• abridge
    So what's the deal? The team didn't live up to expectations so they don't deserve to have a dinner and get together with supporters? This would have been my last chance to say goodbye to Garrison and others but NOPE can't do it. Who even thought the idea of having a get together on the FRIDAY OF GRADUATION WEEK was a good idea?

Frankly I'm pissed. I think lots of people should be.
  • movielover
    So no banquet, or a late banquet?
  • 69aggie
    UC Berkeleys Woman’s head BB coach, Lindsay Gottlieb, was just hired by the Cleveland Cavs. First woman to be an assistant coach in the NBA. This is great, but I am now extremely nervous with a vacancy like that so close our WBB program.
  • abridge
    Well, they're talking about something late summer/early autumn to welcome the new players. I guess since the team didn't go to the NCAA it was a "screw you".
  • abridge
    I saw this and, yep, I'm nervous too. Berkeley is close and there are a lot more $$$ in the Pac 12 than here, maybe a factor of 2 or 3 at least in pay. I think Jen would have to seriously consider applying for the position.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    That's a really strange development (MBB not having a banquet). I would hope that it wasn't done because of a lack of on-court success last year. These seniors have given it all for this program and deserve to be congratulated by the fans/supporters, regardless of last years record.

As for the Berkeley WBB job, that might be too good to pass up. I'd love to think that Jen and her family are lifetime Aggies, but as you said, it'll be a lot more $$$ and still close to home. But, I was nervous when Simpson retired and that turned out well. so if (or when) we lose Jen, hopefully they have next great Aggie coach in waiting.
  • movielover
    Big pressure, big risk, can she take her husband? In and gone in 2 years not uncommon. Why Foster stayed.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Jen was given a 6 year extension about a year ago. I know she's an Aggie through and through so we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that she stays put. WBB has a lot going for it right now: several years in a row of outstanding success, great recruiting that keeps getting better each season and a very nice fan base that is expanding.

Gross loves the Davis model of athletics that truly puts the student first. I'm not sure that Cal does the same so we probably recruit very different athletes. In addition, Jen's husband is on her staff and that's a huge perk for her.
  • zythe
    I don’t think we’ll be in our current conference much longer...
  • BlueGoldAg
    What's your thinking?
  • 69aggie
    Cal friend’s comment on this development: “Cal hires a Davis Coach? Give me a frig- - - break.” ; he later adds: “no. Never. They are way too petty and dumb to do something smart like that. Remember back in the day when Stanford actually considered hiring Jim Sochor as their new football coach? The alumni had a fit (led by John Brodie) said Jim was not “Stanford material.” Be forever grateful for unasked for stupidity that actually aids you.
  • Zander
    Maybe Zythe has something else in mind but I'm assuming it's the possibility that football will eventually end up in the Mountain West. If so, I'm not sure how the other sports staying in the BWC would work -- I always though Hawaii was only in the BWC because their travel situation is uniquely unworkable for anywhere else. NCAA might want us to keep as many revenue sports in the same conference as possible
  • movielover
    Elway went hardcore for the Stanford job. Big West a better academic and institutional match.

I believe Jim Les' first couple years here he had no banquet. The pattern seems an off year, no banquet.

So Goode, TJ Shorts, AJ John, Schneider and Russell don't get acknowledgement because Coach Les is pouting?
  • 69aggie
    More on the Leslie Gottlieb- Cal WBB coach situation. Although she was mostly a well liked and admired coach, many Cal WBB fans are not that unhappy that she is leaving. She was a very highly paid coach of a non-revenue sport (maybe highest in the PAC-12?) and did very well in her first years at Cal, but in the second half of her tenure at Cal she was only 56-52 and all along had what was thought to be among the most highly talented and athletic teams in the PAC-12. Yes, the Cal job would be attractive to anyone, but it would be a tough job. Already there are some decommits and transfers out. As for the salary question, one Cal fan said it best Cal cannot pay it (Gottlieb’s salary) to the new coach because “we are broke!” Thats for another story, but it is true Cal’s entire athletic program is in big financial trouble and will effect the recruiting process.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!