• CA Forever
    Good move for Big Sky football. North Dakota, location wise, was a clear outlier in the conference.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Grand Forks is way too far. A good move for them and perhaps a better move for the Big Sky (and us). I'm probably moving to Fargo, ND so I'd miss our Ags playing up in Grand Forks, but it is better for our budget and athletes to avoid playing so far from home.
  • movielover
    What are you moving to Fargo for, energy job?
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Staying out here for now. There was a snowstorm that kept me on the coast, but it works out for some Aggie road games. I think down the road, the idea that UND was even in the Big Sky will seem so outlandish. Currently, who is the closest B.Sky member to them? N. Colorado?
  • Russ Bowlus
    It made a little more sense before South Dakota decided to go to the Missouri Valley conference instead of moving to the Big Sky with UND, SLO, and UCD.
  • 72Aggie
    As the article suggests, some of UND's moves have been influenced by a tiff between UND and NDSU. As I recall, UND was not happy when NDSU moved to D-1....seems a little silly because UND has been a D-1 hockey power for years.

So with the two North Dakota schools resuming regular play in football, will they re-tool the rivalry trophy? It has been some variation on the nickel, which made sense when the teams were the Bison and the Fighting Indigenous Americans...but in these enlightened times, not so much.

On a similar subject, there is chatter on the relatively quiet Slack State boards wondering why they aren't trying to move to the Big West, like UCD and CP-SLO. http://www.bigskyfans.com/hornets/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2613
  • DrMike
    it would be a good move for Sac to get the Big Sky/Big West combo package. especially if we could get rid of Hawaii. Sac would be the NoCal partner (with us) for basketball roadtrips, like UOP use to be. much better league for them for all their olympics sports.
  • 72Aggie
    Another poster on that same the Slack site thread claims that "the BWC is set to add UCSD this spring and the WAC just added Cal Baptist (CBU) who will start their D1 transition with the WAC in 18-19..."
  • SochorField
    UCSD in the BWC?

Another nice roadie for the kids....

UCSD has a pretty substantial gym. But they suffer from the same affliction as we do: seats too far from the court.
    RIMAC Arena seats 5,000
    wldwfdd7n7m1r3i3.jpg
  • BlueGoldAg
    Adding UCSD to the Big West has been widely suspected for long time but I think it is still speculation at this point.
  • 72Aggie
    My googling led to the same conclusion. All in the wishlist stage for Triton fans.

Now if the Big West accepted Slack and UCSD, but kept Hawai'i maybe we could have UCSD and Hawai'i as travel partners. A weekend in San Diego and Honolulu. Sounds great, but there wouldn't be anytime to enjoy either place.

And what's with the WAC? They have become the foster home of athletic conferences. Home to anyone in need of a league.
  • Toke69
    I like the idea of the Hornies being in the Big West, but living in Hawaii, I love being able to root for the Ags once a year. I don't think the league can give Hawaii the boot in any case. Hawaii will have to want to leave and they might if they can join the WCC, which is very doubtful.
  • aggie6thman
    Hawaii is the biggest name in the conference. I'd like to see the Big West go out of state and grab someone. UCSD doesn't do it for me.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Keep Hawaii. Don't boot em. They bring lots of fan support and attention to our conference on the islands.

But back to FB, I'd love to see Sac in the BW, but I don't think the BS would let them leave.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!