• AggieFinn
    Coming Home...

• Ex-Cal Fan
    I am coming to my first Aggie home football game next weekend. Do I have to buy tickets in advance or do you think I can buy them at the stadium?
  • Zander
    I would only expect sellouts to occur later in the season, either for Cal Poly, homecoming, or playoffs specifically. I see there's plenty of seats still available so you should be fine buying at the gate.

Get west side tickets if you can. No point looking into the setting sun if you don't have to
  • BlueGoldAg
    Welcome to the AST forum. It's also easy to buy tickets online too. There are currently plenty of tickets available for the Lehigh game. You can buy season tickets and mini-packs as well. And, as Zander mentioned, get seats on the west side of the stadium to avoid the sun as best as possible.

Link: https://ev3.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=FB&linkID=twucd&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=
  • DrMike
    42 year grudge match! Let’s get this thing rolling this week cuz it gets really hard after that
  • lucche
    Yes, I remember them Lehigh cheers doling push ups in the endzone after TDs on OUR grass. It's time to bust them a good one and no mercy.
  • CA Forever
    Well this SHOULD be a pretty straight forward win... but I thought that USD would be a pretty straight forward win too so who knows?
  • SochorField
    I think we might find that Cal and USD were better than we thought as the year goes on........
  • NCagalum
    wow. I guess it was really that long ago. I remover that game with Bill Fleming and Ara Parseghian doing the game for ABC. I was in the Band-uh. Phil Swimly noted correctly that the line of scrimmage won it for the (then) Engineers.
  • agalum
    I think we might find that Cal and USD were better than we thought as the year goes on....SochorField

I totally agree. USD was way tougher then I expected. But as Dr. Mike pointed out, we just couldn't pull away from them which would have put them in a "must pass" situation. Once their run game got going, we just couldn't stop them with consistency. I was very disappointed in the amount of time their QB had to make his throws. We have got to do better on D to stop them at the line and pressure the QB. I can tell you right now that Barriere would have eaten us alive Saturday.
  • MTBAggie
    Any update on Bland? I took a peek at the Lehigh football forum. They seem pretty down on the team this year, and have already chalked it up to a growth year with a lot of young players on the team.
  • movielover
    Out for the year is our understanding.
  • agalum
    Looks like Lehigh is shuffling their OL around compared to what they did during the first 2 weeks.
  • movielover
    JC transfer linebacker Scharetg with 4 tackles and our lone sack, and transfer LB Cole Hansen also with 3 tackles last Saturday. We need them.

Will we get deeper into our roster this Saturday?

See some new WRs beyond Babb? TE Frosh Thorpe? Orlando Ornelas? New RBs? Facey?

Will Rodriguez or Brock Johnson get extended time at QB?

How about coveted recruits DBs Harlston or Magdalena? LB Mouisset?
  • DrMike
    we get to suit up as many as we want at home and with the new redshirt rule I’m sure we will see some new faces. I think USD took advantage of their extra men last Saturday in the heat.
  • agalum

Don't worry coach, we will be there. Go Ags!
  • agalum
    I was at this game as a third year undergrad. Here we go again boys, dont under estimate these guys.

https://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2018/08/2019-football-schedule-announces-long.html
  • howard in nyc
    Hi guys:

Name is howard, I've lurked for about four years during football season. I am moved to post not just by the return of Hawk to the program and the resurgence of the program, but by the memories of the last Lehigh - Aggies scrap. What was that, like ten, twelve years ago right? What do you mean 42 years? Impossible!

I was a local, moved to town in 1967, when I was ten. Davis High, then attended UCD for 2 1/2 years, transferred to Santa Barbara to finish up. I was a student trainer under my main man Dick Lewis, and was there for three football seasons, '74-'76. I was the skinny black kid with a big afro next to Lewis.

Drove up from SB for the Reno game and those playoff games in 77, Bethune Cookman and Lehigh. Sure was a lot more fun in the stands of Toomey rather than working with Dick, patching 'em up and getting them back on the field. Working the games was a different kind of fun.

