• SloStang
    UC Davis (FCS): Source tells FootballScoop Oregon defensive analyst Matt Coombs is expected to be Dan Hawkins new defensive coordinator. Before joining Oregon’s staff this past off-season, Coombs was slated to serve as Eastern Oregon’s defensive coordinator. Prior to that, Coombs had spent a number of seasons on Boise State’s staff.
  • movielover
    Edit: Coach Tucker's Twitter is fine. We competed against some tough competition. Being a D Coordinator in the Big Sky is a challenge.

https://mobile.twitter.com/roberttucker_20

NCAA FCS Stats, 2019

Total Defense

2. NDSU, 274 YPG
    36. Sac State, 356.9 YPG
    103. UC Davis, 444 YPG
    104. EWU

UCD - Scoring Defense #76, red zone Def #72, team Sacks #36.

Total Offense #22.
  • CA Forever
    That's a big jump from defensive analyst to DC even if it was at an FBS
  • movielover
    Bellevue High School Football, 2016:

"Matt is in his 3nd year coaching at Bellevue High School after coaching the two years in the Junior Wolverine Program. He is in his 2nd year as defensive coordinator."

"Matt is a BHS graduate and was a captain on the 2001 and 2002 state championship teams. In 2002 he was named the Seattle Times Class 3A player of the year. He graduated from Yale University in 2007 and was a member of the 2006 Ivy League Championship team. Matt works in commercial real estate in Bellevue and enjoys attending sporting events and playing golf in his spare time."
  • DrMike
    i would be very surprised it Tucker is gone, since he and Hawk are very close and i think the defense has been pretty decent the past two years. We had a few tough games early on, but played Montana State and Sacramento pretty well, until we wore down late. Played NDSU as well (if not better) than anyone else.

as for twitter....i saw two accounts, one deleted and other last active in December. banquet is next sunday. be interesting to see what's up there.
  • SloStang
    UC Davis (FCS): Source tells FootballScoop Kansas defensive quality control Chidera Uzo-Diribe has been offered and is expected to accept the defensive line job at Davis.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Wow...sounds like the Aggie coaching staff is changing rapidly. I wonder why this is happening? His bio is still up on the Aggie football roster and, as Mike said, there's still an active twitter account for him.

I thought our defense was pretty good and getting better each year under Tucker. He also had great recruiting connections for SoCal since he recruited that area during his HC tenures at West Valley College and Los Angeles Valley College.
  • movielover
    And he had a tough challenge losing his top 2 LBs.

Dominant defense? No. But I thought reviewing the stats our offensive production had dropped way off, likely a combination of Doss graduating, injuries & tougher schedule. Tough for the D facing 3 and out, 6 and out, multiple times.

LBs should be deep this year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/roberttucker_20
  • movielover
    An Aggie moves from DIII to DI.

"Matt Wade, who had been working as the offensive coordinator at Pacific University, was named to the same position on the [SUU] Thunderbirds' football staff this upcoming season, replacing Justin Walterscheid, who was fired after nine seasons in Cedar City."

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports/college/2020/01/17/what-matt-wades-hire-tells-us-southern-utahs-offense-next-year/4503072002/
  • movielover
    He was at Colorado for 3 or 4 years, some as an intern & GA.
  • CA Forever
    Woah the defensive staff is getting blown up.
  • 69aggie
    I must agree with DrMike. Tucker and Hawk go way way back. Not like Hawk to toss old friends under the bus. The “UC Davis source” sounds vague to me. We will seee. I think Tuckers done a good job.
  • DrMike
    plus the fact that there’s been no announcement about people leaving. Might be a reshuffling of people; lot of turnover on the D line so maybe bringing in a second voice. We’ll see
  • movielover
    The interesting question - beyond a QB - how did Sac turn it around so quickly? Did they prove that solid coaches can coach at any level?
  • SloStang
    Both coaches might of accepted a job at another school and it has not been announced yet.

