• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies picked up a nice road win at Long Beach on Thursday and now they travel to Northridge to play the high-flying Matadors of CSUN at 3 pm Saturday. CSUN is loaded with highly athletic athletes who score in bunches. Arguably the best player in the Big West, Lamine Diane, is averaging 28.8 ppg since he returned from academic ineligibility and he gets help from Terrell Gomez chipping in 20.8 ppg and Elijah Harkness adds 10.2 ppg.

The big question will be whether great defense by the Aggies can slow down great offense by the Matadors? The Ags will not want to get in a fast paced shootout and will need be the aggressor and control the pace of the game.

Televised live on ESPN3 and Scott Marsh will again have the PxP radio call on KHTK 1140 AM.

Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags lead 20-29 at the half. We've had a ton of good looks but are shooting only 31%...could have been up by double digits with decent shooting. Someone needs to catch fire in the second half to have a chance in this one.
  • Zander
    Pretty exciting game.

What was the discussion when they were showing all the WBB stats around halftime? I had the TV muted at the time
  • BlueGoldAg
    I didn't see that. I was away from the computer and just got back. Looks like this one is going down to the wire. Neither team is shooting well.
  • Zander
    Well, 2-0 on the weekend, on the road, on ESPN3.

Neither win was pretty at the end but I'm getting more and more confident in this team by the day. If we're not contenders this year I suspect we will be in the future given the young talent
  • 69aggie
    Had to miss this one. Anyway to get the rep[lay of the game?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags grind out another road win 66-62. Manjon and Pepper led the way again with 16 and 15 respectively. Mooney and Gonzalez had an off shooting night. We held Lamine to 9 under his average with only 19 and Gomez had 22 but we effectively stopped everyone else on CSUN.

One of the ESPN3 commentators said, "Jim Les gets more out of less than any coach in the country."
  • DrMike
    i was able to follow the first half and when we held them to under 30 I was feeling good. Young guys are carrying us offensively, but everybody is contributing on D. We have had many games where we’ve outtalented our opponent, but night in and night out we compete and give ourselves a chance to win.

I’m planning on coming up Wednesday -> free ticket for filling out the football survey!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Great road trip for the Ags. Defense travelled well this week and freshmen lead the way on offense. Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Fullerton just beat Long Beach 66-62 for their first conference win of the season. The Titans come to Davis on Wednesday.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I been saying for years now that Jim Les gets a lot out of the talent that he's able to get. We are usually not as quick or as long as many of the teams we play but we are fundamentally sound on offense and defense and he builds teams that are unselfish and have great chemistry. That goes a long way when our opponents are more talented overall.

Les is also masterful in managing the game as it is playing out barring a T now and then. We never lose a game due to poor coaching strategy or clock management during the game. He demands his players to be the aggressor and to be rock solid defenders. However, I really like the way this team is coming along offensively as well. We have great ball movement and our players are very dialed in to running our sets. We'll probably continue to struggle at times to get the shots to fall but we're executing well right now and getting open looks.
  • DrMike
    Agree with everything you say....which is why last season was so puzzling. We had a good group coming back, basically the team that won the league the year before (played a lot of the conference without Chima) but we never really challenged.
  • 69aggie
    This was a good game to watch after the fact so that you can concentrate on details. And i did that with Diane and others. I think Diane is an outlier in the BWC. He is so overwhelmingly more physically gifted than any other Mid Major big that I am aware of and certainly i n the BWC. But for the commentators to say this man is NBA material at this point I do not agree. He is big and long, but he is also not disciplined, perhaps poorly coached and pouty to boot. No charm there. He is no Chima IMHO. But the ESPN guys got it right when they commented that the UC Davis Frosh players, Pepper, Manjon, etc. were the most impressive players on the court today. Good game for the Ags away!! Is Fuller injured?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Fuller played 5 minutes in the Long Beach game and he didn't get injured. Was he on the bench today? May be under the weather...?
  • 69aggie
    Which is where I am now: flu. . . . Not bad but close!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I’m pretty sure I saw fuller on the bench. Could be sickness. Or maybe a matchup decision.
  • Toke69
    I had to watch the reply since I was tied up earlier. I'm pretty impressed with the way this team plays defense. I think they won both games this week on the strength of their D. It makes it all the more mysterious why they let the games get so close at the end. Makes for lots of excitement, but I don't know if my heart can take it. Looking forward to seeing them come to Hawaii next Saturday.
  • Zander
    I understand the potential the commentators see in Diane. With his shooting ability and length he could be a solid 3 in the NBA, especially if his outside shooting continues to improve. I watch a lot of Mountain West basketball (which despite what the folks on the Big West boards would argue, definitely is a higher level of competition if you look at national rankings) and Diane would easily be a starting 3 or 4 there. He'll be NBA-ready at some point even if he isn't right now.

Now would I rather have him compared to some of the best players (and in particular, shooters) that have come through our program? Probably not, especially with the academic eligibility stuff this year.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!