• AggieFinn
    That's nice we get to pregame on the Diamond. Thanks to Cal for allowing that to take place.

I'll be doing the tailgate and game ticket, any East Bay folk want to get a travel party together? Parking in Berkeley is horrible, will likely have to BART or something.
  • agalum

I doubt I will do the bus. For those familiar with the most efficient methods of getting in and out of Cal, any suggestions? Drive to Richmond and take BART? I see Amtrak has an option for $40 round trip from Davis as well.
  • SharkBait
    BART is the best. If you want to drive, you can park at Berkeley High School for a modest fee. I think they charge for parking as a fundraiser for the school. It's about a block further from the BART station. I think there are some public parking lots closer to the stadium, but they charge a hefty game-day parking rate.
  • MTBAggie
    Maybe I've been lucky, but I've found street parking for a few events at Cal. I take a left off of Piedmont a few blocks before the stadium. But maybe that was during the summer and an entirely different situation.

https://www.cityofberkeley.info/Public_Works/Transportation/Parking_AreaImap.aspx
  • DrMike
    $45 for the tailgate (discount rate!) is a bit high. I know CAAA has a pay to get a spot on campus, but.....
  • agalum

Agreed. And the game tickets MUST be bought as a package deal with the tailgate pass, $80 each. At that price i think they will be shooting themselves in the foot.
  • DrMike
    I think the Stanford tailgate last year was a similar price but since game tickets were part of season tickets you didn’t notice it. You can buy tickets direct from cal. We might do that. Lunch at the facility club then wander over to tailgate to hobnob
  • movielover
    Is their facility or faculty club? Is it good or historic?
  • Zander
    checked the Cal website and it looks like the cheapest adult ticket anyway is $36 or so. Basically tailgate + ticket is a wash either way for CAAA/TA members, but in order to sit in the Davis section you have to get both. Anybody going to the tailgate will get a ticket anyway so I can kind of see why they did it this way
  • movielover
    Kal recently had a promo, selling tickets for $16 or so for 48 hours.
  • SharkBait
    Anyone know what section is the Davis section? Is it around P? I saw the $16 promo. That was for Gold Zone tickets, which is the back of the endzone.
  • Fan4Life
    I talked to the Cal box office a couple days ago. I was told that the visitor sections are P, O, and OO. They are $35 plus $4 each ticket service charge. The top half of these sections are not available. I am wondering if these were purchased as a block by UCD Athletics, will be sold by the UCD box office at some point, or are generally not available unless the bottom fills up.
  • AggieFinn
    NEXT WEEK IS AUGUST
  • movielover
    Any surprises from freshmen or redshirt freshmen? I briefly talked to 2 last year after the Stanford game, and they were LOADED FOR BEAR!!
  • AggieFinn
    Great players rise, always do. Doesn't matter what class, if you come to play with all you've got you'll make your mark.
  • movielover
    If our lines can compete, it could be interesting.

Cal's D line on paper - not quite as good as the Cardinal last year? Our O line one year better, Parks a stud. Same for our D line. We lose Moe"s impact, but we get DE De'Andre Morgan back ... at 280#s.
  • 69aggie
    So strategy versus the bears. They are very big, but slow. I’m no coach, but I would like to see some of our speed come out to force the bears to run and dodge; and to try and wear out the heavy guys. Then run the FB! Again I’m no coach, but we have speed as a real asset.
  • movielover
    Enough speed to compete with a Pac-12 team?

I was reading some posts on one of their boards, a Bear alum was claiming their run defense wasn't so impressive. He stated they dodged a few top rushers (opponents) which made their D stats look better? I believe this alum was saying a good strategy against the Bears was to establish the run. They may have graduated 1 lineman and LB on a stout defense.
  • 69aggie
    Movie, good point. We are huge underdogs in this game. Hawk will put something together I think that could make this game a close one. Win? Don’t know. But back on the speed thing. Yes, we do have some pac-12 speed on this team, but might be a bit smaller. It will be a very interesting game to see.
  • movielover
    We have to have better odds than Stanford. But no Doss.
  • AggieFinn
    Going to take a team effort...establish that early...Doss was a great talent, but that's all over now for UC Davis Football. Blocking, Checks, Good Routes, Communication, Accuracy, Solid Tackling, Anticipation....it all has to boil down to the fundamentals...with a little mental. I'm excited to see the scheme they dial up in Berkeley -- Give the Aggies an entire off-season of film, they'll come up with something.

The Cal QB situation will be key....it's sort of like we're the guinea pig for their QB battle. Many opportunities for the young successors at Cal, but will they press and make mistakes? Gotta cover and challenge. Playing football on this kind of UP level is 75% motivation/attitude, the other 25% is preparedness.
  • agalum

Finn, you might want to add talent in that equation :).
  • AggieFinn

Oh, let's go there!

• AggieFinn
    Aggies did not make the list.

Athlon Sports: FCS Upset Watch
  • movielover
    Good. I prefer Sochor's low-key stealth approach ... juicing the San Jose State HC is one thing... the Bears totally different.

Edit. Remember our UOP upset just after they had a big DI win. Soch was low key at a Stockton banquet.
  • 69aggie
    I must agree with movie on this. Let’s just tone it down a bit. Go into the game very respectful and thankful for the opportunity to play the great bears.. . . . And then leave all our efforts on the field. I do think the Aggies will makes us all very proud no matter what.
  • AggieFinn
    I remember the last time at Cal we got whacked. Also, I think Tedford went for it on 4th down, or went for 2 or something late in the game when they were up 48-3
  • DrMike
    as i recall, they were promoting some program where some sponsor donated money to a charity for every FG kicked that season. i guess charity doesn't start on the home field (against a FCS team!)
  • movielover
    We started a true freshman at QB when Denham started his ministry.

We won't have that issue this time, but the Bears have one starting LB who is 270#s?
  • NCagalum

A very suspect list. NC A&T has no chance against Duke. Only got this attention from beating a very, very bad East Carolina team last year.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!