Aristotle Thompson was retained by Beau Baldwin and then excepted a job with Cal. Cal announced it earlier this week. Cal Poly has not. Aristotle is still listed as a coach at GoPoly.com.
  • DrMike
    remember that sac was 7-4 in 2017 with many of the guys who played big roles last year. 2018 was a disaster with injuries. That and combined with Sears not being a very coach. It was a good situation for a bright coach to step into.
  • Riveraggie
    Recruiting defensive linemen the last few years he not been an area of notable success.
  • 69aggie
    Which probably explains why Hawk was most excited about landing that 330 pound nose tackle out of Vallejo. I do not believe we have ever has such a large player who is also quick and very good.
  • movielover
    Aren't you forgetting Suani (329 #s)? Peacock (redshirted) and Morgan solid newcomers. We had a veteran line, so this next year it will be interesting how Nixon, George, Hunkin & Siembieda pan out. It would be nice to add size or speed from the outside from the JC.
  • Riveraggie
    Not to knock our underclassmen DL but we haven’t signed many. Last year zero.
  • movielover
    Maybe those slots went to TEs or WRs? :cool:

Edit: anyone know the situation w/ 6'6" 245# DL Zack Kennedy NLI 2019? His twitter & DL coach say he'll compete w us next year. I thought he decommitted and decided to go to Fresno?

He would be another potential great addition.

https://twitter.com/Coach_Hupp/status/1207424178824994817?s=20
  • aggiebrother
    Tuck left. He wasn’t fired. Wanted to go back to being a head coach at JC, i’m told. Big changes for the Ags coaching staff in coming weeks under Hawk. Just wait and see. This past year was an eye opener. We got outcoached in a lot of games.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Well that kind of sucks but thanks for the update.
  • CA Forever
    Wow... Thanks for the insight. Changes just on defense or are we looking at some offensive changes too?
  • movielover
    Does he have a gig lined up? So do I have this correct ...

Matt Coombs - new Defensive Coordinator - 34?, 4 yrs HS coach; Boise State - 2 yrs Quality assistant & 2 yrs DB coach.

Chidera Uzo-Diribe - Defensive Line - 26, 3 yrs as a graduate assistant at Colorado.
  • 69aggie
    “This last year was an eyeopener. We got out coached in a lot of games”? To my knowledge this is the first time this issue has come up. No player, coach, commentator, or sports writer has even suggested this was a problem this year. Loss of Doss, injuries, ineligible player yes! Coaching NO! Also if Tucker left voluntarily how is this evidence that he was a poor coach? Aggiebrother, with all due respect, allegations like this need to be supported with facts or be better left unsaid IMHO.
  • movielover

I looked at the numbers a few times last year, and one number that popped out was our big decrease in scoring. Doss, injuries, better comp, competition dialed into our new offense (fewer surprises). Defense held pretty steady, esp w injuries & tougher schedule.

Offense - PPG

2019: 28.67 (28% drop)
    2018: 39.69

Total Yards
    2019: 433 (11.5% drop)
    2018: 488.9

Passing / Rushing
    2019: 309 / 123 (P - 4% drop ; R - 11.5% drop)
    2018: 322 / 166

Opponents

Offense - PPG
    2019: 29.33 (7% increase)
    2018: 27.38

Total Yards
    2019: 444.3 (2.8% increase)
    2018: 431.8
  • CA Forever
    Maybe a change of scenery will really benefit the defense. Yes our offense was way down compared the the previous season which will play a role in the win loss ratio but in terms of total offense we were still ranked in the top 25 in FCS in terms of yards and average in points scored. You're not going to win a lot of games when the defense is allowing well over 400 yards and almost 30 points per game. As movie pointed out earlier, we didn't necessarily score points in proportion to the number of yards we put up, but the defense simply wasn't good.
  • movielover
    Our offensive numbers were juiced up via 79 points vs USD & Lehigh.

Take those 2 games out, and we're averaging 26.5 PPG.
  • 69aggie
    Still, to pin all of these worse numbers on the coaching staff is problematical. Could equally be personnel deficiencies or harder schedule which no one would argue were not a factor in the last season. We will see. Tucker has been with Hawk forever so still a big surprise.
  • aggiebrother
    i don’t want to reveal sources, but i have a connection to the team. you don’t have to believe me, i’m not here to change any opinions. tuck and hawk didn’t see eye to eye this last season on a lot of schemes, personnel, and final decision making on the defensive side. those were all decisions that hawk wanted to make. i think it was a mutual parting.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!