very sad indeed.
  • AggieFinn
    There's always Plainfield Station.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Oh, man, I have so many memories of good times at The Grad I don't know where I'd start. My friends and I spent hours there having a sandwich and a beer while dropping way too many quarters in the arcade games: Space Invaders, Centipede, Donkey Kong and Tron to name a few. Sad to see it go...
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Graduate in Chico closed permanently in 2015. An article from the Chico Enterprise-Record says the company had other Graduate bars in San Luis Obispo and Stockton but didn't mention Davis. You would think the Davis Grad was related as well...??

https://www.chicoer.com/2015/12/14/the-graduate-restaurant-closed/
  • 72Aggie
    Lots of good memories, which is something considering that on at least one occasion I left with significant memory impairment.
  • movielover
    Dollar a pitcher night tough to beat.

My understanding is that all leases are expiring with the new large apartment development planned. I've heard rumors the monthly lease was over $25,000 a month. Tough business, changing student demographic. I went after a big basketball game, a home loss, and the place was empty. Same owner had at least one more establishment downtown. Is it Home?
  • AggieFinn
    The neat thing about the Grad was that it was such a Davis staple, roughly 4 decades of Aggies know the place...and when you said, "Let's just meet at the Grad" everybody knew what you meant...no matter what age.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I loved the versatility of the Grad. When I was in school, 8 for 1 Friday night was a staple. When we moved back to town, the Grad hosted a lot of little league/soccer/volleyball/softball get togethers. Than as the kids grew up, we'd always go to the Grad for big Aggie games, either pre-game or to watch away games. The kids got a little emotional when I told them it was closing. Fortunately, they are both back in town for a few weeks so I'm sure we'll have one last hurrah.
  • zythe
    I heard that they’ll open a new bar called “The Forever in Debt Grad”...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!