• BlueGoldAg
    Eaton just saved Hawkins from a really poor call to go for it on 4th and 2 on our own 32 yard line and turning the ball over on downs. I don't mind aggressive play calling but that was not smart at all.
  • quadshock
    Back on track
  • SloStang
    Eaton’s play was a dagger. Had he not got the defensive TD and we kick a FG or score a TD it is a one score game and I like our chances because all the momentum would have been on our side.
  • SloStang
    Congrats on the win.
  • BlueGoldAg
    No doubt about it...if Poly scores and has the momentum at that point..we may have had a different outcome. That INT by Eaton was the pivotal play of the game...
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Another team photo-less season for CP. SloStang, when and how did that tradition start?

I love beating CP, but we are like-minded institutions. There is respect and they compete for the same types of student profile. Sac State is not in our class.
  • movielover
    Troy Spencer added 53 yards at RB, 5.3 YPC. Gilliam ran for 152 yards, and another 43 receiving. Vaughn 148 yards receiving and 2 TD receptions. Maier almost 400 yds passing, zero picks.

MONSTER GAME for Freshman Nick Eaton. Seven tackles, 4 TFL, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery. King 12 tackles, Thomas w 2 interceptions.

UCD: "UC Davis also had an outstanding day offensively, totaling 588 total yards, 194 on the ground and 394 through the air, while averaging 8.3 yards per play"

We won the takeaway game 3-0, huge. Four sacks. All the areas we needed to improve, improved dramatically. Hats off to the team. Go Ags!

Up next, Southern Utah, 0-3 in the Big Sky, 1 win on the year. Then, a big game with Weber State at home (& Brewfest).
  • tokyoag
    Official attendance is 11,194. Is that a record attendance at Aggie Stadium (whoops, I meant UC Davis Health Stadium)?
  • Zander
    They said it was. It certainly felt as packed as it's ever been in my memory.

We also cleaned up the offensive penalties tremendously. Helps to be at home for that, but still. Playcalling also seemed at least ok except for that awful 4th down.
  • NCagalum
    Saw first scores but missed Poly comeback due to date with Rachmaninoff ams symphony. Sounds like Ags took foot off the pedal a bit after getting the big lead? Running game was way better and hard to tell if it was Ags or playing Poly. It looked so easy that first quarter.

Looks like Thomas still out and Crawford out too. My guess is that Poly keyed on Preece. No receptions is odd. Maybe different formations using the other 2 or 3 tight ends.
  • movielover
    I was scanning for players after the last home game, Thomas really looked to be in pain.

I don't want to jinx anything, but maybe with a less challenging game next week, more players can get healthy. Weber will be big, and Sac is the real deal, likely ranked top 20.
  • AggieFinn

All teams remaining on our schedule have the ability to beat us.
  • Riveraggie
    Great game from a lot of the young guys.
    Lance Babb II adds a new dimension as a threat after the catch. Love our wide receivers even without Kraft and Crawford.
  • CA Forever
    Fun game although frustrating that we took our foot off the gas pedal in the 3rd quarter. Never ever let your opponent get back in the game when you have a big lead. Fun watching the defense force some turnovers and really shut down a large portion of their run game. Also glad we started kicking the ball into the endzones on kickoffs. It's been incredibly frustrating watch teams get the ball at the 35 or 40 on those pooch kicks.
  • zythe
    Are we still in playoff contention?
  • Riveraggie
    I have to think we are but need to win remaining games. Eight wins should get us into the playoffs; I think that would be a sure thing. If we do that we’ll have some quality wins, and a high ranking.
  • Zander
    I think 8 is how we ensure it, 7 is the minimum. Maybe 6 is the hypothetical minimum with extreme chaos in the top 15-25, but 7 would be the baseline on our own merits.

We might have a jaw-dropping list of playoff teams on our schedule when it's all said and done (NDSU, Sac State, Montana State, Montana, Weber, San Diego). If we win 2/3 of Sac, MSU, and Weber then we still have a case to be one of the last four teams in just by SoS.
  • Zander
    There were a lot of games last year too where it felt like we just went flat for a quarter. (Or like the Montana game, where it was the whole first half). I'm glad the guys were able to shake it off and have a pretty good fourth quarter, though it helps when your defense produces a Sportscenter-worthy play out of nowhere.
  • Zander
    As I said on the FCS facebook group, I'm wondering if we'll start hearing stadium expansion talk in the next couple of years. While it's great to have a full house, I do think that UCDHS and the facilities aren't exactly built to host 11k people. I don't think we're anywhere close to needing to double the size or anything, but another 2k seats with more restrooms and concessions would be helpful
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Or, when they play a certain team, the opponent typically has the uncanny ability to beat themselves. :chin:
  • NCagalum
    Babb made some amazing moves. Fun game to watch but I am sure a bit nerve wracking early 4th quarter (I was not watching live then). Eaton has a real motor.

Announcers for 11sports were awful. Wrong names, wrong teams, wrong score differentials - guess that’s why they are where they are but there must be some good young guys out there wanting a chance. It shouldn’t be a career job with that outfit. Sort of the same feeling as when you get on a commuter plane and the pilot is 55 or 60 - you want to ask “haven’t you graduated from these things yet?”
  • movielover
    Way too soon to talk stadium expansion. Easier victories first.

1. Staff / operations at concession booths so the line isn't 30 or 40 people deep. (Saw this at the Montana game on the student side.)

2. Work with the fire marshall to possibly increase standing room only size.

Go Ags!
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Let’s also put efforts into ensuring that streaming feeds aren’t steaming piles of manure for those of us who can only make it to a game or two per season. :up:
  • SochorField
    Blow-out victory and we drop a spot in the Coaches Poll to #22.....
  • MTBAggie
    Up one spot to 23 in the Stats FCS poll.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm assuming that the drop in the Coaches Poll is due to the fact that North Dakota got blown out at Idaho State 55-20 a week after beating the Ags by 2 and also by nearly giving up a huge lead to Poly. We won the Poly game by 24 but, honestly, it did not feel that convincing to me. The upside is that we still have a lot of room for improvement and we showed we can be very explosive.
  • Riveraggie
    I suspect the poll voters don’t analyze the flow of the games, just the score.
    Bottom line is we don’t have a quality win, while other teams do. Beating Cal Poly Lehigh and San Diego doesn’t make much of a statement.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!