• BlueGoldAg
    The Ags hit the road for their second conference game when they tangle with Long Beach tonight at 7 pm. Long Beach picked up their first conference win last Saturday when they upset Santa Barbara in the Thunderdome. The Ags are hoping to bounce back after a disappointing loss at home to open their conference play last Thursday against UC Riverside.

The game will be televised on ESPN3 and Scott Marsh will have the radio PxP call on KHTK 1140 AM.

Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Pretty important road trip for the Ags. Two winnable games, tonight at the beach and Saturday at CSUN. Splitting would be "OK" but it sure would be nice to take two. Obviously, the Ags have to play better than they did last week. Beach is athletic but they don't have a bunch of scorers. If we can play tough team defense and take care of the ball on offense, we should have a good chance.

Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    i REALLY like to see them beat Long Beach. Them and Fullerton. And Poly. And Hawaii. And....
  • Toke69
    ESPN gives the Aggies a 56% chance of winning.
  • quadshock
    BigWest.TV added casting to their player, awesome
  • Toke69
    Mooney has range! He must have it a 3 from over 25 feet. If the Beach doesn't start playing better defense and stop turning the ball over, the Ags chances of winning are 100%
  • quadshock
    Wait is this game not streaming? wtf

I see now, ESPN3
  • Toke69
    I'm getting it streaming on ESPN3. Halftime now.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags up 45-32 at the half largely due to 8-17 from 3.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Long Beach is making a big run as the Age turn the ball over...
  • Toke69
    Good test for the Aggies composure.
  • quadshock
    We have some studs in the making on this team
  • quadshock
    sheesh 8-0 beach run in 24 secs. needs to hold on
  • quadshock
    Escaped 85-82
  • DrMike
    Yikes; held on but it was a nail biter.
  • Toke69
    Very odd ending to this game. Ags up by 10 with 29 seconds to go, but the game goes down to literally the last second. Ags give up 8 points in 22 seconds?!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Not a pretty second half, after a spectacular first half. But a road win is very sweet. Manjon and pepper were strong down the stretch
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think we were up 9 with 24 seconds and barely hung on but a win on the road in this conference is huge regardless of how we won. Our first half was about as good a half of basketball we've had this season. The Ags were led by Manjon and Pepper...2 true freshmen...that bodes well for us...
  • madcityscott
    LB shot 53% from both the 3 and overall. I’ll take a win anyway I can get it against a team that hot.

Neufeld and Koehler were a combined 1-for-7. It would sure be nice to get more production out of our bigs.

I enjoyed the TV announcers, who were fair and knowledgeable. (I tried to listen to Scott Marsh but couldn’t get the audio to sync with the TV broadcast.)
  • abridge
    Syncing audio and video can be tricky. On my Mac I use my web browser to capture the audio stream and then Audio Hijack to delay the stream to match the already delayed video feed. For the women, and KDVS, that is about 25 seconds when using ESPN3 or BigWest TV streams. For the men it's trickier because you're forced into using the (insert vile word here) syndication and often it's more delayed than the video (which takes effort). I may have to find a radio with a USB output and then capture that and sync that.
  • abridge
    There's a lot to like about Elijah Pepper. He's a terrific position rebounder and he's tough. Loose ball in his neighborhood? He'll be on the floor after it. And he's good with the ball around the hoop. So we have two really quality true freshmen.

But we really need some bigs who have hands and who can score. Somehow we can't find them.
  • DrMike
    we were up 15 early in the 2nd before LB made a 12-0 run to make it interesting. rallied late to pull away (seemingly!) in the last 5 minutes, unless LB made that crazy run in the last 30 seconds. gut check win, especially on the road.

i have to admit : when i saw Pepper v Sac i thought he looked WAY overmatched at this level. boy was i wrong. he's really settled down and has become one of our most dependable players. as abridge said, he's tough and does good things around the hoop.

i really like nuefeld but he can disappear for entire games, especially against athletic defense. he starts to rush, his footwork gets off, and his shot is not good -> almost like he's anticipating a block. if he can slow himself, and trust himself, he can be a solid scorer. we need that.
  • madcityscott
    Another issue with the TV broadcast was that it would slow down and then speed up, or just buffer for a few seconds.

Six technical fouls in that game! Crazy.
  • DrMike
    by the way, CSUN beat Riverside 80-68 on the road. Diane with 36. He's a load.

Hawaii struggled with Poly 65-61 on the island
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Its the start of another weird BW season. Poly, who some thought might not win a game in conference, has already beaten CSUN (clobbered) and played UH tough in Hawaii. Beach has two losses (one at home) but a road win at SB. There's probably other surprises...and we are only a week into conference play.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Manjon started out like a ball of fire this season then went through am awful shooting slump before getting back on track. Pepper has been a workhorse on defense and the boards in every game but he seemed hesitant on offense but his offensive game is starting to come around. He's tough as nails and gets rebounds despite not having the length and quickness of many of the bigger athletes he battling with in the paint. They're both going to be the future leaders of the team.

Les does a great job of molding a smart, disciplined team together even though we don't often have the length and quickness that many of the Big West teams have. I'd love to see us get a couple of athletic players with height and length to help give us more of an interior presence but, if we can't, then I'm happy if we can win with a 4 guard lineup that can knock down 3's at a high percentage and drive the ball to the hoop.

Koehler is a tough defender and has a nice jump shot as well but he lacks quickness inside against more athletic bigs. He also very competitive and has a bit of attitude, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, until he gets T'ed up. That's happened a couple of times this year. He's crafty with a little push or hook here and there and gets under the skin of some of the bigger players he's matched up with. I don't think that will serve him well in the long run.
  • quadshock
    The offense involves a lot of perimeter passing with a loose screen or two thrown in. It's good when it works, but I saw plenty of opportunities to pass inside to a big to keep the defense honest. Bigs should be able to draw fouls, if nothing else. That was the only really glaring weakness IMO
  • DrMike
    CSUN is a weird one; maybe that makes them normal in the Big West! Beat the Beach by 18, beat Riverside by 12....and....as you point out.....lose to Poly by 18! We want the CSUN Hydes on Saturday!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Diane is the key, of course. I think Poly got him into foul trouble, similar to how Carter had to sit out a lot of last nights 1st half. Hopefully we'll be able to get a few early fouls against him.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!