• 72Aggie
    It's ironic, to me at least, that one of the arguments the big schools in the FBS make against a larger playoff is that more games will be harder on schools, coaches and players....and throw in the effect of an extended schedule on the scholar-athletes. Then you look at NDSU playing 16 games (and that's with an opening round bye in the playoffs) and of course the lower divisions, D-II, D-III and the NAIA, have larger playoffs, yet as you 'descend' down those divisions there is less and less likelihood that the athletes will ever extend their playing careers beyond their last college game.

And a begrudging congratulations to the Bison. They set the standard in D-II and now in D-1/FCS.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Oh, I've pointed that out repeatedly in arguments elsewhere: a multi-week playoff is held at literally every other level of college football except FBS and somehow the students survive. :smile:
  • DrMike
    I’m not sure you could do a multi-week playoff without the home games that the lower divisions have. I’m not a big fan of all the home games. I’d be happy with 8 teams if the goal is to pick the best team. The 20 team playoff in FCS is ridiculous
  • Russ Bowlus
    16 or 8 teams seem like reasonable numbers to me, personally.
  • Zander
    I think 8 especially seems reasonable for FBS because you can have autobids for the P5 champions and a G5 team. For FCS I'd put the bare minimum at 12 so you could guarantee autobids to the playoff-eligible conferences while leaving at-large spots
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!