• 69aggie
    Regarding Maier running the ball, how about rotating Hunter in every few possessions the way we used CJ. But Hunter can pass the ball and CJ had problems with that part of the game; and Hunter really can run the ball well.
  • Riveraggie
    Efficient as evidenced by only one punt and over 500 yards of offense
  • NCagalum
    Line is Bison-25. I think I would take that and the Ags. NDSU beat UND by 21 with A second string QB for UND. Beat Delaware by 25. I don’t see either of those teams as being as capable as UCD. A lot of uncertainty in lines of course.

By the way central Minnesota is really beautiful this time of year. Lakes and woods and ag. fields. Hardwoods starting to turn colors. Roll into Fargo tomorrow. Anyone know what hotel the team is staying at?
  • movielover
    Ditto. I've thought 3rd quarter, no time to adjust. He seemed very mobile in his limited PT, plus his time at the JC. Coaches have the advantage, they see him in practice. (We saw CJ in the spring game with accuracy problems.)

San Diego: why couldn't we stop a Patriot League team?

We beat em by 33 last year, 28 year before. NDSU beat em by 35 in the 2017 playoffs, FWIW. Hopefully, its an aberration.

The large imbalances are gone. We are fully funded (scholarships), we have a new stadium, top flight coaches, success, momentum. Let's go get it! (But no Band-uh.)
  • 69aggie
    Movie, what brought that to my mind was not really the CJ strategy (which was very iffy in my mind) but going back to the late ‘70’s early ‘80’s, when I think we were playing Poly (?) at Toomey. Our OB (Moe?) was down and we had to start a back up (Johnny____?) who could not pass really well, but could run like a deer. We won and we were big underdogs. Our running QB completely flummoxed the opposing team. We were in the North bleachers and all we saw is this guy running the other way to score- never to our end. Point is, QBs who can run really add a new dimension to the game IMHO. P.S> Maier ran some last year and he was not that bad.
  • BiZon

I have always known the opposing teams to stay at the Radisson in Downtown, may have changed but I doubt it

Lakes country and northern MN is really nice country I love my weekend motorcycle trips
  • movielover
    I think there has been a decision to protect Maier 100%, which I understand. ... I believe Biggs was platooned one year. I just wonder if we have the illusive "x" factor ... I was hoping it would be TT, may still be.

Some Bison fans boasting of their O Line athleticism.

From Bison fan met1990: "I was too young to remember those games in the 80s, but my dad always talked about them and the train engine/whistle they apparently played in the endzone at Cal Davis back in the day (maybe they still do)."
  • 69aggie
    Has there ever been a statement from the AD as to why we cannot get the steam engine back? Does anyone even care anymore except for us? So many schools have potentially dangerous activities during games: artillery firing, longhorn cattle, wolves, falcons flying, alligators, vicious bulldogs and we cant have an antique steam engine that equates with our ag history? Pathetic! WHY!!!
  • movielover
    Same reason we can't have cow bells.
  • Kerberos
    2006 NDSU @ UCD footage of the last quarter comeback by the bison that I found lurking on the Bison boards: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sMON9TWhYsI

I still remember this game like it was yesterday. We led 24-0 at the half and NDSU scores 28 points in the second half to take the lead with 6 seconds remaining in the game. They had like 4 3rd/4th down conversions of over ten yards each on that last drive. Complete heartbreaker. Was a freshman at the time still being introduced to Aggie football, feel very fortunate I got to see one year of Toomey, Jon Grant, Tony Kays...

The video is a blast from the past! I had no idea it was televised.
  • movielover
    When does the team depart?

Addition to a previous post: we also have SIZE on both lines! Go Ags!
  • BiZon
    Some Bison fans boasting of their O Line athleticism.

Yeah, and it's not without merit, our Offensive lines the past 10 years have produced several NFL starters and is has the same size and speed of a Big 10 Oline. Delaware found that out last week, their fans claimed they had an equal Oline due to their close size, but they were no where ready for the speed and agility.

