• movielover
    Looks like a dangerous MSU team. They rolled up approx 450 yards rushing last week while holding out 2 key players. Four RBs who can rumble.

They use 2 young QBs, one 6'5", another 6'6". Early in this clip you see a 'jump pass' to #97, a 6'6" DE they must have used as a TE at the goal line.

They also apparently used a linebacker on a special teams trick play who went 75 yards for the score.

Their listed schedule shows a 7-2 record, but they have 3 losses. Odd.

https://youtu.be/AtXewNAqiJo
  • AggieFinn
    Montana State in 2019:

Sat, Aug 31 @ Texas Tech, L 45-10
    Sat, Sep 7 vs. Southeast Missouri State, W 38-17
    Sat, Sep 14 @ Western Illinois, W 23-14
    Sat, Sep 21 vs. Norfolk State, W 56-21
    Sat, Sep 28 vs. Northern Arizona, W 49-31
    Sat, Oct 5 @ Cal Poly, W 34-28 (OT)
    Sat, Oct 12 vs. Sacramento State, L 21-34
    Sat, Oct 26 @ North Dakota, L 12-16
    Sat, Nov 2 vs. Southern Utah, W 42-7
    Sat, Nov 9 @ Northern Colorado, W 45-14

So yeah, they've won all their winnable games, won a couple on the road (do note WIU is terrible this year, overtime with Cal Poly...) Bobcats also lost in Grand Forks in a close one. Coming off a Northern Colorado win on the road, where game time temperatures were actually in the 70's.

They should be feeling good about themselves, the schedule has shaped up well, adding the likes of Western Illinois and Norfolk State really helps out.

We've played North Dakota State, Weber State AND Montana up to this point. You put that on the Bobcats' schedule and maybe they're 5-5 as well.
  • AggieFinn
    Looks like they run a Wildcat style game inside the red zone, with Andersen taking some snaps.

They are a big, strong, athletic group - what else is new in the Big Sky?

The last time these two teams met up was in Bozeman in 2016, both teams struggled all year and the Bobcats took the game 27-13, with Davis scoring all of its points in the 1st half.

I honestly think we can shred these guys, if our OL can give Jake the time.
  • agalum
    The few cats fans ive met have been cool. They love their football. When i was there hunting i saw people wearing their jerseys as far north as Great Falls, and Cabellas had a complete line of their fan gear. I bet they make a big showing Saturday. Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    They have a good record, but as has been mentioned, I think we’d be 8-2 or 7-3 with that lineup. They have offensive weapons. Our running D has been better in the second half, so we might force their QB’s to beat us. Offense was firing on all cylinders last week, but this defense is much better. Feels more winnable than it did a couple weeks ago
  • AggieFinn
    My brother in law is a Bobcat, he has no interest in football though...but to echo alum's sentiment, yes, Montana State fans are first class. They love football, love their team and turn out real well.
  • Riveraggie
    Jeff Choate is correct in saying that our big offensive games correlate with our getting the run game going.
    This is a huge game for us even if we ignore the playoff picture. Our win percentage against the traditional big sky powers hasn’t been good, we need to beat one of them this season, and Montana State is our last opportunity.
  • movielover
    Well, it sounds like we got at least 1 OL back. And rest.
  • Riveraggie

I think we may now have our best offensive linemen starting. Amoah may have earned starting role over Lamson, who didn’t start but played. Richardson was back, as was Pettek.
    We started the PSU game with two tight ends for the third straight game.
  • DrMike
    if we can force these guys to pass (a BIG IF!), we'll be in pretty good shape. from the highlights i have seen, the passing game doesn't look too impressive.
  • agalum

Based on their boards, it sounds like their RBs are all healthy. They're going to get their yards. Really tough game to prognosticate. I think this one is going to boil down to turnovers.
  • movielover
    Interesting. Our roster shows 17 seniors + Grad student Max O'Rourke, but this twitter pic shows 20 seniors.

18 players below, what other 2 players are graduating?

Roster
    DL - Doug Drakeley
    DL - Roland Ocansey
    DL - Jordan Franklin
    DL - Nick Fehrenbach
    DL - Brandon Jamison
    LB - Eric Flowers
    LB - Nas Anesi
    DB - Josh Januska
    DB - Brandyn Lee
    DB - Tiger Garcia

TE - Wes Preece
    TE - Matthew Hyman
    OL - Riley Gallant
    OL - Najid Firoozi
    OL - Will Martin
    QB - Jake Maier

K/P - Matt Blair
    K/P - Max O'Rouke

OK, OL Charles Hays from 2018 is pictured here, but not on the 2019 official foster.

Still off one.
  • MTBAggie
    Who is doing the flyover?
  • agalum

Air force, here’s an animation of it in the advertisement:
    Attachment
    5F44F055-3E87-441A-A7F2-8ECFBA2DDE76 (978K)
  • DrMike
    Last time they were here (2014) was the infamous 77-37 beat down. I expect a better showing Saturday ; oddsmakers make us a 3 point favorite
  • MTBAggie
    Take a look at the game notes. There are two guys listed that are former players, but remain on the staff. Makes me think of Keith Buckley.

@movielover, from the game notes:
    DANIEL PLUM, a team manager, former tight end and human development major from San Diego, Calif.
  • AggieOutcast
    I was at the 2014 game when Montana State pounded UC Davis. It wasn't one of the most enjoyable games I've ever attended in any sport. This is a much different team than it was five years ago. Obviously, this season has been a bumpy ride with the three straight losses, but these guys haven't given up. So let's get two more wins (and spoil the Chico State Satellite's playoff hopes in the process) to give everyone hope going into next season.
  • movielover
    Was that also when we discovered QB Ben Scott? I believe he threw 3 or 4 TDs.
  • AggieFinn

Prukop QB'd Montana State, I think he was in year 3. The following season he transferred to Oregon for his senior year and started.
  • AggieOutcast
    Yes, Ben Scott threw for four touchdowns that evening along with 379 yards. What I also remember was getting into an argument at the concession stand wanting a bottle of Pepsi (it was the year UC Davis changed its soft drink partnership) and being told all they had were the fountain version. Lesson learned. That and the 40-point loss made that night one to forget.
  • DrMike
    that game was painful BUT the MSU offense was something to behold that day. they scored every which way. very impressive.

so....as a fan, if i told you we would gain 610 yards and score 37 points, you'd be pretty happy, right? unless i told you the opponent would gain 737 yards and score 77! we did beat them at the time of possession metric!
  • AggieFinn
    For the record, in 2006 Jon Grant, Bob Biggs and staff orchestrated a 45-0 blowout of the Bobcats in Bozeman. That game is also in the history books.

Last shutout I can remember by a Davis team on the road.
  • movielover
    Didn't Biggs say he was thinking about entering politics when he stepped down? (Make Davis Great Again.)

I wonder how he could have competed with Hawkins budget?
  • DrMike
    i remember that game was televised on some cable channel. light snow falling all game. held them to under 200 yards, and turned them over 3 times. Tony Kays tore them up that day. i remember their broadcasters thinking we were rubbing it in (we scored 7 in the 4th) and that the 'bobcats wouldn't forget that'. and, apparently 8 years later they got their revenge!
  • Riveraggie
    Worth noting that the 2006 MSU team had beaten Dan Hawkins’ Colorado team 19 - 10.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!