I came to New York for grad school, and settled here, but over the decades spent plenty of time back in the valley, visiting family and occasionally for work. I gradually trailed off following the team, particularly as Sochor, Foster, and then Bobby Biggs retired. But I had met Hawk when he was playing, worked out with him and the other guys one summer I was back home for a few weeks. I'm so happy he is the man leading this return to top of the league and playoff status. Hope this becomes a new golden age.

I look forward to swaping memories with you folks who were students at that time. I'll bet at least a couple of members here I'll remember.

Lehigh - UCD, 1977. The fog game was the week before, right? My most prominent memory is right(?) cornerback Ricky Boyer getting torched twice early. I was sitting just below the press box, and defensive coordinator (and the last man to cut me from a baseball team) Phil Swimley was, as his usual, expressing his displeasure quite loudly. And I remember a couple of nice punt returns by my roommate from the previous year, Tib Belza.

Just two games we've already had plenty of excitement. And a corresponding bookend, separated by the same 42 years, Rich Martini '77 and Keelan Doss, from Aggies WR to Oakland Raiders, (at least last I checked on Doss.)

Sorry if this is too long, please let me know if there is a thread for introductions of new posters that I missed.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for writing that nostalgic post. The DII glory years were special and I think Hawk is building a new era for us that will be just as special. I too find it hard to believe how all the years got by so fast but, when I look in the mirror each morning, I get a jarring reminder that father time keeps marching on no matter what! Great post!
  • agalum

Howard, welcome back! Come on out for a game! Finn and I would be happy to have you join our tailgate! Go Ags!
  • AggieFinn
    We will be over on the east side of the stadium!
    Come And Take It!
  • DrMike
    The game prior to Lehigh was the Betune Cookman game. I was there as a high school student and don't remember fog. Lehigh was an early start (11?) and on regional TV. Old timers still joke about colorman Ara Parsighian welcoming viewers to the 'beautiful central valley'. I thought that was a foggy morning.

Tib Belza!?!? He shows up occasionally at the games!
  • BlueGoldAg
    We were in the end zone seats and I remember the football sailing into the fog on the kickoff and disappearing!
  • NCagalum
    Hi Howard and welcome! I have not heard Dick Lewis’ name in quite some time. He cracked my back once when I got some back spasms pitching. I was on the team 77and78. Most of the time I rode the bench and the only medical danger was choking on a sub sandwich between double header games from the local sub shop (forgot the name). Rich Martini was on the baseball team. Saw the games you referred to as a member of the Band-uh. Those were the days when we expected to win most every game in football and as you say good to see things turning around.
  • eastbayaggie
    Does anyone have an idea of Lehigh's strengths and weaknesses? I just want a guideline on what I should watch in the next game.
  • howard in nyc
    Thanks for all the welcomes. I generally get back to Davis a few times a year, until the last five years health problems (fortunately not permanent and now resolving) have limited my travel. If I'm in town in the fall, I hit a game. But it seems, often I don't get far past the south end, always run into a fellow townie, or alum, and then another wanders by, and instead of watching football it's catch up and reminisce. Funny, just like the south endzone grandstand at Toomey was the designated old Davis High alums spot.

I'll be back soon, and will look forward to meeting you folks.

NCagalum, wait, you went from Band-uh to the team? That's uncommon. I wonder if you were aware of Dick Lewis' opinion of the Band-uh? He was not a fan; Dick was as straight laced as the come, and I had to change my ways to work for him. Had he known, he might have cracked more than your back. But he was a consummate pro, he may have known and it wouldn't effect how he treated you. I still use things he taught me about medicine and about life, all the time.

Steve Brown and Jim Bowin were on the baseball team that year, pitchers. We were close friends in high school, roommates in college, and remain close friends. Not more than a couple of weeks go by w/o me talking to them on the phone. I won't be surprised if there are lots of other people we knew in common.

Now I gotta study that 77 team picture, see how many I can name. Mikey Johnson, John Sharper and Moroski jump out of the page at first glance. And the coaches, so young!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!