Not saying Davis doesn't have it but not many Defenses have been able to hold up an entire game, glad we get to find out Tomorrow
  • DrMike
    they did have a loud train whistle that the cheerleaders fired after scores. And the Cal Poly game of the late 70’s was the Johnny Lu game - John Lucido
  • DrMike
    a physical team at home where they can suit up and use their redshirts is a huge advantage. Also helps a lot on special teams where you can use fresh, talented guys, while the traveling team uses some starters. I think we’ll score, but defense will really struggle against the run.
  • BiZon
    Absolutely your gonna score, not going to be shocked if you get a lead, or its tied into the 3rd qtr

But from mid 3rd on is where the physical aspect wears teams down, seen it many times, and the ending score is farther spread than just 10 minutes previous. Ask EWU the last 2 times, they kept it good till after half.

NDSU comes out and punches teams in the mouth, if they find a weak spot in a D they will attack it over and over until they are no longer able to
  • movielover
    EWU seems to always have a lightning guy on special teams that can drop a quick TD on a team.

Coach Tucker had a JC return guy committed go Davis when he first arrived, but he flipped and went D1A, where he rarely played.
  • lucche
    Here's another wrench we could throw at NDSU. Being in a dome makes Maier much more accurate (not having to deal with wind), and could thus make THEO GOODWIN a much more dangerous receiver against NDSU. He runs a sub 4.4 40. A play here and there would probably require a double team to prevent a home run ball. If they don't double team, I would definitely throw it long and let him run to the ball. Better an overthrown than under thrown ball. A couple of these beating the DB whether it's caught or not will force NDSU to cover him well.
  • NCagalum
    good thing dome for tomorrow. Just got into Fargo and very windy. Rain forecast tonight and into tomorrow.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm still in Newfoundland. Is there any online stream of the game?
  • NCagalum
    if you sign up for espn+ it is on that. It’s 4.95 a month and can cancel anytime.
  • HighPlainsBison
    Hey there Aggies..... First off I think that the Bison being a 25 favorite is a bit of a stretch considering the they graduated a couple of dozen players, replaced several coaches, and are starting a redshirt freshman at QB. Reading through the thread it seems like most of you are concerned with stopping the Bison running game, so here's a few stats to give you a better idea of what you're dealing with. They're gonna rotate up to five RB's, plus the QB, who through their first three games have rushed for 950 yds at 7 yrds per carry. Tre Lance has attempted 49 passes completing 39, 9 TD's, and 0 picks while asding 4 rushing TD's.
    This early season success has caught many of the Bison Nation a bit off guard and there's still the wait and see feeling until they get into conference play.
    Anyway, hoping for a close, hard fought injury free game and best of luck this year in the Big Sky. I'm a native Californian, so it's easy to cheer for the Aggies when they aren't playing NDSU.
  • agalum
    Holy smoke, if you read the thread on anygivensaturday, ie, anyndsusaturday, the Ags have no business showing up. Dunning picks the Ags by 4. After all that androgen flowing on the anysaturday site, Ags by 6! Aggie Pride! Best Veterinary School in the world anesthetizes the bison.
  • smarterray
    Let's go Aggies! Ags by 14. I don't care that my predictions are inaccurate or aren't based on reality.
  • movielover
    Get togethers for the game in Davis or the Bay Area?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think we're still very much a work in progress so I'm not sure what to expect. My gut tells me that the Bison are just too big and fast for us to handle for the entire game especially the Bison running attack. But, then, I know that Hawk will have a few wrinkles up his sleeve and he will have the Aggies ready to play their hearts out. Our offense has to stay on the field enough to give our D a blow, otherwise, our D could be gassed late in the game. There is no doubt that we are big underdogs going into the game and the Fargodome will be deafening which could present problems for us. We have to keep our poise, limit mistakes, take care of the ball and create a few breaks. We can make a game of it if we do that. Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    Woodstock is showing it
  • NCagalum
    Just met Jake Parks parents at breakfast in our hotel. Nice folks. A bunch of Bizon fans at the motel.
  • AggieFinn

Are you going up?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!